WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I recently purchased a Citizen Skyhawk Titanium (JY0010-50E). I Love this watch....but.....I have reached that age where all my peers are getting married and i need to go to weddings frequently. I would love to hear all of your suggestions on watches that go equally well with a Tux as they do with a suit. Something Classic and maybe even understated. One that has caught my eye is the Oris Classic with the black dial (shown below). I have no problem spending money on quality but i would like to keep it at $1200 and below (hopefully below). Looking forward to your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Hamilton Jazzmaster comes to mind. Many models to choose from and ETA movements/sapphire and most can be had around $1k and under.

I have the 45mm Maestro. For office wear, I wear it on a pilot strap. Just ordered the bracelet from Hamilton to dress it up for those uber formal occassions.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Just get a nice watch to wear with a suit and forego wearing a watch with a tuxedo. If you must...get a watch with no seconds hand and no Arabic numbers (Roman numbers and stick indices OK)...leather strap is a must. I would also suggest staying below 40mm and no other complication other than the time. A vintage Omega Deville would look good with both outfits...or a Movado museum dial.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Wear whatever you like.
Wear what you feel comfortable with.

I've worn G-Shocks, dive watches on Nato's, and dress watches to various weddings and black tie events over the years.

In reality nobody actually cares what watch is worn.
Wear the wrong type of shoes & socks, or even (god forbid) a pre-tied bow tie, and then you really will be slaughtered!

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Wear whatever you like.
Wear what you feel comfortable with.

I've worn G-Shocks, dive watches on Nato's, and dress watches to various weddings and black tie events over the years.

In reality nobody actually cares what watch is worn.
I think they do. Especially if it's the Bride. She's been planning that wedding of her's (and make no mistake, that's what it is) since she was a little girl. And she's planned out every detail. The Groom? Well, she just pictured him with whose ever handsome face she saw last. Or, the face of whichever dude she's currently dating. If you're a member of the wedding party, or even if you're simply a guest; the Bride (and likely others) will notice a big, thick, G-Shock on your wrist. Even more so if it's any other color but black. Even black will be noticed.

Here's the thing . . . Just because nobody says something, doesn't mean they didn't notice it on your wrist. Bride might be upset. She's not likely to go off on someone wearing a G-Shock to her wedding because she doesn't want her day ruined. (The day she's been planning out since she barely learned to walk and not drool on herself anymore.) Bride's dad isn't going to say anything. No one likely will. If they do, and the guy wearing the G-Shock gets upset; and argument might break out. Oops! Bride's big day just got ruined. So other guests at the wedding aren't going to say anything about it. But it also makes the guy wearing the G-Shock look bad.

The big day is all about the Bride. You get invited to share in her joy and her big day, but it's all about her. It's not about what you as a wedding guest like, or what you feel comfortable in. It's just not about you. It's about showing proper respect to the Bride and Groom. (Though mainly the Bride, if I'm honest.) That means dressing up. It means being very uncomfortable if you're part of the wedding party. (Believe me, I know. Two weddings less than a year apart. One as a Groomsman, and one as the Best Man. Those Tuxedos were far from comfortable.) And if comfort or wearing what one likes is more important, then you respectfully let them know that you won't be able to attend the wedding.

Edit:

I'd recommend another Citizen. I've noticed that my BM7080-03E is excellent with either a suit or a Tux.
(Generally a watch that blends in with one, will blend in with the other.)

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
For me the Stowa Marine Original comes to mind. Mine is very versatile with a simple strap change. Right now I have it on the black calfskin with white stiching & it goes great with my jeans & polo work look or my ripped jeans & t-shirt weekend attire. When I have something nicer I switch it to the black croco strap & BAM! brand new dress watch.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I like the Stowa Marine Original, anything in the Hamilton Jazzmaster line, and a Sarb023/35. All of these would fit well with a suit and leave you some leftover $$ for your next purchase!!

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Eterna Soleure has been goin for well below 1000$ on DOD sites and GM dealers and is a fantastic watch for the price.
eterna-soleure-automatic.jpg

Citizen Stilleto is a good pick as well if auto isnt necessary
88097815-260x260-0-0_Citizen+Mens+Citizen+Stiletto+Eco+Drive+Watch+AR30.jpg
Also worth considering is the classic Movado Museum watch or any variants of that. Its not auto, but its subtle and elegant if you like that style. Something slightly different and a bit more modern like this maybe
0606255.jpg
And check out Frederique Constant. A lot of their stuff isnt exactly slim, but they are really well made and the attention to detail is terrific
FC-303M4P6.jpg

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wore my Stowa Antea Creme with my tux in my wedding last November. My wife gave me an Omega Planet Ocean for a wedding gift but the Stowa looked better with the tux.

It's not my favorite watch, but it is simple, classy, and wears well with a tux or suit especially on a croc strap.

(Borrowed image)

IMG_4204.jpg

The other is my Hamilton Power Reserve. I wear this with suits the most.

hamilton-jazzmaster-power-reserve2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im a mechanical engineer. Most days i wear my Skyhawk Titanium, it works really well in the office as well as the plants i visit. Sometimes though i need to suit up for presentations and such.

On a side note, if you had to pick a watch on brand only would you go with an Oris or an Eterna?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts