WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some people will breakdown in tears at the thought of engraving a watch and damaging the value of it, but please hear me out.

I bough a new Omega Speedmaster 3750.50 when I first found out my wife and I were expecting our first child. I was never particularly close to either of my parents, and as such have no family photos or family heirlooms to mention. My intention was to buy the Speedmaster, which I'd wanted for a long time, and pass it down to my son when he was old enough to appreciate it.

Unfortunately after just ten short days my son, Max, went to sleep and didn't wake up. Everyday when I wake and wind my Speedy, I think of my son and my watch now has immeasurable sentimental value to me.

The question is, has anyone ever had this done, or seen this done tastefully? There isn't much space on the back of the speedy, so I can only think of adding my sons name to the side of the watch.

Any thoughts or advice on this? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
39,514 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss.

Of course it can be done tastefully, and as you have no intention of ever parting with the watch it seems like a great tribute.
I know that Christopher Ward offer this on some of their watches, and here is (what I think is) a tasteful example https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/your-time-mine-me-my-c5-malvern-mkii-pic-heavey-848154-2.html

I wouldn't know how to go about getting it done, but all I would suggest is that you don't skimp - find someone you absolutely trust wouldn't make a mess of the watch.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
As stated above I had an engraving done on my Christopher Ward C-60...I don't know where you live,
but any large town /city you will be able to find an engraver....Go to the nicest jeweler.
I can find no words...sorry is not enough for your loss.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I can not sympathize but I can empathize with your loss.

In a case like this engrave anything you feel like on the watch and it can certainly be done tastefully. Normally, I suggest only engraving dates which I think is the most tasteful approach. I might suggest you wait a period of time before deciding what to engrave as you might better know what emotions you want to feel when you see it and what words/numbers will most likely bring those emotions later.

Reactions: Der Amf

·
Registered
900 Posts
First and foremost, I'm very sorry to hear of your tragic loss.

I don't see an issue with engraving a watch, if it is one that you are quite sure you will keep forever and if the engraving means a lot to you. I don't get the impression that this is a watch you will be flipping any time soon. Thousands of Jaeger-Lecoultre Reversos have been engraved over the years; I hardly consider it to be a sin or a crime against horology or anything like that. Just make sure you get it done well!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
firstly, I'm sincerely sorry for your tragic loss. secondly, its your watch so any engraving you wish to do is fine and no one is going to judge you. also, if you don't really mind the case back, maybe try putting on an aftermarket case back that has no words and that way you will have plenty of space to write what you wish. best of luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Brad - It's really my Speedy that I want engraving, so I might look into a replacement case back.

I have however seen a watch on that site my wife would like. It will break her heart I'm sure but a nice message on the back of one of those for mothers day would be something she'd treasure for ever. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can not sympathize but I can empathize with your loss.

In a case like this engrave anything you feel like on the watch and it can certainly be done tastefully. Normally, I suggest only engraving dates which I think is the most tasteful approach. I might suggest you wait a period of time before deciding what to engrave as you might better know what emotions you want to feel when you see it and what words/numbers will most likely bring those emotions later.
Sound advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks Brad - It's really my Speedy that I want engraving, so I might look into a replacement case back.

I have however seen a watch on that site my wife would like. It will break her heart I'm sure but a nice message on the back of one of those for mothers day would be something she'd treasure for ever. Thanks.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine what you went through.

Forgive me if I'm being insensitive, but if it were me, I'm not sure if I could treasure something that would have something engraved relating to my dead child that I received on [Father's] day. That seems like insult to injury.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,508 Posts
So sorry to read of your loss. Engraving can be attractively done by a good jeweler that offers such services. Engraving is still very popular with silverware and other objects so finding someone with the skills should not be difficult. Another possibility might be a birth picture in silver picture frame with his initials engraved.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts

Forgive me if I'm being insensitive, but if it were me, I'm not sure if I could treasure something that would have something engraved relating to my dead child that I received on [Father's] day. That seems like insult to injury.
to be quite frank -if there is the remote possibility that your remarks may be insensitive ,which you admit - there is absolutely no need to express them !!-
whatever the OP decides is right for him and his wife - sorry for your loss my friend

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Lucky for you the past few weeks have toughened me up, or I might have thought you're comments we're a little insensitive - although i'm sure you won't have meant them to be.

I guess the point is, it isn't you, and unless you've been in that position, you'll never know what may or may not bring you the smallest amount of happiness. Having something to cherish and remember him on a daily basis is all we have left. To let mothers day pass and pretend it didn't happen is simply out of the question. To give my wife something that will remind her of our son for the rest of her life, is the next best thing, i'm afraid.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss, I can't even imagine what you and your wife are going through. i don't think there is anything wrong with what you want to do, at the end of the day its just a watch. If it can bring the slightest bit of happiness to you and your wife, go for it.
My sincere condolences.

·
Premium Member
64,131 Posts
If you were thinking about having "sticky woz ere" engraved on your watch I would advise against it but you're not so go for it. Find a good engraver and ask what font he plans to use for the words you decide on. So sorry for you loss.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you were thinking about having "sticky woz ere" engraved on your watch I would advise against it but you're not so go for it. Find a good engraver and ask what font he plans to use for the words you decide on. So sorry for you loss.
Given that you're a Yorkshireman, I'm not sure you'd do anything to jeopardise the resale value of... anything!

Thanks though ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Custom watches... Where and How?

This post is more about "Getting custom engravings on our brand watch." Sorry if it was misleading and if you thought about 100% custom-made watches.

I think I saw someone posting their custom engraving on a watch here few weeks ago. It was a picuture where in the case back of the watch, the writing was engraved to the rotor: a love message for his wife.

Is it allowed to do this to our watches? And if it is, where and how should we do this? Do we take it to the local watch repair shop and ask for them to engrave few letters on the rotor? Do the official watch brand service center still allow to service our watch even when we touch on the parts like that?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
39,514 Posts
Re: Custom watches... Where and How?

Engraving the case back is more common than engraving the rotor.

It's important to check understand that some manufacturers won't service the watch if this has been done, but any independent watchmaker should still be happy to.

One brand which I know gives the option of engraving the rotor at the time of purchase is Stowa. I assume there are others out there too.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Engraving the case back is more common than engraving the rotor.

It's important to check understand that some manufacturers won't service the watch if this has been done, but any independent watchmaker should still be happy to.

I see.... I guess I will email the brand and ask if it's ok. So where do people usually gets this done? At independent watch repair shop?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts

Depends on your budget. I believe RGM and Benzinger do custom watches to the point of custom building a watch with complete hand engrave movements.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Depends on your budget. I believe RGM and Benzinger do custom watches to the point of custom building a watch with complete hand engrave movements.
so you're saying hand engraving letters on my movement cannot be done by usual independent watch repair center? I thought those were the places I have to go for such service

1 - 20 of 37 Posts