WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just became the proud owner of a very nice Citizen Aqualand Duplex that I found for a reasonable price on the bay. It was a watch only, no box or papers, but a good deal, so I jumped on it. So it arrived today, and I get home and rip it open as fast as possible, only to find it covered in WATCH GUNK!!! Now I'm not the prissy type to get all bothered by it, so I'm just gonna ask the question to all that have sold a watch before.

Do you make sure your watches are gunk free and packaged well before shipping?

Additionally the watch was packaged like utter garbage in one and a half thin bubble mailers that we're definitely recycled from something this guy received previously, because the whole mailer was taped together at the seams.

I know when I ship something out, it is gunk free, and packaged ready for the zombie apocalypse.

Anyway here's a photo of the new aquisition.

End of the rant.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Synequano

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Yes, mine are kept clean. Most people, I have found, don't clean theirs unless by accident. First thing I usually do when receiving a watch is clean it. At least so I can inspect it. I believe the technical term for that sebaceous grime is "Yurg".

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I freely give negative feedback for such behavior, and you should too.

When I ship a watch it is, simply put, as clean as it can get.

As for packaging, it will always be in a sturdy box, wrapped in bubble wrap and then surrounded by several inches of additional packaging on all sides.

I recently sold one of my kids Micky Mouse watches for $10 bucks and still packaged it as though it were a 4K certified chronometer.

It's not like being a respectful seller really adds that much time, effort or cost, if any at all.

I follow the "Golden Rule" as it were, and while I know that not everyone does, a gunk covered watch in a simple bubble wrap envelope deserves and requires negative reinforcement in order to entice correct such unacceptable behavior in the future.

PS: I save all the decent boxes, bubble wrap, packing peanuts and the like from my Amazon and other online purchases in a big box in the basement, so that makes professionally packaging the occasional watch sale pretty easy.

Reactions: ChiefWahoo

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Wrist cheese ...

When I sell a watch I realize that much of the excitement is in the initial presentation. I want my buyer to be elated when they open the box and see the watch for the first time ... just like I was. Not only do I ensure they are clean, I also make sure they are free of any fingerprints, dust, or anything else that may detract from the look when they open the box. Not doing so is a good way to ensure that your buyer will complain and may even be more tempted to file a Paypal dispute if they find something else that does not meet their expectations. It just makes sense to clean your watch before you ship it. As an aside I am OCD so my watches never really collect that much wrist cheese when I own them with no intent to sell.

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
I keep my stuff clean but many people just don't care.

yea ask them a question and if they write back without basic grammar like this runon its a good indication that they are messy dont forget

Reactions: Pallet Spoon

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of the sentiments are exactly the way I feel about it. All of my watches are meticulously cared for, and when I sell, they are as good as new. And before I even take pictures the watch is cleaned, and then packaged not to be opened again until the next buyer gets it.
I remember a Sinn U2 that I sold a few years back. The buyer was in Singapore, and I used an entire roll of shipping tape, just in case the box got left in the rain on some runway.

Clearly some just don't care.

Thanks for listening guys,
John

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChiefWahoo

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I agree with your rant completely. When I sell a watch, which I have done many many times, I make sure that it is in pristine condition.
As for packaging, I have in the past been employed by the airlines and witnessed how packages are handled by carriers and sellers need to package their shipment in such a way that it will handle being thrown, dropped, smashed etc. It irritates me to no end to buy a watch with no boxes or papers and it arrives loosely contained in a flimsy box or envelope.

·
Registered
12,583 Posts
I once received, oddly enough, a Citizen from a member here. Pallet Spoon put it best, there was wrist cheese all over the watch. I mean it was caked. Even if it was my own wrist cheese it still would have grossed me out. I can't believe a WIS would be cool with selling a watch that looked like that.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Just received a Victorinox from the bay described as"never worn". There was gunk in the grooves on the back of the strap! Even if I weren't trying to pass a watch off as unworn, I'd have scrubbed that crap until it shined. I also have received funky bracelets. WTF is wrong with these people?! I don't want your disgusting sweat dirt. Clean your ....!

·
Premium Member
71,472 Posts
I cringe when I put my own watches on with my own wrist jam on them so if ever the occasion arose where I parted with one I would ensure it was scrupulously clean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts