WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you consider giving a fiance a luxury engagement timepiece instead of a ring? Would still do wedding bands.

Thoughts?
Would especially appreciate female viewpoints on this?
TIA!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I am also interesting hear peoples opinions on this, but personally I view a wedding ring as a symbol of the commitment and significance of the relationship. Such things obviously don't need a ring to be demonstrated as many married people don't wear rings at all, instead they might have a necklace, or a tattoo, etc. or nothing at all beyond their own internal emotions. So, why not select a watch to provide that symbolism, should both people involved be comfortable or at least understanding of that.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Would you consider giving a fiance a luxury engagement timepiece instead of a ring? Would still do wedding bands.

Thoughts?
TIA!
Only if she specifically asked for such, or you were told that by her best friend or sister. She's your fiance, and since you're engaged there has to have been some conversations regarding this issue. When you proposed did you give her an empty ring box with an empty envelope inside with a key that didn't go to anything?

Keep this in mind, women with a decent engagement ring have a way of making it apparent to all other women around them. A watch...not so much. Seems to me you might be off to a shaky start

·
Vendor
7,888 Posts
We did rings but on honeymoon bought "wedding watches", I got an Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow GMT and 14 years on, both watch and marriage are going strong !

·
Registered
107 Posts
As a male, I would rather get a ring over a watch. There is no chance I would ask my fiancé to pick up a $10k watch as an engagement piece, but there is every possibility that at some point in life, that may be the level of watch I am into. At that point there would be some conflict around do I wear my wedding watch, or the watch I like. A ring is much more universal in design, so you are less likely to have strong feelings towards the appearance in 5-10 years. If anything, get a less expensive ring, and then ask for a watch to celebrate an anniversary or something

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
One difference is that an engagement ring - a gold ring with a precious stone, especially a diamond - won't wear out - unlike a watch. I wouldn't buy a watch instead of a ring. I have no doubt my wife prefers her ring to any watch. It still looks like it did when she first wore it, over 40 years ago. Under a loupe, there might be a few scratches, but that's all.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Have to agree with previous posters. Women LOVE to show off the engagement ring and most wear it every day with their band. There isn't a watch that goes with everything, and certainly not in women's fashion.
Only consider if she's even more of a watch nut than you are AND she specifically asks for it...
And even if she says that, still get the ring. :D

·
Registered
669 Posts

Thoughts?
TIA!
I just asked my wife for her opinion. I got long cold stare, no words. What could she have meant by that? 😂

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I got an engagement watch and a wedding ring. My wife got an engagement ring and a wedding band.
Seemed fair and since I hate wearing rings, I have no excuse not to wear something from her.

·
Registered
239 Posts
There's clearly lots of unusual or at least non-traditional wedding rituals and ceremonies. But I would think for pretty close to 99% of brides, a watch instead of a ring is a genuinely bad idea. There's important symbolic meaning embedded in a ring: the unbroken band that represents an unbroken promise and as close as we can get--well ideally at least--to a lasting union. A watch comes on and off easily, goes out of fashion, and reminds one constantly of transience and the passage of time.

If the fiancé thinks it's a great idea, then one has no choice in the matter; but I'd hate for it to come back later with "I wish I had an engagement ring." Now both the watch and ring I think works pretty well--though it's an even pricier introduction to married life.

·
Registered
396 Posts
A ring is an internal and external symbol of commitment... a watch, not so much.

I would just buy both. If you really want to preference the watch, then allocate more money to that.

·
Registered
768 Posts
A watch as an engagement ring...

Well, it's not like you'll get to try that again and again. Running the odds on finding a woman that'll use a watch as an engagement ring. Holding it up to her friends, "Look at my pretty watch!". "It might not be gold or silver. Doesn't have diamonds, I have to wind it everyday, but....it's the thought....right?"

Yeah, good luck with that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would not replace the ring with a watch, but would certainly consider having both, with no judgement on how much you spend on either. Lots of nice looking wedding bands at prices that won't take away from the watch being the major gift. If I was spending $10,000 total for both, I'd be perfectly fine with a $200 ring!

1 - 20 of 126 Posts