WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helloo!

Guys, I need your opinion. I'm at the stage where i'm pruning off all watches that get no wrist time. I'm aiming for a 5 watch collection with a one-in/one-out rule.
I realize through time that it didn't make sense to me to have so many.

The issue: I have 6 and there's one where I am having a hard time deciding whether it warrants being sold.

The Cons
  • Diver that sits tall on my small wrist
  • Simply getting less and less wrist time

The Pros:

• Discontinued but can still be found for 300 bucks or less
  • Even though it's a diver and tall, it fits my small wrist due to the small case size

So, for those with a small collection and/or have successfully been able to consolidate to a small collection, how do you convince yourself to let go of your black sheep, but good value proposition watch? ...Balancing quantity vs value.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
If you don't wear it, sell it.

I don't believe much in this "when is there a good market to sell which model" stuff. On ebay, it's a the detailed description and good pictures that count.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
That's called an "office watch" because it sits on the desk in your office in case you forget to wear one or the watch you start off with in the morning stops working.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
I decide to sell a watch when I want something else, more.

I try to practice a one-out / one-in policy, so if there's something I really want, something else has to go, first. Really makes me consider purchases, and I've avoided some impulse buys as a result. And also, my finances are such that I have a limited budget to play with where watches are concerned, so much of that is out of sheer necessity.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Just because a watch is a good value, or hard to find, or other people love it, doesn’t mean you should keep it.
As most here will tell you, once you seriously consider selling a certain watch, it’s the clearest signal your subconscious gives that a watch should go.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Once you even consider selling a watch in your collection, it's all over for that watch.
Sell it and sell it hard.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
if its discontinued but costs less than 300 I doubt it will ever become really expensive.. If you really miss you can always buy it again

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I sold a limited edition German watch because I was afraid to wear it. Bought four users for the money and never looked back. Yeah, I want to pare down as well, but these inexpensive watches are a lot of fun and put a smile on my face... or wrist... somewhere... I don't really miss the LE that I never wore. Time to sell a few others.

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,024 Posts
Looking at your Pros list, I see no reason to keep it. Discontinued BUT...and FITS?
Deal it. And don't forget to highlight what makes it so wonderful (discontinued and fits...)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah. i like the watch box idea but buying another one will just push me to fill it with more watches.

But, as per above, there is enough arguments for me to sell it.
...i want to be done with this collecting thing. more anxiety than fun these days

·
Registered
188 Posts
The only reason not to sell these sorts of watches is if the effort required exceeds the money you will gain. I have a large number of watches that are under $25 that make much more sense to re-gift than to sell.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Helloo!

Guys, I need your opinion. I'm at the stage where i'm pruning off all watches that get no wrist time. I'm aiming for a 5 watch collection with a one-in/one-out rule.
I realize through time that it didn't make sense to me to have so many.

The issue: I have 6 and there's one where I am having a hard time deciding whether it warrants being sold.

The Cons
  • Diver that sits tall on my small wrist
  • Simply getting less and less wrist time

The Pros:

• Discontinued but can still be found for 300 bucks or less
  • Even though it's a diver and tall, it fits my small wrist due to the small case size

So, for those with a small collection and/or have successfully been able to consolidate to a small collection, how do you convince yourself to let go of your black sheep, but good value proposition watch? ...Balancing quantity vs value.

Thanks.
Currently I’m in the thinning process myself. I have a very long road to go as I have quite a few watches that are watch box queens. It’s funny how at one time you were so excited about certain pieces only to find through the months and years that the pieces are overlooked on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
Only 2 reasons I will keep a watch I don’t wear;
1) sentimental reasons.
2) there’s a few watches I have that bring me enjoyment just looking at them, and handling them, though I never wear them for various reasons. These are also watches I know I can not replace if I regret selling. Mostly vintage pieces.

Aside from those 2 reasons, I don’t keep watches I don’t wear.

Sell it. If you regret it down the line, you know you can replace it. No point in letting it sit in your watch box depreciating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
71,277 Posts
It’s discontinued so I’d put it away for 6 months and if I never thought “I wish I had ***** to wear” then you know you can sell it.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Get a six slot watch box and keep it.
I did this when I wanted to shrink my collection to 5 watches: I bought a nice 5-slot watch box.

Now I have 10+ watches because I never got rid of my original 10-slot watch box. :-x In my defense, it had drawers which were nice to store watch accessories in.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Yeah. i like the watch box idea but buying another one will just push me to fill it with more watches.

But, as per above, there is enough arguments for me to sell it.
...i want to be done with this collecting thing. more anxiety than fun these days
I know what you mean. I had a full six slot box. Wound up buying a nicer, wider one. Now I have two full six slot boxes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts