WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

New to this group. I have always loved swiss watches from a very young age, and it wasn't until 2 years ago that I received my first luxurious time piece as a wedding gift from my wife - The Breitling Navitimer World. This year for my 30th, I was fortunate enough to receive my second iconic piece for my 30th birthday, which was the Omega Speedmaster (Hesalite front and Saphire display caseback), which you can see in the photo!

I am thinking about my third time piece, and really I would like to hear about your thoughts on some ideas!

I am after the most 'iconic' time pieces - pieces which are timeless and actually had some form of an impact in the history of watch making. Few of the pieces I have in mind are:

- Rolex Submariner - Steel with black face

- Rolex Submariner - Two tone (blue face)

- Rolex Deepsea 44mm - Steel with black face

- JLC Reverso (I'm not sure which one has the largest face?) - Steel on leather

- IWC Portuguese - Not sure if this really fits into the category of 'iconic' but always liked the look of them!

Budget wise - I'd say somewhere between $7000-$14,000 in AUD (used market prices - I don't want to buy retail!)

Would be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts!!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
887 Posts
Look into the history of movement development andpick out watches which advanced watchmaking in that regard. First automatic hronographs,etc

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,134 Posts
Three of five choices are Rolex, so obviously you like those, so choosing one them that suits you best wouldn't be bad, I am sure--BUT, two chronos already, perhaps adding another sports-oriented watch isn't really a good way to balance your collection. If the IWC Port that you are thinking of is the chrono version, you probably don't need that, but if not, then either of the IWC or the JLC would make a good dress watch to counter what you have already--I personally wouldn't care what road a manufacturer went down in terms of development, as long as the end result was an excellent timepiece, and all five of your choices are.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know what that's a very good point you got there mate! Perhaps JLC reverso calendar might be better suited to be like a 'dress watch', which will somewhat balance our my current choices. But mind you, I do definitely want a rolex sub/deepsea in the collection, although it's another sports watch... IWC is kind of my least favourite option.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very interesting way to look at it mate - I like it! I like the two tone but not sure if it's too 'flashy' looking. The great thing about a submariner is it's discrete class in my opinion...but then again, that two tone blue dial rolex sub is just so cool!!

·
Registered
21,068 Posts
Not at all a fan of two-tone, especially the Submariner in two tone.

If I were you, I'd look at either a Reverso (something with a sub seconds) or the black dial, no date steel Submariner. Be sure to try on the Reverso first though; I hear they can wear kind of funny if you're used to more conventional watches.

Personally, I think something like this would give you something you could wear in dressy situations and casually as well:

As an aside, do you have more pictures of the Speedmaster? I wasn't aware that Omega sold one with a hesalite crystal and a sapphire back. I thought they only did the hesalite crystal and steel back or the sapphire sandwich.

Reactions: mpalmer

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey mate! Great sugestion also, love the simple reverso watches!

My speedy is a 1999 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3872.50.01, which has a hesalite crystal and saphire clear back. It took me forever to find one but when I did it was very much worth the wait!! It has tritium dials as well so real nice. Photos attached!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Have been to the AD and tried on both a sub and sea-dweller. You need to try both on to find which bests fits you and you feel you connect with. I would stay well clear of a two tone sub as I think they are awful and tacky but that's simply my opinion. For me the sea sweller is too big and I like the classic orginal no date sub espically now with the 4 lines text, bracelet and clasp and ceramic bezel

·
Registered
33 Posts
You're building up a nice collection. Congrats! Now what you need IMO is something quite different... e.g., a classic non-chrono, something simple, and vintage. What about an early Rolex 5513?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you!! That Rolex is a very nice piece indeed! For some reason I'm still very much drawn to the iconic subs and deepseas, but maybe after either one of these I will want a vintage Rolex haha

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Hesalite front and sapphire back? Like the mullet of wristwatches. But it is still pretty cool.
I'd say go for the two tone blue dial Sub.

·
Registered
185 Posts
How about a Zenith El Primero, or if you want something a little more unusual an El Primero Striking 10th?

Or for iconic non chronograph, a Rolex Explorer 1?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha yeah! It's cool because they dont make this combination anymore. I really loved the hesalite but really wanted to be able to see the movement. When I discovered the 3752's, I was on a missiom after that haha!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts