WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been collecting watches for several years now and had picked up quite a few. Some that were regular rotation watches and some that rarely got worn. I had Swiss, Japanese, Chinese, Russian & US built. The highest end one was a pair of Hamilton's. I also had 14 winders in service and a couple in backup so it was a bit out of control!

A couple weeks ago, I though about refocusing my collection. I wanted a centerpiece watch and then I wanted some good alternatives. So I put 14 watches on the market. Thanks to WUS, I was able to find new homes for everyone of them in 2 weeks!

Here is what I sold:
Ocean7 - LM5-GMT - ETA movement
Deep Blue - Daynight T100 - Miyota movement
Vostock - Komanderskie - Vostok movement
Vostock - Amphibia - Vostok movement
Orient - CEY04002B - Orient movement
Orient - Orange Mako - Orient movement
Orient - Flight - Orient movement
Alpha - Daytona - Sea Gull movement
Parnis - Power Reserve - Sea Gull movement
Parnis - Fleiger - Sea Gull movement
SeaPro - Scuba Pro - Miyota movement
Hamilton - Khaki King Scuba - ETA movement
Ticino - Marine Watch - Miyota movement
6 Boxy Brick Watch Winders

Here is what I kept:
Hamilton - Khaki Field Automatic - ETA movement
Orient - Blue Mako - Orient movement
Sea Gull - M308S - Sea Gull movement
Deep Blue - Pro Aqua 1500 - Miyota movement

Here is what I bought:
Omega - Seamaster GMT2534.50 - Omega movement
Steinhart - Ocean 1 Green - ETA movement
Stowa - Marine Automatic - ETA movement

I am down to 7 watches and am very happy with my collection. The Sea Gull is my dress watch so it really doesn't get out much. It may be the next on the block!

Just thought I would share.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Nice job! I do think this is the way to go, with a centerpiece backed up by some quality pieces that are all genuinely appreciated for their own reasons. For some, having a lot of watches is part of the attraction in a collection but I prefer getting fewer pieces that take longer to acquire. The annoying thing about the latter method is the amount of time that passes in between purchases... perusing through this forum certainly doesn't help and it does take a lot of self restraint to stay the course!

Reactions: jpc763

·
Registered
12,439 Posts
Great job! Pictures of your current 7-watch collection would be awesome!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I recently did kind of the same thing. I have a few that I've had for years and then started collecting again and quickly realized I had to focus. Bought, sold, traded about 20 watches in the last 3 months. Now I'm down to the core watches and 6 tool divers, carefully picking the ones I like. I only by on the secondary market right now so it's a bit of a hunt which is fun :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great job! Pictures of your current 7-watch collection would be awesome!
As requested! I have 4 of them on this computer. I will need to post the other 3 when I get home from work.

IMG_2271 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2315 (Medium).JPG

steinhart.jpg

ProAqua.jpg

Reactions: WTM and Perseus

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Good work so far. But the Steinhard was a mistake. If you want a Submariner so much, sell all your divers and buy it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good work so far. But the Steinhard was a mistake. If you want a Submariner so much, sell all your divers and buy it.
I did not buy it because I wanted a Submariner - I bought it because I like IT. I am not a big Rolex fan even though this is a Sub homage.

You don't own a Seiko!?
I don't own one YET.

·
Registered
12,439 Posts
Nice! Thank you for posting up some pictures!

·
Premium Member
8,614 Posts
Man, that Sea-Gull is nice, and only somewhat dressy. You should wear it more! Personally, I'd wear it with fairly casual clothes... jeans and polos kind of things.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I'm in an exactly same situation and I'm currently getting rid off all of my watches (except the Sinn 103 and Limes Endurance GMT 3) and starting all over.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Congrats on taking the initiative with good result! How difficult was it to move a number of 'value' watches? I'm sitting on two that I force to have wrist time and even then, it is very little. Maybe the right thing for me to do is "move 'm out".

·
Premium Member
71,277 Posts
I don't think I could flip one watch let alone as many as you did. More kudos to you for being able to prune so heavily.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Very solid! Glad my Stowa found a good home, and I love the Omega.

I second the above: How hard was it flipping lower-end watches? I have a few Russian watches I never wear, and that'd be happy to let go for basically shipping ...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I see a lot of guys like you that accumulate a large number of (generally inexpensive watches) and wonder how you keep them all straight. If they were quartz, you'd be constantly changing batteries, and with autos you have to keep them on winders (must have been loud!) I like the idea of a focused set of watches that all get worn regularly. That's what I've been doing and it works pretty well. I haven't had to sell any of mine yet (I sold two for a friend and it wasn't too bad; had them both sold in two weeks.)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats on taking the initiative with good result! How difficult was it to move a number of 'value' watches? I'm sitting on two that I force to have wrist time and even then, it is very little. Maybe the right thing for me to do is "move 'm out".
I sold them quickly because I priced them reasonably.
I don't think I could flip one watch let alone as many as you did. More kudos to you for being able to prune so heavily.
Probably the only one I wish I had kept was the Ocean7.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts