WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all

I'm half way through my training to be aDetention custody officer and I need a solid no nonsense watch.I don't want to spend more than £60.I'm currently doing my physical intervention and nearly ripped the strap off my F91 today so I need something solid-don't need anything fancy,this is purely a work watch-not bothered about looks it just needs a good light and be fairly accurate and built like a tank-strap included.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Something like a G-Shock would be best. There are a lot of designs, so that comes down to preference. They also have an auto light which activates by tilting your arm without needing to press a button. As for the strap, something like a NATO or ZULU strap is very secure. You could potentially attach that to whatever watch you get.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I've had a Casio band ripped off my wrist when someone grabbed me. Most G-Shocks have bands that can't easily be replaced (with a more secure NATO, or bund strap), so I'd look elsewhere. They are also big and easy to grip.

A decent Timex, Seiko or Citizen should hold up to just about anything, especially if you put it on a NATO, Zulu or bund strap. The advantage of these straps is that even if one pin is pulled out, the watch won't fall off.

There are quite a few fans of Timex Expedition watches here.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

·
Registered
22 Posts
I remember a post about a police officer who bought a Casio DW5600 while he was in Police College, and used it for a number of years after he graduated and got onto a police force. He stated it was a trusty no-nonsense watch with the functions he needed.

Needless to say, I use one as my daily watch for work and weekend use, and can say that it fits the bill as a tough as nails, no nonsense, 110% usable watch that will withstand more then my body can.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
I'd echo the recommendation for the DW5600. They're about £45 from Amazon and tough as nails.

For a little more (I think they're about £65) you can get the M5600 which is basically the same but is radio controlled (so its always spot on accurate) and solar powered (so you never need to change the battery).

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I'd echo the recommendation for the DW5600. They're about £45 from Amazon and tough as nails.

For a little more (I think they're about £65) you can get the M5600 which is basically the same but is radio controlled (so its always spot on accurate) and solar powered (so you never need to change the battery).

Yes. One of those. Nothing better for the kind of work you're doing (for which we all thank you). :-!

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
I'll echo the GShock 5600, or any other G that you like. They can really take a beating, though so can many of Casio's other watches. The one thing you noticed is the more inexpensive they are, the less sturdy the strap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for everybody's replies so far
so I'm down to these-

Casio G Shock DW5600E
Casio DW290-1V-(I do have a soft spot for these)
Vostok Amphibia
don't know enough about Citizen or Timex watches to make a choice,convinse me either way as I'm pulling the trigger Saturday(amazon UK only) pushing the limit to £70 so if you can help thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Citizen BM6400 or BN0000.

The later is a little over your budget.

The BM6400 is a classic solid watch always popular on these forums.
It's quartz (so accurate), EcoDrive (solar powered), screw down crown, WR 200m, and very easy to read.
They are always cropping up on eBay too, so can be got within your budget.

Here's my BM6400 in use on a Nato last winter...

Oh, and the lume is just superb and lasts seemingly forever...

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
At the very least you want a watch thats ISO6425 compliant. Part of that standard is a ~45 pound pull-force requirement for the strap.

Alternately a NATO or Zulu 1-piece strap with heavy duty spring bars, if you want to go the DIY/MOD route. (and this would be my personal recommendation)

Some watches have 2 spring bars between each pair of lugs, but not very many.... Invicta is the only brand I am aware of that does this.

My frankenmonster has served me well with heavy duty 22mm spring bars and a Zulu 5-ring. But its a bit out of your price range. Maybe an Orient Mako on a Nato/Zulu? I have an Invicta sub-homage on a Zulu that has proven to be very durable, although the crystal scratches easier than I was expecting. I have 2 little kids and they are HANGING (literally) all over me when we are in the pool, waterslide parks and Pacific ocean. My active-wear watches MUST feature strong and durable strap attachment methods to find their way on my wrist, and for this the Nato 1-piece design just plain works. Some pics for you to enjoy...

*EDIT*
And heres a pic of an invicta with 2x spring bars on each strap... double redundancy. I've been meaning to put this one on a 3-ring Zulu, but haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Thanks for everybody's replies so far
so I'm down to these-

Casio G Shock DW5600E
Casio DW290-1V-(I do have a soft spot for these)
Vostok Amphibia
don't know enough about Citizen or Timex watches to make a choice,convinse me either way as I'm pulling the trigger Saturday(amazon UK only) pushing the limit to £70 so if you can help thank you in advance
Of these I would recommend the 5600E. One of my fave durable watches, mine has proven to be very durable. I have better watches but for some inexplicable reason this one still gets a lot of wrist time... less is more kind of way. Of the 3 watches I have owned that have had spring bar failures a Timex was one of them. The little "nub" of the spring bar that inserts in to the strap lug cracked/sheared off while I was actively wearing it. So I'm not going to recommend Timex (despite their popularity here on WUS).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Get a Timex camper can't beat that for $ 50 in the U.S. probably 36 in British pounds, or an HTP-1 from Human Time Project. Yeah I know I'm having a new obsession with the HTP-1 it's my newest order and love... : )

·
Registered
567 Posts

My recommendation too. Though only about $45 not £45 in the USA for those lucky to live on that side of the pond. ;-)

Tony

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
In a physical intervention would you rather have an inmate grab you by the wrist and pull you wherever he wants you to go or grab your wrist and get your $50 watch when it comes off? I'd prefer the latter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In a physical intervention would you rather have an inmate grab you by the wrist and pull you wherever he wants you to go or grab your wrist and get your $50 watch when it comes off? I'd prefer the latter.
Very good point.

Another recommendation here for the G-Shock. I have the GW-M5600-1ER solar powered and radio controlled, £77 on Amazon.co.uk with an extra 10% off until 15/11 with code ABONUS10. Tough as old boots and not too bulky.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts