WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fine watches with factory supplied cases used to have little staight line scratches barely visible on case frame near movement. By the adjuster? Trying to verify Gruen adjusting for 8 positions as inscribed in some high grade movements in gold pentagon cases.
Here a Gruen V1 with 14 marks. Lemania 7 position with 12. Waltham Maximus 5 position with 5.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Have been dependably informed marks have nothing to do with movements. Are for case assembly only.

However, I have seen this marking in simple gold w.w. cases with only 2 friction fit pieces not requiring assembly matching in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I've also noticed those marks hand applied on the inside edge of several Swiss cases. Seems to be combination of straight angled slash marks. Hope you can make out these from a circa 1920 silver-cased Swiss watch. I'd love to know their meaning!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
These scratched markings may have different purposes by different scratchers. Some like roman numbers, others not. Surely some experienced old timer can explain, unlike my age 80 self.

Another example consistent in that on original factory supplied gold case for adjusted watch.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
On one watch I posted with this, one of the experts pointed out my markings were actually Roman numerals of the case number... But I confess I didn't see it.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the Gruen Forum the well known collectible expert Cary Hurt clearly and simply describes the marks as partial Roman numerial case numbers, even for simple 2 piece w.w. cases, used to ensure case parts properly matching. Simple answer to my question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts