WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there three distinct measurements when it comes to watches advertised by retailers - I ask as I seem to have confused myself.

1) Does 'case size' refer to the "north south" dimensions of the watch body i.e. from leg end to lug end across the diameter of the face. This can of course mean that the actual watch face is considerably smaller then the stated dimension. So, for example, a watch case of 48mm may in fact translate into a watch face size of 40mm, once bezel and lugs have been removed from the equation?

2) When watch 'diameters' are quoted, does this typically include the crown? So even a '44 mm diameter' watch has a watch face of maybe 40mm one the crown/ bezel is excluded? This also means 'watch case' does not equal 'watch diameter'...

3) Why do retailers then not just quote the actual face diameter, excl crown and lugs? It only recently occurred to me that watches that look best on my wrist have a watch-face diameter of between 35mm and 38mm. But when retailers quote 'watch diameters' as 44mm, I immediately switch off, as its virtually impossible to gauge then how large the actual face is.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Are there three distinct measurements when it comes to watches advertised by retailers - I ask as I seem to have confused myself.

1) Does 'case size' refer to the "north south" dimensions of the watch body i.e. from leg end to lug end across the diameter of the face. This can of course mean that the actual watch face is considerably smaller then the stated dimension. So, for example, a watch case of 48mm may in fact translate into a watch face size of 40mm, once bezel and lugs have been removed from the equation?
Case size in usually from 9 to 3, not including the crown.

2) When watch 'diameters' are quoted, does this typically include the crown? So even a '44 mm diameter' watch has a watch face of maybe 40mm one the crown/ bezel is excluded? This also means 'watch case' does not equal 'watch diameter'...
No, the crown is not included

3) Why do retailers then not just quote the actual face diameter, excl crown and lugs? It only recently occurred to me that watches that look best on my wrist have a watch-face diameter of between 35mm and 38mm. But when retailers quote 'watch diameters' as 44mm, I immediately switch off, as its virtually impossible to gauge then how large the actual face is.
The "face diameter" is usually the diameter of the exposed portion of the dial.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
the thing that bugs me is that the case length (lug to lug) is not mentioned too often in specs..................I have smaller wrists & if a watch is too long it hangs over my wrist & rolls around too much. i.e. a 44mm diameter watch w/ a 46-48mm case length fits me better than a watch w/ the same diameter but a 50mm length.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
With "face" you mean the dial.
As I see it, it would be wrong representation to (only) mention the Diameter of the dial. The reason is that some watches have a thin bezel, other have a very wide bezel
Quick example of a thin bezelled watch:

Vintage Baume & Mercier

And a thick bezelled one:
Rolex Deepsea etc

The two dials are approx of the same diameter, but the actual watch/case diameter is hugely different.

You could never imagine how large the Rolex is just by knowing the Dial diameter. NB the inner retaining/pressure distributing ring. The Dial is counted without this inner ring.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Heh, see my point. Four posts in we have case size measured in two different manners :-d
Not really.

On a round watch, the 3-9 measurement will be the same as the 2-8 or 4-10 measurement. provided the crown (and guards if pressent) are not included, as per accepted norm.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Now, that is a beauty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts