WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Might be fun to do this if you have the time.

NOVEL ALERT!

I've always liked watches. Being a child of the 80s, digital watches was where I started. Casio, Freestyle Shark. However, Rolex and Omega always were on my mind as aspiration pieces. However, it certainly wasn't straight line from Casio to Omega. Like a lot of us, I enjoy having pieces who's function and aesthetics are unique. Given that I have 3 kids, there's no room for redundancy. I'll attach pics hopefully in chronological order.

I have 2 sentimental pieces that will never get flipped that I got in my 20s. A Bulova tank-ish quartz. Nothing special objectively, but I bought this as a present to myself after finishing grad school. I still have it and wear it regularly. The next was a Citizen Eco-drive dress watch. Again, nothing objectively special, but it was a wedding gift from my wife. Will remain a keeper even if I don't have much cause to wear it. I also have my dad's old Seiko Railroad quartz(no picture).

Fast forward to my mid 30s and I bought myself a Victorinox Officer's Watch. Loved it, but the spring bars always popped off. Not understanding the replaceable nature of straps and spring bars, I stupidly returned it. Around this time started looking at watch stuff on YouTube. Roll your eyes if you wish, but watching the Urban Gentry nudged me towards the Seiko 5 line. I used the return funds from my Victorinox to purchase the green Seiko SNZG. I loved the exhibition caseback. It slotted in nicely as a daily driver. I started looking at more expensive pieces, and bit by bit, I saved up for a Sinn 556i. I was so excited. However, anyone that has read my thread about not liking printed dials can guess that it left me underwhelmed. The printed dial, the sterile aesthetic, and the fact that the back of the watch was more interesting to me; I just couldn't keep it. As such, I sold it. I took $300 of those funds and bought myself a Seiko SARB035. I adored that watch, but I noticed a speck on the dial that I just could not un-see. It drove me nuts. It was a real shame, as I loved the case shape, finishing, size, the dial, the indices, and the cream color. As I couldn't get past that dang speck, it got returned. The remainder of the funds went to other hobbies, Around this time, I started looking at vintage and I thought I would try something with "patina'd" indices to get the look of vintage but with the robustness of a modern piece. I settled on the Christopher Ward C65 Vintage 38mm. I also enjoyed this a lot. It was very similar to the Sinn, but with a lot of my gripes about the 556i addressed. Applied indices, raised crystal, interesting case finishing. Along the way, I bought a Casio F91W as a beater for running, mountain biking, etc.

So, at this point, my collection included my sentimentals, Casio F91W, Seiko SNZG, and CWard. Well, that was about to change.

At the beginnng of this year, I bought another Seiko SARB035 figuring there wouldn't be the same defect twice. I missed that watch. Much to my shagrin, there was yet another defect in a different spot. At this point I gave up on the SARB035, and it got returned. With the funds from the SARB refund and a solid tax refund I bought a Tudor 7804. I loved this watch. It was surprising how much wrist presence a 34mm watch can have. It was also my first experience with the Oyster case. I get why everyone loves it. I wore this watch so much and it had so much vintage charm, it kind of ruined the Seiko and the CWard. I realized that I liked smaller watches on my 6.75' wrist. I saw a vintage 38mm cushion case Waltham diver come up on the WTT page. I traded the Seiko +$15 for the Waltham. Fits my wrist very nicely, is truly vintage, and it has a bright orange hand and polished chapter ring that I've always liked about the Squale 1521. It was around this time that I was reading about the questionable health risks of watches with Radium. There's a lot of cancer in my family, so while the risks about pieces with radium isn't conclusive, I just felt I couldn't risk it. As such, my beloved Tudor had to go. I sold it fairly quickly for a couple dollars more than I paid for it. I bought a serviced 40s Universal Geneve Salmon dial manually wound piece for $125 less than what I pocketed for the Tudor. What an amazing little watch! 35mm SS case with chrome bezel, salmon dial with copper subdial, and thermally blued hands. I was finally proven wrong about printed dials! There was just so much great color going on there, I didn't care about applied indices.

Now that I had 2 proper vintage watches the fake patina of the CWard started to bug me. As you can guess, it got sold as well. I love linen dials, and missed the white dial on the SARB. I found an Omega Seamaster Deville in solid 14k gold unpolished, all original with a subtle linen dials that had been lingering on Omega Forums. I made an aggressive offer on the Omega, and I snagged it with the savings from the Tudor/UG transactions and the sale of the CWard. I had been kind of addicted to flipping that I nearly flipped the Omega. It grew on me quickly and I've decided to keep it. Since the beginning of the year I had been pinching pennies for a Seiko Mini-Turtle PADI addition, which arrived yesterday. The short L2L fits beautifully on my skinny wrists, the textured dial is awesome, lume glows like a torch, and the Pepsi bezel is just so cool.

As of today, my collection consists of my sentimental Bulova, Seiko, and Citizen, Waltham Diver, Casio F91W, Seiko Mini Turtle PADI, Universal Geneve Salmon Dial, and Omega Seamaster Deville.

Thanks WUS!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Re: Your watch journey... here's mine

Got a watch as a kid.
Liked it and got another one once I saved enough.
Got old enough to work and got a couple more.
And so on and so forth

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Interesting read and pictures |>

Bad luck with the Sarbs :-(

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Thanks for sharing your watches and the story behind them. You have a very interesting collection of vintage watches. Here is to enjoying your collection in the years to come.

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
What's your wife think of all this?

Nice history and nice collection. What's next after the turtle? Maybe take up diving and try it out in its natural element?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's your wife think of all this?

Nice history and nice collection. What's next after the turtle? Maybe take up diving and try it out in its natural element?

Well, as far as my wife goes, she’s seemingly good with it as all of them have either been funded by an accumulation of fun money(we budget a certain amount for ourselves every month. I just don’t usually spend mine on coffee and buying myself lunch) or from the sale of other pieces. So, provided there isn’t money coming from our savings, I get a pass. That doesn’t mean I don’t get raised eyebrows, but provided I’m not being wasteful with funds there isn’t much to complain about.

What’s next? Well, to be honest I’m pretty happy with everything. I wanted a colorful watch for spring and summer(UG), a white dial(Omega), beater(Casio), and the Mini Turtle kills two birds combining my want of a robust diver and a Pepsi bezel(seeing as I’ll never afford a Rolex GMT).

I need to get a new strap for the Omega to dress it down a little. My 40th is coming up next fall, so I may pinch pennies till then and maybe sell the Omega towards a white linen dial DJ 16013.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That Universal Geneve is hands down the golden apple of your collection.
Yup. It’s pretty spectacular. The only way this one is going anywhere is if someone wants to swap it for a Datejust. Even then, it would have to be juuuuust right. That’d be as unlikely as my willingness to part with it. The UG remains secure in my collection.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another one here who love the Universal Geneve. Nice color and numerals.
Thank you. It’s hard to tell even in person but the numbers’ color matches the hands. Who knew blue and salmon would compliment each other so well?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I admire the UG, but I like the Tudor even more. Normally I love small-seconds watches, but the size of the seconds track on the UG throws off the balance of the watch a little for me, and I don’t love the hands. The Tudor is just perfectly balanced, both in proportion and color. The Platonic ideal of a watch. And the lovely patina against those hands is stunning. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the UG: but if I could choose only one...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I admire the UG, but I like the Tudor even more. Normally I love small-seconds watches, but the size of the seconds track on the UG throws off the balance of the watch a little for me, and I don’t love the hands. The Tudor is just perfectly balanced, both in proportion and color. The Platonic ideal of a watch. And the lovely patina against those hands is stunning. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the UG: but if I could choose only one...
The Tudor was killer. Had I not been spooked by the radium thing(again, nothing is conclusive about it), it wouldn’t have gone anywhere. If I’m not mistaken the guy who bought it from me is currently selling it. It’s a killer piece and the dome on the crystal is like nothing I’ve ever seen. It almost comes to an apex and forms a perfectly smooth arc from the angle of the bezel.

·
Premium Member
36,166 Posts
Great post. Hope you enjoy your collection.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Just an update to this thread. After living with my Deville and UG for a while, regrettably I’ve realized that with 2 kids under 2 in my house and a job that frequently sees my smacking my wrist on stuff/pulling gloves off(healthcare if you’re curious), these probably won’t survive. The only way they would is if I don’t wear them during the majority of my day. Given how killer they are(the UG especially as I’ll likely never see another dial like that again), I’ve decided to put out 2 for 1 trade feelers for a linen or mosaic dial vintage datejust. The DJ should have the character of these 2 whilst hopefully being more robust.

Loving the mini turtle btw.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts