WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I must state that my father has Parkinson's disease. Every Christmas someone in the family would gift him a $10 quartz watch like a Speidel on a stretch bracelet. In just a few months it would be broken. Sometimes he drops it and the crystal pops out or maybe he will hit his wrist on something or fall down. He has even broken the stretch band on his watches, possibly by puling to hard trying to remove the watch. He also takes things apart on purpose, his electric shaver is in pieces on the dresser right now. Whenever someone mentions the time he looks at his naked wrist and it breaks my heart. He wasn't into watches like we are on this forum but, he always wore one (former general practice lawyer).

I would like to find something for him that will be harder for him to take apart or break. Maybe a screw down caseback and a better crystal than a ten dollar watch. Something that can take a beating. Something classic looking, under $75 (used is okay or even preferred), so if this experiment fails it is not a total waste of money. He may still be able to operate a push button clasp but definitely cannot work a safety clasp or butterfly style clasp. Please keep in mind that a belt is difficult for him to operate so straps are out. Waterproofing is not a must but would be nice just incase he forgets or can't take the piece off before he showers. Automatic or quartz I think could work but please no manual winds. Many of you know a lot of options for affordable watches and I am open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help. Any questions please ask.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Sorry to hear. I think you'll be stuck with either a Spiedel-style stretch band or Velcro style hook-and-loop straps for practical reasons, added as an aftermarket accessory. If they get broken, they're at least cheap to replace.

Something like a Timex Expedition with enough of a bezel to take a beating would be preferable to an Easy Reader, IMHO. Even a Casio like this would probably be fine:

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MTP-V001GL-1-MTP-V001GL-1BUDF-Wristwatch/dp/B00OXV6PI8

I'm not sure you could talk him into something like an MDV106, but a screw-down crown and case back in a very durable format sounds like it would work-- the problem for an older person being the size. If that's reasonable, it's a very good $45 option from Amazon (plus strap replacement cost.)

I hate to be negative and although I would go one step above the $10 "house brand" watches, I wouldn't move too far up-market even for something durable. The sad reality is that he doesn't want something that a health care worker or other care giver could 'walk away' with in the future...

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
It's always tough for me to post after Ovr. He's already said most of what I would. But Timex or Casio is probably the way to go. If he isn't the large dive watch kinda guy, Casio makes a selection of dress watches, too.
Dress Watches | Mens Dress Watches | Casio
It looks like some have proprietary, non-standard lugs, though. Be careful.

I wonder if "The Band" would work for him.
https://www.chums.com/watchbands
I used these for years. Easy on/off, but totally secure when on. Velcro.

Another option might be the GI looking field watches from Sportsman's Guide.
Military Watches | Sportsman's Guide
You can get two for twenty bucks. Probably stouter built than a $10 watch from Wal-Mart.
Again, add The Band.

Good luck. Making parents happy is always a good thing to do.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Gents, Thanks for the fast responses. The Casio route may be a great option, I think he even used to own a digital one when I was a kid, maybe I can find one like that one. Some of the 42mm sized pieces are just too big for him. He would be more at home in a 36-38mm size. I think the one he had was gold plated and smaller anyway.

The velcro band is going to be difficult for him to handle, I think I may be stuck with the Speidel stretch bands.

Any more ideas for bands?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is pretty close to the one he had when I was a kid. Unfortunately, the buttons on the sides are too easy for him to accidentally or purposely press and change the display/time which will wind up confusing him. a168wg-9_2_2_1.jpg

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Vostok Amphibia would fit the bill, it is an auto with a screw down crown and back, the crystal is super thick plastic, I have seen people on youtube run over these watches with cars, and throw them of bridges and they survive. Plastic crystal has another advantage when the crystal becomes scratches once in a while you give it a polish with metal polish (I use Wenol) and in 30 seconds it is like new again. Glass and Sapphire can crack or shatter and scratches are permanent too..
They sell for about 65 bucks, order a better strap though as the weak point is the crappy strap. I buy mine from Meranom, postage is slow and can be up to a month, but they have a good range of dials and case types and they regulate them before sale.
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
5,530 Posts

·
Premium Member
71,229 Posts
Rather than get your dad something that is more robust just accept that his watches will have a short life and continue as before.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I think the PXN021 from Pulsar is the watch you are looking for. The Bay has one "new with defects" for $70 BIN right now. They're readily available at $100 NWT.

s-l1600.jpg

Also - nothing wrong with the Spiedel - short of it being dated. I predict a comeback in the next handful of years.

Reactions: Londo Mollari

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think the PXN021 from Pulsar is the watch you are looking for. The Bay has one "new with defects" for $70 BIN right now. They're readily available at $100 NWT.

View attachment 11286730

Also - nothing wrong with the Spiedel - short of it being dated. I predict a comeback in the next handful of years.
Pulsar PXN021"Railroad Approved" is a great choice. Screw-down case back and crown, 100m WR, Seiko LumiBrite dial (easy to find in the dark), and a genuine Speidel Twist-O-Flex expansion bracelet. Old-fashioned dimensions too: 36mm case diameter (38mm with crown), 8mm thick, 18mm lug width, 40mm lug-to-lug. Small battery good for two years is the only negative.

Pulsar V743-8A00 is the vintage (1990s) edition of this watch, and they sell on the bay for around $40. They look identical but I'd expect 20 year-old lume to be dimmed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts