WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a very big twitter and facebook user. I was very excited to see that now some big watch companies are moving onto social network sites and creating groups and fan pages. However from what I know some people liked it the old way where the outreach of these brands was exclusive. What do you think... Should these brands embrace web 2.0 or stick with the old one. I found a new article with some more details http://www.jewelerslounge.com/facebook-myspace-and-twitter-the-new-outlet-of-the-luxury-brands-770

What do you think?

James

·
Registered
168 Posts
Considering technology isn't going anywhere in the near future, I'm all for manufacturers and retailers embracing it and utilizing it to grow. If consumers feel as if the fan base has been watered down and is now less-exclusive, sorry, but a watch company's goal is to make money, and if facebooking and tweeting (twittering?) assist in that, more power to them. I FB & Twitter, and thoroughly enjoy it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
There are several reasons your seeing this. But If you look at the interaction or lack there off of these pages vs forums. You can easily see that the brands get a lot more valuable interactions on the forums.

I personally run about half a dozen fan pages for various brands. As well as a watch discussion forum. So I feel I am experienced enough with both to make such a statement.

Industry publications run articles by so called experts which don't really know much about net marketing at all.

They will tell you that your business, or brand has got to be on Myspace. Then that tanks and they tell you that you have to be on Linkedin. Then that goes no where. Now they tell you have to be on Facebook, and Twitter.

They make it sound like all you have to do is take a few minutes to throw up a fan page. Invite a few people and let the rest take care of itself. This is a massive load of bull.

You have to work hard with any of the mediums or your page/forum will just sit there.

Even if you put an equal amount of work into the social network sites, and a forum. The forum will get much more of the interaction which benefits the brands, and their fans.

The fact is the forums are made for some serious interaction. Sites like Twitter give you a whole 140 or so characters to play with. You can't say anything with that.

Bottom line is great forums like WUS which is arguably the best there is.

Far better than any of the existing social networks when it comes to bringing watch fans and brands together to share their passion.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I tend to agree with Tom. I should think that the Forum and the Blog tend to be more suitable for research and exchanging information about watches than social networks.
As for Twitter, if "I'm wearing my Vostok Europe Metro today. I like it." is a suitable way of communicating, go for it I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts