WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Last birthday I was presented with the best, most thoughtful gift I've ever had....a vintage Boctok watch, and I cherish it hugely!
Unfortunately my teenage son decided to borrow it without asking and proceeded to overwind it and then drop it cracking the glass.
I'm wondering if anyone can identify the exact model and point me in the direction of somewhere I can source the replacement glass or have it fully repaired (the UK if possible).
Attaching pics
Many thanks in advance

Registered
Hi,

the crystal and mainspring can be repaired at pretty much any watchmaker as its a pretty simple job. the watch is a Vostok, I don't believe they have names or models for all their watches but im not a Russian watch expert :)

I would go on Ebay and just type in Vintage Vostok and you will find listings like the following 2 i found quick that are pretty similar.

best of luck. 馃枑

Registered
To help on the model number here's a page from a Vostok catalogue from around 1990, it looks like yours is a 548345 with a 2409A movement (top row third one along)...

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent, thanks guys, looks like I came to the right place.
Any ideas on how easy it is to source the glass as the jeweller I visited in my lunch hour said 拢500 as an early estimate o_O

Registered
Any ideas on how easy it is to source the glass as the jeweller I visited in my lunch hour said 拢500 as an early estimate o_O
A case for the 'Yorkshire Battle Cry' - "HOW MUCH?!?!"

Registered
Yikes! I mean, you can buy a full watch with that case style for under $50. Others can likely point out better sources for crystals.

Registered
You should realize your watch is worth about 拢20...

拢500 really is taking the p*ss...

Registered
lol... you can probably buy 10 of those watches for that much :)

Registered
lol... you can probably buy 10 of those watches for that much :)
The LOL meaning that 拢500 to replace a crystal and a mainspring is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, im thinking more like $80 Canadian or so but even then you might consider just buying a new one from ebay for that much.

Registered
If you measure the crystal carefully it is highly likely thatCousins would have a suitable replacement. It may well be cheaper for you to source a complete new movement from Meranom that have somebody replace the spring and service yours.

Registered
After reading all this... let me give, what I think, a practice advice:

This watch has some sentimental value to you and you want to restore it. Paying 10 times the value of the watch does not make sense. Search ebay for Russian watchmakers. Ship the watch to Russia or Ukraine. Get it fixed. I would estimate total cost under 100$. Alternatively, find a buy a donor watch and find a reasonable watchmaster. The job like this will take under 1h. Your guy wants to make 500 in 1h? Then he is probably only doing Rolexes and other luxury brands....

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your help and advice.
I think the 拢500 repair estimate was basically an "If I say 拢500 he'll go away" amount. So I will.... and I did have my grandfathers ww2 RAF watch to service too so they missed out on business.
My oldest friend bought the Vostok for me last year a few weeks before she died..... so yep, huge sentimental value to it. So I think I shall try to purchase a donor watch and get someone who knows what they're doing to swap things around :)

Registered
Thanks for all your help and advice.
I think the 拢500 repair estimate was basically an "If I say 拢500 he'll go away" amount. So I will.... and I did have my grandfathers ww2 RAF watch to service too so they missed out on business.
My oldest friend bought the Vostok for me last year a few weeks before she died..... so yep, huge sentimental value to it. So I think I shall try to purchase a donor watch and get someone who knows what they're doing to swap things around :)

Yes, watchmaster do that: give 鈥榞o away quote鈥. Truth is: he does not know what this watch is. He is careful. People who work with this watches know that there is a huge % of breaking off footer from the small chrono hand. Finding a replacement is super hard. Fixing not always possible and takes time. As we saw with a super qualified Pro who serviced 3133 and released video: he made a mistake and did not set quick calendar function (and also broke the hand). If the client pays 500$ and the calendar does not work as before he will bring back the watch (and that is again expense for the watchmaster). So he knows from his practice to overestimate watches that he has no parts for and never seen before.

Registered
Yes, watchmaster do that: give 鈥榞o away quote鈥. Truth is: he does not know what this watch is. He is careful. People who work with this watches know that there is a huge % of breaking off footer from the small chrono hand. Finding a replacement is super hard. Fixing not always possible and takes time. As we saw with a super qualified Pro who serviced 3133 and released video: he made a mistake and did not set quick calendar function (and also broke the hand). If the client pays 500$ and the calendar does not work as before he will bring back the watch (and that is again expense for the watchmaster). So he knows from his practice to overestimate watches that he has no parts for and never seen before.
that's why I hoard 3133s in all shapes and sizes, so that when one goes wrong, I could (theoretically) replace the whole movement.

Registered
Mind you, he could have just given the answer that a local watch repairer/jewellers gave me, sorry, we can't guarantee the repair, so we won't work on it - honest, and didn't harm customer relations (I'll still take a watch to them to see if they'll work on it)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts