WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello there. I received the pictured watch in the post today, from India. It appears to be a Seiko, but the finishing quality is poor - the edges of the case are still sharp from stamping, and there are lots of milling marks. I note that the rotor is unbranded, and most images of 6319 movements show a rotor branded 'SEIKO'. All thoughts are most appreciated. It is gaining 42m/day...‎

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
The case back looks real but unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the rest of the watch. I am no expert but the Seiko logo in the dial is not the correct typeface and does not match the one on the back.

·
Premium Member
7,745 Posts
That is an aftermarket dial. The Seikos from India are well-known to always be butchered with aftermarket parts. Not sure why they keep doing that there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is an aftermarket dial. The Seikos from India are well-known to always be butchered with aftermarket parts. Not sure why they keep doing that there.
Thanks very much for your advice. The hideous/tacky dial actually attracted me to the watch in the first place, believe it or not. I'm more concerned with the movement: the main part of the movement looks original Seiko, but the rotor doesn't have the usual Seiko mark on it. Could this be a Seiko movement intended for another brand of watch and then put into this 'Monstrosity in Mumbai‎'? Or is the whole movement junk? Is it worth investigating the horrendous gain of 40+ minutes per day? I'd like to wear it, but not with that degree of inaccuracy.

Thanks again,

Niall‎

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I'd be concerned about the rotor too. It seems a bit strange that it's missing the Seiko mark.

The caseback markings seem off to me too, the Seiko typeface looks different, the Suwa logo also looks a little wrong, and I don't think a 6309-7000 is that case.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Thanks very much for your advice. The hideous/tacky dial actually attracted me to the watch in the first place, believe it or not. I'm more concerned with the movement: the main part of the movement looks original Seiko, but the rotor doesn't have the usual Seiko mark on it. Could this be a Seiko movement intended for another brand of watch and then put into this 'Monstrosity in Mumbai‎'? Or is the whole movement junk? Is it worth investigating the horrendous gain of 40+ minutes per day? I'd like to wear it, but not with that degree of inaccuracy.

Thanks again,

Niall‎
Try regulating it. If the regulator bar works, you should be able to nudge it counter-clockwise by 1/4 mm to get it more accurate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try regulating it. If the regulator bar works, you should be able to nudge it counter-clockwise by 1/4 mm to get it more accurate.
Thanks for that. Having no previous experience, I didn't know if +40min/day might indicate a more serious issue and/or be outside the range of the regulator.

Will give it a go and post back.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Thanks for that. Having no previous experience, I didn't know if +40min/day might indicate a more serious issue and/or be outside the range of the regulator.

Will give it a go and post back.
+40 min could also be a sign that it has been magnetized. Do you have, or have access to, a demagnetizer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+40 min could also be a sign that it has been magnetized. Do you have, or have access to, a demagnetizer?
I don't, unfortunately. I have zero prior watchmaking experience, beyond changing quartz batteries... If the problem were magnetisation, might I be able to see the coils of the balance spring sticking to one another? I found a forum post suggesting that this degree of inaccuracy in a 6319 movement could be due to the balance spring sagging through disuse an becoming partially caught on other parts. The OP recommended a couple of sharp taps on the caseback and the edge opposite the crown. I already tried this, to no avail.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Let it run and keep it wound for a week to see if it settles. If you have a standard magnetic compass, you can check if it is magnetized. When the compass needle is pointing North, hold that position and bring the watch up to it to see if the needle moves. Also turn the watch in different positions relative to the compass to see if the needle moves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts