WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a restauration project of a wristwatch I'm looking for indices or numerals that I can put on to the dial. Does anybody know where they are available? I've tried taking them off another dial, but that does not deliver very good results. Thanks!

Martin

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Most dial manufacturers I know make them themselves. Dial manufacturers often will trade various types of numerals or indices back and forth between each other. So I suggest you contact dial manufacturers .

All dial refinishers routinely remove indexes and numerals as a standard part of their work and reattach them after printing. You can't reprint a dial otherwise. Lately, many dials are not using indexes and numerals with feet, which makes them more difficult to reattach.

I suggest you buy older dials and use these indexes and numerals. That way you will get indexes and numerals with feet, which are fairly easy to remove and reattach.

·
Registered
899 Posts
+1. and to find those old dials with footed indices, go search "lots of dials" or "dial lots" on ebay. something like that. i've removed indices before to paint the dial something silly and the indices went back on easily. some of them had some sort of glue to hold them in place on the back of the dial, but they were still easy to remove.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
+1. and to find those old dials with footed indices, go search "lots of dials" or "dial lots" on ebay. something like that. i've removed indices before to paint the dial something silly and the indices went back on easily. some of them had some sort of glue to hold them in place on the back of the dial, but they were still easy to remove.

This is what watch refinishers do. They keep boxes of old indexes they have taken off dials that they have picked up at flea markets or from dial makers (old over production) or got off old watches. This is how they repair watches that have lost their indexes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts