WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to start this thread to discuss analyze all the great things different watch companies are known for. When you think of certain features on a watch, what brand do you think of ? Who does it the best? I am far from an expert but I will start.

I really like Grand Seiko's for their accuracy. Is there anyone who makes a more accurate automatic watch??

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,396 Posts
I really like Grand Seiko's for their accuracy. Is there anyone who makes a more accurate automatic watch??
Yes. But I do not get what esp. makes the Grand Seiko an standard setter or Seiko a watch innovater (which they are but I am missing the link to the Grand Seiko).

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
The King of Laconic answers! :-!

JLC (Jaeger leCoultre) has the most horological patents, I think. Just do not ask me about them, as I do not have a clue.

One quite major step forward was taken in 1904, when Cartier designed a Wrist watch, that was Humidity proof and Dust proof. (I guess if a watch is humidity proof, it will automatically be dustproof) for the famous Brazilian Aeronautical Pioneer Alberto Santos-Dumont, also Mr Cartier's drinking buddy.

Reactions: Watchbreath

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Seiko made the first commersial Quartz watch. I think.
Bulova made the Tuning Fock

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Brequet. The first company that made a multi-complication watch, finished in early 1800's

Made for the Austrian Archduchess Maria Antonia. She never received it as those nasty Frenchies cut her head off.

·
Registered
41,736 Posts
:-| Bloody Jacobins and she never said, "then let them eat cake".
Brequet. The first company that made a multi-complication watch, finished in early 1800's

Made for the Austrian Archduchess Maria Antonia. She never received it as those nasty Frenchies cut her head off.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
:-| Bloody Jacobins and she never said, "then let them eat cake".
No, she said (with a German accent) "Let them eat Apfel Strudel mit Schlagsahne".

The poor girl did not know what waited for her in France. A husband that had not come out, bad food and lousy beer.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Can't agree. It was a correct answer. In a nutshell. But correct. We have seen Seagulls here on WUS running +2 in 24h.
Although not mentioned by the OP, I would say GS is the most accurate as far as factory tolerances go. You are correct though as any watch from any manufacturer can be dead on accurate or tweaked to be.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Almost afraid to say it, even although it be true (at least, in terms of "milestones" that is), Rolex in 1926 for redesigning the case and crown system, resulting in a watch which was actually water-proof, etc. (at the very least, and importantly, as compared to all that had come before, being basically leather/feather/cork with or without coatings and resins, which wasn't all that great/practical in terms of WR, so far as the watch didn't last very long until the Rolex milestone/improvement/etc., and why men cont'd to prefer pocket watches which were protected in the pocket from the elements as such, until the Rolex Oyster came along). Then came Cartier in or about 1933, only for Wittnauer to make the claim as to actual waterproof-ness (as the term is now understood), with Omega laying claim to producing the first commercial dive watch.

Cheers.

Reactions: wlx17

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Can't agree. It was a correct answer. In a nutshell. But correct. We have seen Seagulls here on WUS running +2 in 24h.
You misunderstand. Laconic answer: Short and to the point.
Off the rails? Just a little bit.

I doubt the GS is the most accurate. Seiko, PP or ALS does not say what they accept before shipping the watch out.
JLC say the accurancy, but I do not remeber what it is.
They have two standards. The standard Standard, and the 1000 hour Standard.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Almost afraid to say it, even although it be true (at least, in terms of "milestones" that is), Rolex in 1926 for redesigning the case and crown system, resulting in a watch which was actually water-proof, etc. (at the very least, and importantly, as compared to all that had come before, being basically leather/feather/cork with or without coatings and resins, which wasn't all that great/practical in terms of WR, so far as the watch didn't last very long until the Rolex milestone/improvement/etc., and why men cont'd to prefer pocket watches which were protected in the pocket from the elements as such, until the Rolex Oyster came along). Then came Cartier in or about 1933, only for Wittnauer to make the claim as to actual waterproof-ness (as the term is now understood), with Omega laying claim to producing the first commercial dive watch.

Cheers.
What did Cartier do in 1933?
Omega Marine 1932.

A major invention is the shock proofing system. Also in the early 1930's.

JLC made a fantastic improvment to the watches with the Reverso case. Protects the vulnerable crystal. 1929 or so.

Then we have the company that started using Stainless steel in the cases. Much better than the other alloys. Most were soft, or expensive. The most common caematerial before S/s was Nickel or chrome plated brass. Soft, scratched, generally bad.
Plated brass was used by many companies up untill the 1960's (maybe even 1970's?)

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,696 Posts
I decided to start this thread to discuss analyze all the great things different watch companies are known for. When you think of certain features on a watch, what brand do you think of ? Who does it the best? I am far from an expert but I will start.

Grand Seiko watches are accurate and conservatiely attractive, but the current ones are not what I would call trend setting. Here are three that I would consider trend setting innovations:
1. Eterna from the late 1940's incorporated the first ball bearing supported rotor for automatic winding. They clearly set the standard for a durable and efficient winding mechanism.
2. Seiko from 1970 with their Astron was the first successfully marketed battery powered quartz timed watch. That watch set the stage for the quartz watch revolution that followed during that decade.
3. Pulsar from the late 1990's with their highly accurate and very affordable PSR 10. For under $100.00 ond could have an ultra thin attractive watch that was accurate to within 10 seconds per year.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Grand Seiko does state what its watches do and the specifications are tighter than COSC (cropped this a bit off):

Doesn't necessarily make them the most accurate, but there is a high standard to be achieved before a GS is considered acceptable.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts