WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A place for all watches in the grey area. $500+. There is no set price limit. We will let the crowd decide by itself what the cap might be.

These are watches obtained new or pre-owned from AD, grey-market, or private sellers.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
$2.5k is getting up there for me. But sometimes I can find great deals if shopping around. I could afford it, but really wouldn't justify it unless I was going to sell other watches. But if you want to talk about it here, I would certainly be interested in hearing about those watches. And looking for pre-owned deals to get them! I have been casually browsing around at Sinn and Damasko a lot lately, but haven't done it yet.

I just recently bought my first TAG Heuer. A Formula 1 GMT with Batman bezel. It is the most I have spent on a watch, totaling over $1500 after taxes and that is from a greymarket retailer that had a bin sale on eBay. I think TAG are harder to find good deals on because the name is so popular even among people who don't know about watches. The watch was an excellent condition pre-owned. IMO, the watch case has a very high attention to detail, it has just the right curves on it and the lugs taper in a way that makes the 41mm watch fit like a smaller watch. It sits perfectly flat on the wrist all the time. And it is well built. I can't hear it at all. There is no rotor noise, no ticking noise, nothing. Unless I go to a really quiet place and firmly press the crown up in my ear. It is solid. The bracelet fits well, although the clasp is a bit lacking (its a basic double-snap pressure clasp).

I have always liked the Formula 1 range. I like the aggressive and sport look. And I like the numerals that they put on the dial. Aquaracers don't have those. And I wasn't looking for a diver.
This is Calibre 7 GMT (base 2893-2). I have other watches with this ETA movement and they don't feel quite as refined as they do in this TAG. I think TAG must have added some modifications to the Calibre 7, or maybe its just the quality of the case and crown that enhances the feel of it. But hacking and setting it feels so smooth. It does have a screw-down crown and is water resistant to 200meters, so technically could be used for diving. Superluminova indices, hands and markers. I am proud that I found this one and it is one that I have been wearing frequently. Although, I do think it is comparable to brands like Oris, Ball, Christopher Ward, which often can be found with deals for lower prices. But in this instance, I wanted the TAG.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
If you are down with quartz, you will not find a better watch pound for pound than a GS 9f. Each of these I purchased for less than 2k. One of them I sold without even taking a loss.

Personally, I prefer to buy used because you can get terrific deals. These were around 1.5k.

Lastly, I think the Sinn556 and Oris Aquis offer the best deals used for a good, high quality watch at a low price. I actually think the Archimede Outdoor is the best deal, but I like my 556 model better. Ball watches also offer a lot in this segment if found used, but I really hate some of their designs.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are down with quartz, you will not find a better watch pound for pound than a GS 9f. Each of these I purchased for less than 2k. One of them I sold without even taking a loss.
View attachment 15341206

Personally, I prefer to buy used because you can get terrific deals. These were around 1.5k.
View attachment 15341214

View attachment 15341216

Lastly, I think the Sinn556 and Oris Aquis offer the best deals used for a good, high quality watch at a low price. I actually think the Archimede Outdoor is the best deal, but I like my 556 model better. Ball watches also offer a lot in this segment if found used, but I really hate some of their designs.
Wow. Awesome watches. I have been buying from private sellers often recently. I just bought a Damasko actually, got a great deal on it. I will post it here tomorrow. Sinn 556 or 556a are models that I have been looking at a lot lately. Almost bought one before I decided to go with the Damasko. I would love to see yours!

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Sure.
I love my 556i and it has a very special place in my collection. It is a Korean LE with a top grade 2824 and the only piece I will never sell.
With that being said, I'm not sure I would feel the same way about the painted dials. Without the applied indices it falls a bit flat for me. The blue model has applied indices and is special enough to not fall out of love with, but also the black is a deep lacquer so it also has a personality of its own. Anyway, they're the best everyday watches out there and wear beautifully.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I also love the 556i. I used to own the anthracite dial Anniversary version with the applied indices. It was refined in a very understated way, and built like a tank. One of the best everyday watches I've ever owned. Used prices at around $1k is a great value. The reason I sold it is to fund my move away from everyday watches to more specialized pieces.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I also love the 556i. I used to own the anthracite dial Anniversary version with the applied indices. It was refined in a very understated way, and built like a tank. One of the best everyday watches I've ever owned. Used prices at around $1k is a great value. The reason I sold it is to fund my move away from everyday watches to more specialized pieces.
View attachment 15341229
Honestly, Sinns don't usually do anything for me. This is a serious exception to that! That thing is gorgeous!!!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Honestly, Sinns don't usually do anything for me. This is a serious exception to that! That thing is gorgeous!!!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
Thanks! I wish I could have taken better pictures of it while I had it. The way light plays with the sunburst dial and reflects off the indices and the bracelet links was mesmerizing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seen a lot of threads lately... and now $500-$2500(?)
...are people just bored out of their minds ;)
It's really only one thread, just not contiguous. A consensus decision was made by the users to close previous discussions and create one thread with an open-ended price cap.
Thanks for the bump! There's more content coming!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I've gone through, I think, 3 Sinn 556A, All were under $1k, but north of $750. Actually, one was cheaper, but had an obvious flaw and I flipped it for cheap. Same thing with a couple other Sinns: 856 UTC on strap for $1100, and a 6068 on strap for about $900. Oddly, none of them stuck. The 856 was just too large, same thing with the all-crystal face 6068.

The 556A... I talked myself out of it, eventually, after trying a few. Short hands, numbers not quite big enough, just ever so slightly too large... Never even considered a 556i, and ended up happy enough with a Seiko 5 SNK809/656 mod -- better size, not quite so precious. But eventually that left, too.

Other watches in the same general style which caught my eye included the Damasko DA4x series (w/ 1-11 bezel) the Sinn 857, and Seiko Spork. But I fear all would wear too large, and I'm just not willing to take a chance on watches in that price range.

So for the style -- aviator, big numbers -- I settled on an NTH Scorpene. I like 12hr bezels, so I picked up the latest Nomad version, but not willing to leave well-enough alone, swapped out bezel inserts for the Amphion Commando 12hr/countdown bezel. This one scratches the itch, just fine. I bought the Scorpene new, so with the bezel, all-in I'm at $700, with a new watch I like better than the alternatives I've tried and looked at.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've gone through, I think, 3 Sinn 556A, All were under $1k, but north of $750.

The 556A... I talked myself out of it, eventually, after trying a few. Short hands, numbers not quite big enough, just ever so slightly too large...

So for the style -- aviator, big numbers -- I settled on an NTH Scorpene. I like 12hr bezels, so I picked up the latest Nomad version, but not willing to leave well-enough alone, swapped out bezel inserts for the Amphion Commando 12hr/countdown bezel. This one scratches the itch, just fine. I bought the Scorpene new, so with the bezel, all-in I'm at $700, with a new watch I like better than the alternatives I've tried and looked at.
I haven't tried on the 556a, but the looks of it are just very appealing to me.

But I do see what you are saying in that the hands could be slightly longer. But I still think it looks good. I recently bought a Damasko and it doesn't have this problem. I will post it after work today.

Thanks for stopping in! Would love to see your NTH!

·
Registered
458 Posts
It's really only one thread, just not contiguous. A consensus decision was made by the users to close previous discussions and create one thread with an open-ended
Got it, thanks for the clarification.
Interestingly, a previous generation Aqua Terra is now an "affordable watch" because they regularly go between ~$1500-$2500.

·
Registered
15 Posts
View attachment 15341206

View attachment 15341214

View attachment 15341216

Both of those GS look great, they seem to do everything right.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you’re anti quartz I suppose the seas get a little choppy around the $500 mark but if you’re OK with it then it’s plain sailing all the way.
I don't personally own any quartz watches that belong here, but wouldn't mind seeing yours!

1 - 20 of 245 Posts