WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's about time to purchase a watch for my girlfriend. She swears up and down that she doesn't want one until we go to an AD to look at one for me. Having learned a thing or two about watches she thinks highend quartz watches are a joke and really fancies automatic movements. I came across the Raymond Weil lady Maestro Moonphase and think it's beautiful. I think the dial is gorgeous and the date and moonphase complications are winners in my book. The AD that I'm going to buy my Breguet is also an AD for Raymond Weil and has given me a great price. What do you all think? I'm also open to any other suggetions in the $3,000-$6,000 range. Don't know much about Raymond Weil are his watches a good buy at that price point?
Thanks Shane

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
You are out of your damn mind to buy something worth $3k-6k for a "girlfriend" unless you want her to be "fiancé" - especially a watch.

May as well just flush that money down the toilet.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You are out of your damn mind to buy something worth $3k-6k for a "girlfriend" unless you want her to be "fiancé" - especially a watch.

May as well just flush that money down the toilet.
TC, we have been together for years, it's one of those things. Is this the right watch to "flush my money down the toilet on"? And in all fairness she bought me my Montblanc Star 4810 a few years ago after I lost a watch in Miami. I took sometime off from watches and now I'm back in the market for myself, so why not get her an early Christmas present:)

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
You can get a 0.9 carat diamond ring in F color,VVS clarity if you stretch your budget to around 7000 (just sold one),you can also get a half carat solitaire ring for below your budget (just sold one for around 2300ish)

·
Premium Member
61,485 Posts
Shane, involve your GF very closely in this. I wanted to buy a Rolex for my ex but she went for a Rotary instead. :-s

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
One brand which I find its hard to go wrong with when it comes to women is Cartier. There is very little in their collection one can't wear for the rest of their lives and they usually don't go through the often decade long awkward transition from being a new design to having a vintage look, the line seems to blur and almost everyone of them just looks clsssic.

Reactions: Perdendosi and drhr

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I've always thought that the Cartier Tank looks very striking on the female wrist...

Reactions: drhr

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Zenith has some exceptional pieces within your range;

They also have the moonphase in a round case, but this case is stunning.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Shane, involve your GF very closely in this. I wanted to buy a Rolex for my ex but she went for a Rotary instead. :-s
Thank Gawd it was a Rotary for your Ex!

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Picking a watch for a woman is like tap dancing with a seeing eye dog in a mine field .
Let her pick it, you wrap it.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I'd say set a price range and let her pick it. Only she knows what she will want to wear.
That's what I say, my wife was just my GF when I bought her a Raymond Weil with little diamonds on it, but that was the only watch she had ever expressed interest in so she got really happy not only by the gesture, but by the actual watch as well. So the only one who can give you advise on your GF's new watch is she herself, at least pick her brain a little trying to find where she stands.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I like RW watches. Don't forget about Frederique Constant. They make some lovely lady's pieces. And, there's Breitling if she's more sporty. My wife wants one of these. You can change the stones with the crown.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
IMO RW is decent but a decidedly mid-tier brand. Dude... Why not do it in style and also get her a Breguet to boot? Reine de Naples comes in every day stainless steel and IMO is the perfect elegant woman's dress watch. SS can be worn everyday if she wants. It's slightly more than your top end budget of 6k (gray market goes for about 10k) but of course you can always bargain. Since she is still a "girlfriend" it's a 2 way street. Slap that on her wrist and it makes a statement both to her and the "other guys"... :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IMO RW is decent but a decidedly mid-tier brand. Dude... Why not do it in style and also get her a Breguet to boot? Reine de Naples comes in every day stainless steel and IMO is the perfect elegant woman's dress watch. SS can be worn everyday if she wants. It's slightly more than your top end budget of 6k (gray market goes for about 10k) but of course you can always bargain. Since she is still a "girlfriend" it's a 2 way street. Slap that on her wrist and it makes a statement both to her and the "other guys"... :)
I think that this watch is gorgeous, but msrp is 15,000 so even with a good deal this is still quite a bit more expensive than I was budgeting...

·
Registered
386 Posts
I guess I'm a little different. If I am gifting something monumental for my family (or myself) I make sure there is no question that will ever be asked that did you get the right one now or twenty years later. If I dont have the money I'll save for a couple more months until I do... That's me I guess. A word about RW, its watch line may look fine now, but for a brand that's currently being sold at my local Costco, I think the credibility kinda takes a hit there among watch snobs. 6k is not a huge amount but it's significant, nothing to be scoffed at. If you like the general design here is another idea: A Franck Muller Casablanca. It's on Ebay for 6500 now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts