WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems like a stupid question, but what are forums for??

I've just started to get interested in watches, and purchased a beautiful hamilton jazzmaster with a black dial and love the styling. However, i returned it after a week because I couldn't get past the glare. Home or work setting, I was just looking into a mirror instead of into the face.

Am I crazy here??

Is it the black dial and the contrast that is causing this issue? I know some watch makers apply anti glare, but lots don't.

Do other people have this problem or it there something about the Hamilton Crystal?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I had the same problem with a Hamilton Khaki field auto. It was very accurate, had a very smooth movement but the glare was so distracting that we parted company. Mine had a polished bezel, black dial, no anti reflective coating and a domed crystal, all of which probably contributed to the problem. I think Hamilton makes a great watch but I would be reluctant to buy another one based on my experience.

·
Registered
871 Posts
interesting, because thats one main reason i dont like my hamilton Khaki either.
my observation is that the hamilton crystal surface isnt polished as finely and evenly. you can sort of
see the lapping/polishing pattern on it.
i have a Seiko SKX with a flat crystal and i expected it to be even worse. but to my suprise its quite glare free.
Do these Seikos have AR coating on their crystal?

so to answer your first question: no you are not crazy :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm been trying to talk myself into the khaki field officer auto which I absolutely love, but I'm certainly worried about the same issue.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
I've never heard / seen that on my watches,although not Hams., except angled to a bright light.
Have a look for another make

·
Registered
772 Posts
Its not just Hamilton. Rolex don't use AR either on their crystals ( not incl. cyclops) so you may find them intolerable & one to avoid too.

Personally I like AR on the underside only.

Some brands have AR on both sides which is very effective but the exterior may get scratch marks which is deemed to be acceptable normal wear & tear.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think the Seiko SKX series is hardlex (not sapphire), which although is softer, reflects less.
Although curved crystals reflect light from all directions, they disperse it rather than reflect it at a uniform direction (which flat crystals do) thus reducing glare.

Regardless of the presence of AR, it seems not all curved crystals are created equal in reducing reflections. I don't understand this fully yet.
One factor to consider is whether single-domed or double domed sapphire crystals produce more glare.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
Personally I like AR on the underside only.

Some brands have AR on both sides which is very effective but the exterior may get scratch marks which is deemed to be acceptable normal wear & tear.
My only watch with double AR is my Fortis and yes it's a magnet for smears and fingerprints but it's so effective i found it increases the enjoyment of wearing the watch enough to make it worthwhile. I always carry a cloth in my pocket for crystal wiping :roll:. And if it scratches or deteriorates over time it can easily be removed. So far it's been almost a year and it's unmarked.

BTW i also sold my Hamilton Khaki Field auto primarily for the same reason. It's one of the few criticisms i have of the watch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I have a few people here that had to discard their Khaki Fields, is there some other models with similar styling that you picked up instead?

I've been looking at some Oris, Fortis, and Mido watches but haven't found a watch with a good looking numbered font, thin bezel, and uncluttered dial with a touch of color.
Best I've found is an LE Oris Chrono
676.7603.4084.LS.jpg

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Never knew some of the Hamilton's had some really bad watch glare as I am interested in the Khaki/King model on SS, but I think I can solve that problem by just getting the crystals double AR'ed

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
I have a Hamilton Jazzmaster with a black dial and there is definitely a lot of glare and reflection. I rarely wear it so it's not that bothersome but I find the watches I have that are black dialed with double AR coating have really amazing legibility.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My understanding is that it's not practical to take an existing watch and get it double AR coated because it's so cost prohibitive. Maybe someone can save otherwise.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
Since I have a few people here that had to discard their Khaki Fields, is there some other models with similar styling that you picked up instead?

I've been looking at some Oris, Fortis, and Mido watches but haven't found a watch with a good looking numbered font, thin bezel, and uncluttered dial with a touch of color.
View attachment 391394
The Omega replaced my Hammy, though the Fortis serves pretty much the same role as a casual watch in my rotation. Below that is a photo of my old Hammy next to a dress watch with internal AR. The difference in crystal clarity is obvious. Mind you, i'm not saying the Hammy is not good value. All of the watches shown are rather more expensive.

·
Moderator at Large
53,032 Posts
Do not own a Hamilton. So I can't contribute.

What I do knowe is that you will not come into trouble with any of those Damasko watches

·
Registered
871 Posts

View attachment 391394
I've got a Speedmaster instead (see sig). In Hamiltons defense, it was an impulse buy.
it was my first quality watch in 20 years that i bought. i wanted a nice watch, saw one in the shopping
window and bought it. didnt do any reseach at all. i really liked it for about half year till i realized
its not not my style. dont like numerals on dials, it was smallish, and lastly the glare.
When you think about the value that Hamilton offers you will realize that they have to cut somewhere.
a quality Saphire crystal can easyly cost half of a complete hammy.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Is it really a cost cutting exercise? :think: i agree Hamilton offer excellent value, but so do some other brands competing in that affordable mid-luxury sector which do have AR on their watches.

Also, as I mentioned, Rolex don't do it either, and I can't imagine that's because they are trying to max their profit margin... Or perhaps they are...! It's certainly something I am less fond of about my Rolex... that glazed reflective look... It does compare unfavorably next to a modern Omega or a Breitling with double AR.

But one can always excuse or forgive shortcomings by calling it 'charm'... :-!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Gee, and I thought it was just me. Sold this one because of the glint and glare and reflection of the chromed hands and indicies, and also the reflection off the crystal. I'll just be more careful the next time, but I really did like this one.

Attachments

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,025 Posts
This seems like a stupid question, but what are forums for??

I've just started to get interested in watches, and purchased a beautiful hamilton jazzmaster with a black dial and love the styling. However, i returned it after a week because I couldn't get past the glare. Home or work setting, I was just looking into a mirror instead of into the face.

Am I crazy here??

Is it the black dial and the contrast that is causing this issue? I know some watch makers apply anti glare, but lots don't.

Do other people have this problem or it there something about the Hamilton Crystal?
I've got several watches with sapphire crystals and none of them are AR coated. In the rare situation when a direct light is reflected I just move the watch a bit. Have you tried just changing the angle? I can't imagine your watch obliterates the dial at all angles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't like having to hold it out of the light and at just the right angle to enjoy the face. After going to a local watch shop and seeing the difference between the AR coating and the hamiltons, the choice is clear for me.

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
I have three Hamiltons and never really noticed any issues.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts