WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
No, No, No. Absolutely not unless it was her idea. Even so, if you elect to get an expensive watch, I would still get her some sort of ring. As she tells her friends and family that she is engaged and shows them a watch....it won't play well in Peoria.

One option is to buy a rather inexpensive lab diamond ring or a moissanite ring to "check the boxes" and buy the watch too. I would not buy one of these without a talk with the prospective wifey. I love lab diamonds and collect them too. Holler in a DM if you have any questions or want idea where to buy lab diamonds for a great price.

I love to shop.

My poor, poor husband.

·
Registered
366 Posts
A ring is a traditional symbol of commitment. Commitment from the man when he gives it, and commitment from the woman when she accepts it.

A watch is just a present. Might as well ask if car could be an 'engagement car'...lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are you nuts?! She wants a ring, bro, don't blow it by making it about you instead of her. Read once that women account for something like 5% of the watch market.. she doesn't really care about the watch as much as a diamond ring, for sure. ( I'm gonna tell my wife about this thread later tonight and see how she reacts.)

·
Registered
Seiko LM 5601-9000
593 Posts
Would you consider giving a fiance a luxury engagement timepiece instead of a ring? Would still do wedding bands.

Thoughts?
Would especially appreciate female viewpoints on this?
TIA!
I mean, it's wildly situational. My previous partner supported the hobby but would still say "NOPE." I wager there are few people in this world that would accept a watch as an alternative.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Are you nuts?! She wants a ring, bro, don't blow it by making it about you instead of her. Read once that women account for something like 5% of the watch market.. she doesn't really care about the watch as much as a diamond ring, for sure. ( I'm gonna tell my wife about this thread later tonight and see how she reacts.)
We went shopping while on vaca and she saw the fullsize Men's DateJust w diamond bezel and her eyes got that look like she wanted it. Then she tried it on and started talking about how it made more sense than a ring. But prolly will get her both.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Unless she specifically stated that she hated rings and desperately wanted an engagement watch instead, then maybe, but otherwise, I wouldn't even think of trying or asking. There are some things you just don't mess with and a woman's jewelry is one of them.

Reactions: LauraLovesWatches

·
Registered
37,749 Posts
Weird.

Get her a ring, the watch can come later.

Reactions: brandon\

·
Registered
668 Posts
My fiancee gave me a watch instead of an engagement ring. I love it because she gave it to me but it is an anomaly in my collection and I'm finding it difficult to wear it daily because it is so out of the ordinary for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
...started talking about how it made more sense than a ring. But prolly will get her both.
If you go for both, I'd save the watch for the honeymoon. But to substitute the ring for the watch, she'll never ever let you forget it..

This is how I imagine things going, brand wise

Grand Seiko: Honey, this will sweep you off your feet.. you'll know what I mean, let me just wiggle it around and you'll see.

Omega 300M: Honey, now we have a proper BOND ;)

Rolex: Honey, these are rarer than diamonds right now.. so hot, they're all the rage, just perfect for you (I call dibs on fridays, tho..)

Cartier: Honey, this.. wait, is it the right size? It looked bigger online. Hey honey, this one's for you.

JLC: Honey, look, it has two faces, like Batman.. Why are you so serious right now? Rectangles are cool.

and finally,

Seiko: It's not aligned, but we'll have all the time in the world for that, honey

·
Registered
138 Posts
Of course! And right now, the trend is for women to wear men's watches... so pick something you personally like, and wouldn't mind wearing. Then, you can always ask her to borrow it...

Or, back in the real world: this 100% depends on the woman, her tastes and preferences, etc.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My fiancee gave me a watch instead of an engagement ring. I love it because she gave it to me but it is an anomaly in my collection and I'm finding it difficult to wear it daily because it is so out of the ordinary for me.
Nice story, she wanted the watch to stand out from the other ones.

Reactions: JLittle
21 - 40 of 126 Posts