WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been mulling over a few watch boxes on Etsy. I had purchased one that looked lovely, but upon arrival the craftsmanship was rather lacking in the fine details. The wood was rubbing and had the faintest amount of splitting where the lid was improperly fitted with the hinge, the hinges themselves looked like a tool was used to pry them into place leaving marks on the surrounding wood, there were small nicks that looked due to how it was handled than imperfections already present in the wood. For the price this seller was charging (Almost $400) I asked for a refund and mentioned as such my reasoning.

As I look at others, I've become far more attuned to details and my eyes have gone a bit cross at what justifies a price. There are quite a few of these rustic/bamboo wood style things that in my opinion, look rather cheap and much like the stuff you see on Amazon and those are often around $100 +/-. I bought a very cheap watch box for my more inexpensive watches, but I want a high quality and luxurious one for my nicer watches.

I do like Birdseye Maple as it looks quite nice to me. I also really like burl wood, and there are some with a high lacquer finish that look great, but I find myself questioning how much labor and effort went into the production as opposed to profiteering just for the sake of it. Here is one such burl watchbox, quite lovely looking but worth $500?

Another in English Oak which looked quite well made, if more simply finished.

There was another watch box which looked decent to me, but one of the joints looked crooked. I questioned the seller on it for more pictures, and he became a little defensive (I did not insinuate a lack of quality, only a simple question). His pictures seemed to reinforce to me that it is indeed crooked ever so slightly, and the response has me a little untrusting despite his seller reputation that he perhaps is not as detailed and the happy buyers may well not be as critical to have raised any complaint.

It seems many lack this attention to detail on the watch box. I am not opposed to that per se, but rather unsure at what price point that's acceptable. A simple answer I know, just being whatever I'm comfortable with, but wanted to hear some other opinions from those who bought a handmade watch box your criteria and the general quality level. I personally know myself that as I get frustrated with the quality of lesser priced ones, I just increase the amount I'm willing to spend until I'm spending far more than I ever intended to. I can appreciate many of these watch boxes are well made and made with best intentions, but there are clearly different levels of quality when it comes to detail and finishing same as with watch brands themselves.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
This is a tough question! On one hand, I sympathize with your question about what justifies a $500 watch box. On the other hand, it keeps your multi-thousand dollar watches. But its not like its a carrying case that actually provides shock absorption or anything like that. For what its worth, I am in the same search, and it is tough! My old watch box was a gift but the glass has become dislodged.

I am currently looking at this:

Sometimes I am not even sure its worth $80 lol. But I do really like the straps drawer (or extra watch drawer) and the valet on top for when you are going to wear the same watch the next day no need to go through the pillow and lid (first world problems, i know!)

Every time a watch box really catches my eye online, its like $1500 and Im like thats another watch i could buy.

Ill be interested in what you decide upon or find.

Did you get the refund you requested?

I saw one leather watch case on amazon for $65 i loved but hesitated. It sold out the next day and its only available on etsy now for more than double the price. The seller probably bought it on ebay.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I found that most watch boxes were pretty uninspiring when scrutinised.

I finally found one with exceptional build quality and finish. I picked it up in Paris but you can buy them online. The place is called Compagnie Française de l’Orient et de la Chine. They're made in Vietnam (not China) I think.

Here's the link:

To their facebook page:

Compagnie Française de l’Orient et de la Chine

Here's the link to their online retail; site:

Les collections d’objets décoration Asiatique fabrication artisanale - CFOC

I bought the blue lacquer watch box that has four slots. It's 300 Euros and worth it for the build quality and looks. It's 'piano' finished

COFFRET À MONTRES -- laque

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I found that most watch boxes were pretty uninspiring when scrutinised.

I finally found one with exceptional build quality and finish. I picked it up in Paris but you can buy them online. The place is called Compagnie Française de l’Orient et de la Chine. They're made in Vietnam (not China) I think.

Here's the link:

To their facebook page:

Compagnie Française de l’Orient et de la Chine

Here's the link to their online retail; site:

Les collections d’objets décoration Asiatique fabrication artisanale - CFOC

I bought the blue lacquer watch box that has four slots. It's 300 Euros and worth it for the build quality and looks. It's 'piano' finished

COFFRET À MONTRES -- laque

View attachment 15883109 View attachment 15883110
Nice! Thanks for the link!

Now you have to post a pic with your watches in it!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the link!

Now you have to post a pic with your watches in it!
I only have a few out of the safe at the moment and my wife has taken off with one of them. Her's what's left...

Reactions: cykrops

·
Registered
502 Posts
I use the wolf watch-box as well. It’s not wooden or piano finish. But looks quite nice imo.

What I really want is their British racing green box. Costs $445 right now. Waiting for their annual sale to pick it up at a discount.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you get the refund you requested?
Yeah, there was no issue with that seller he was understanding. I wish it had been either good enough or significantly less, as it wasn't poorly finished just not as good as I'd expect for the price.

That green watchbox I actually did find for $400, but it's an Analog Shift branded version and no keylock just a button release (I prefer, since I wouldn't lock it). But I contacted the seller who makes the burl wood box above and asked about a custom green interior just like the one in the post above me as I like that green but love the wood finish. Price goes up to around $650-700 IIRC or I could buy the regular burl one shown above for $500, not against that interior color just that the green would look really good to me and makes me think of a billiards table or something.

There are some on Etsy which seem to likely be ok quality, nothing outstanding in the $100-150 range or so. But I do wonder how much some of these makers of these are milking people considering cost of raw materials and factoring in their time to make it. For now I have my cheaper watches in a really cheap $20 watch box, it's ok quality but the main issue is that the pillows don't fit tightly and they're very small so there's a risk of crowns bumping into the case side of other watches. Thus for now I have not put any of my nicer watches in the case and handle it carefully when taking one out or putting back in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts