WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I woke up thinking about watches. (That never happens…. mm hmm.) I was pondering this question: in January and February 2012 I'll be in Australia for a month for work. I'm a musician, and it's summer festival time in Oz. I have to travel lightly, and I should only take one watch. But which watch?

I'm hoping this gives me a chance to buy something new, of course. I'll use the question as an excuse to get my WUS friends to participate.

Criteria:
- cheap enough to bash around, under $200 ideal
- stylish enough to suit a performing musician, not boring
- quartz preferred for sturdiness + accuracy, solar/kinetic best
- standard crown, not a Casio multi-button interface (I'm stoopid)
- 40mm ideal, 38-42 limit, <12mm thick.
- sapphire would be nice for durability, not required
- normal lugs (I'll use a nylon zulu or nato strap)
- Ultra bright lume! Even a luminous dial or tritium would be better.
- simple dial, easy to read, prefer no chrono, nor bezels.

None of these criteria are locked in cement - I'm playing around with many options. It mostly has to be reliable for some abuse, cheap and accurate. I plan to bargain-hunt and look for used options also. I have 5 months.

Of the many watches I already own, I might just take my old Seiko quartz moon watch, Orient Mako, Hager Commando, or quirky blue Sea-Gull. But this is an excuse to shop. I like aspects of these:

Graf Zeppelin Flatline ($269) (+) 39x7mm, (-) battery, glass, low lum
7334-4_th.jpg

Citizen BL5280-52W ($300+) (+) lum dial, solar (-) big 42x14mm, expensive, bezel, glass
EcoBL5280-52W.jpg

Citizen BM8180-03E ($87) (+) 37x9mm, cheap, solar, (-) boring, small, glass
(hopefully this grabbed picture isn't too big)
EcoBM8180-03E.jpg

Citizen BM6400-00E ($120) (+) 40x11mm, solar (-) odd font, glass
EcoBM6400-00E.jpg

Junkers Berlin Tempelhof full lume ($245) (+) lume, GMT (-) silly logo, big 42x12mm, battery, glass
6279-5-1.jpg

Junkers Anniversary GMT ($245) (+) 40mm, GMT (-) battery, glass
6644-2_th.jpg

I'm also looking at Laco and Aristo type A pilots, if I can find a small cheap quartz. Maybe Seiko, Pulsar, Chris Ward, Uhr, or….thoughts? Thanks for playing!

Reactions: frtorres87

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
CWC G10. Smaller than you specified bit hits all the other criteria and more importantly is a great watch and a classic to boot.

Have fun down under whatever you choose and be sure to send is a postcard!

Reactions: skywatch

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, Olly! CWC is an excellent suggestion. I'm adding to my list, and it'll sit near the top.

Edit: Hmm, doing a bit of research I see the G10 only has Perspex crystal, which I seem to be expert at scratching (especially hauling gear around.) I know that these can be polished out, but my own experience polishing one old watch has been mixed. I will be keeping the G10 as a solid option however.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
If you are going quartz, you could go for a perpetual calendar, since you aren't likely to wear it all that often once you are back (or while you are there; you aren't really going to bring just one, are you?)

31XHWV351QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg No idea the size, but you can't beat the price.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a hunch I'd snare you in, Scott! Thank you. That Timex is a pleasant surprise. $50 is pretty darn cheap. I'll research size.

Here's a stupid question: How does one set the month and year on these simpler "perpetual calendar" watches, if they are supposed to keep track of correct days? I can see in the Seiko Premier and bigger Citizens that they have leap year counters, but are these simpler ones *really* perpetual? :think:

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
Mmmm. your criteria list shouts out eco-drive, and could easily fill the lot, probably.

For one watch it will get hammered, as will the wearer, so something solid.....or a few but more throw away. If you have acces to Sekonda or Acurrist they are both well respected in the UK and sell some nice pieces from less than $30. Sekonda also does a lume dial that looks cool.
Whatever your choice(s) have a good trip...and don't forget to try the Vostok space beer which only seems to be available down-under afaik....with progress reports too if poss. Cheers cobber ,

http://vostokspacebeer.com/

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For one watch it will get hammered, as will the wearer, so something solid.....or a few but more throw away.

...and don't forget to try the Vostok space beer which only seems to be available down-under afaik....with progress reports too if poss. Cheers cobber ,

In general I try not to get hammered.... often, anyway. ;-)
(Not to say I don't enjoy a good bottle of wine with dinner!)

Vostok space beer?! :-!
Now I'm very curious.

Indeed, I rarely think of Sekonda, except perhaps as the UK equivalent to Timex. Worth looking indeed.
Speaking of Timex, I also should probably investigate that el cheapo "Weekender" discussed on another thread. Now that's a beater price.
However, I was imagining trying to find something with a bit of WIS appeal, a bit artsy as well perhaps. I might do some seminars and interviews, and it's always nice to send secret messages to the sparse handful of watch geeks out there.

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
Not artsy, but the Seiko Spirit military style quartz ticks all your other boxes.

I'll keep thinking on the artsy question though :)

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Arktika! That field watch in the middle looks a lot like the $90 Citizen. The white/blue on top looks really nice, and I love the small seconds on the Sandoz. Once I take a longer break from what I SHOULD be doing right now, I'll go search for lume dial Sekondas. My wife and I refer to this as "toy shopping" (as in "pretend shopping") because it's not really looking hard for anything because it's needed, just an excuse to take a break and look for something elusive, for the fun of it. Whether an actual purchase results is less important than the pleasure of seeking.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Here's a stupid question: How does one set the month and year on these simpler "perpetual calendar" watches, if they are supposed to keep track of correct days? I can see in the Seiko Premier and bigger Citizens that they have leap year counters, but are these simpler ones *really* perpetual? :think:
TIMEX

Of course, to tempt you back from the dark side, there is a barely used CW C5 MKII on the CW sales forum: Christopher Ward Forum • View topic - C5 Aviator Mk II Black - For Sale (if they won't ship to the US, I'm sure we can think of someone who could act as intermediary...)

I can't really visualize how a flieger style would look on the wrist at 38mm.

There is also the Orient Aviator or the 38.5 & 41 mm pilots watches from Aristo...
5H70TI_th.jpg

·
Registered
8,355 Posts

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ooooh, Mondaine?

Hmmm, quite an interesting thought!..... :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :-d

That CW C5 is a form of torture, you know? I would buy that, merely because it's a great looking watch, but I would feel really bad bashing it around in the dust at the Rainbow Serpent festival with a bunch gear to pack up after. That's the main reason for seeking quartz. I already have a ton of great Auto watches. Nevertheless, a C5 much like that could be in my future, as are so many great watches.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TIMEX

Of course, to tempt you back from the dark side, there is a barely used CW C5 MKII on the CW sales forum: Christopher Ward Forum • View topic - C5 Aviator Mk II Black - For Sale (if they won't ship to the US, I'm sure we can think of someone who could act as intermediary...)

I can't really visualize how a flieger style would look on the wrist at 38mm.
There is also the Orient Aviator or the 38.5 & 41 mm pilots watches from Aristo...

1) That Timex document is interesting. You do enjoy your research, don't you? :-!
Sounds like they have a little microcontroller with some stepper motors in there. Very nifty.

2) Aaaarrrgh! Must...resist.... too...many...nice...watches... :-x

3) Well, there must have been 36mm fliegers back in the wars, but now they mostly seem 44mm, like the Orient. 41 would be fine. I don't think I found an Aristo lume dial with quartz movement yet. (?) I figure I'll end up getting a lume dial at some point in the near future, but I have been eyeing the Komandirskie K-34 and I wouldn't want to beat that up in the Aussie dust. Or there's the limited edition Glycine KMU48 full lume.... :) So easily distracted, you know?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
3) Well, there must have been 36mm fliegers back in the wars, but now they mostly seem 44mm, like the Orient. 41 would be fine.
Some were huge, to be worn over flight suits, but many were also sub-40mm.

I don't think I found an Aristo lume dial with quartz movement yet. (?) I figure I'll end up getting a lume dial at some point in the near future, but I have been eyeing the Komandirskie K-34 and I wouldn't want to beat that up in the Aussie dust. Or there's the limited edition Glycine KMU48 full lume.... :) So easily distracted, you know?
Yeah, that Komandirskie is cool, but I want the titanium, so black dial it is...

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
skywatch,

First of all I hope you will have a great time in Australia.

In the months of January and February, it can get pretty hot. If you are to wear your watch all the time, and envisage manual work like lugging equipment, it is probably worth checking that your watch can withstand having a film of your sweat between its back and your skin too. But for me, I have no problem with chromed case as I wipe down my watches as soon as I take them off.

Generally speaking the man-in-the-street here is not really bothered with knowing much about watches, including those on other people's wrists. Just wear whatever is not absurdly inappropriate for the occasion and attire and you'll look sharp enough in other people's eyes. But no moonphase please: as the sky in the southern hemisphere is very different from the northern half, you would find the moonphase function runs backwards!

Also get a pair of sunglasses with full spectrum UV blocking, the sun here can get really vicious, less-good "tinted glasses" would get your eyes fried: in Australia, sunglasses are classed as protective equipment.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the months of January and February, it can get pretty hot. ...

....Generally speaking the man-in-the-street here is not really bothered with knowing much about watches,

....Also get a pair of sunglasses with full spectrum UV blocking, the sun here can get really vicious, less-good "tinted glasses" would get your eyes fried: in Australia, sunglasses are classed as protective equipment.
Hi Seele! Thanks for the input. It's very helpful. I have about six concerts around the south-east (Melbourne, Adelaide, Sidney, etc.) and I know it'll get hot. That's one reason I'm planning to use a zulu or nato strap. And trust me, Aussies aren't alone in not caring about watches - we here on this forum are freaks in our respective cultures, and we know it. But ... well... I just want to take a watch that I like, that won't bust on me, and the autos I have would probably get a bit shredded with live performance. I'm not exactly Trent Reznor throwing mic stands around, just a humble synth guy who has to set up gear in dusty festivals occasionally. That's why I think quartz is still probably best. With this mechanical obsession so many of us share, I find myself owning very few cheap quartz, and with an opportunity to shop!

I must say, the Mondaine 40mm Night Vision is really tempting (Thanks WMW!). I also came close to jumping on a Citizen Eco GMT with sapphire that just went on the sales forum. I'm not stressing out about this. I think it's fun. I'll probably wait for a good deal to pop up for a cool quartz beater - in the meantime, the search is a pleasure!

Good tip about the glasses - thanks. (I wear transition lens eyeglasses, but I also have some prescription sunglasses I should take.)

All the best - RR

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
skywatch,

Look at it this way: if the locals here can lug heavy gear and bounce around on stage wearing pretty much any watch you can think of, I do not think it would be too much of a problem if you use an automatic!

Another thought: since you will be crossing the equator from colder climes, you might need a bit of time to acclimatize yourself, in the mean time there is a good chance you will perspire a lot. A sweat-saturated NATO might not be too comfortable after all, to my mind. But if you elect to use a leather strap, just put on an inexpensive aftermarket one, especially one with all three flaps stitched down: I once had a watch fell off my wrist as one of the glued-down flaps gave way, but that was when I was living in Hong Kong in the middle of summer, and the strap was truly saturated.

Of course we are talking about the worst case scenario, which is possible but not very probable. After all, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney are not little hamlets out in the middle of nowhere, where you are not allowed to eat anything unless you have been running after it for seven hours!

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
You know I'm a fan of Zeppelin watches...and the Flatline you posted is artsy enough in its Art Deco influenced dial and dressy at the same time. In my opinion...the watch has some personality to it...would complement a musician nicely.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts