WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
Not for my wife, because she's not into watches.

At one point, she offered to buy me a watch of equal value if I got her an engagement ring. I think she was getting impatient...lol

·
Registered
912 Posts
Bad idea... most women (don't kill me over percentages) don't give a s..t about watches, as seen in the demographics of this forum and my own experience with my wife, sisters, daughters, aunts, cousins, friends etc. They however, do care about getting engaged and they a have very specific idea as to the way you should get 'engaged'... that is with a ring! If you still give her a watch in lieu of a ring... she'll give you an adult video in lieu of sex on your wedding night!.... You have been warned.

·
Registered
Seiko SKX009, Seiko Flightmaster SNA411, Seiko SNE032, Casio G-SHOCK GW6900
1 Posts
If the partner is really into timepieces, then why not. Although I am more of a "traditionalist" in some sense, and I'd favor a ring. But ultimately it is up to you! I don't think there is anything wrong with an alternative to the ring though. (I'm a guy FYI).

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
Heck no. If I did that de Beers mafia Group would sell me some concrete boots and a scuba dive.

Maybe 100 years later when we can decondition the human mind that diamonds are what love is, not emotional attachment.

·
Registered
260 Posts
As a guy, I'd rather have a nice watch (e.g. Rolex) than a wedding ring of equivalent value. That being said, of course I'd still wear a wedding band but of lesser dollar value.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,829 Posts
There is a lot of symbolism and tradition behind an engagement ring that a watch does not have. And showing a ring to girlfriends, mom, sisters, etc., is pretty important. I'd say leave the watch for a first year anniversary gift and stick with tradition.

·
Registered
Hamilton Worldtimer
3 Posts
Would only ever do wedding rings for the wedding... but view watches (with engraving a name/message) as a perfect anniversary gift.

·
Premium Member
13,942 Posts
One difference is that an engagement ring - a gold ring with a precious stone, especially a diamond - won't wear out - unlike a watch. I wouldn't buy a watch instead of a ring. I have no doubt my wife prefers her ring to any watch. It still looks like it did when she first wore it, over 40 years ago. Under a loupe, there might be a few scratches, but that's all.
Congratulations on chalking up that significant anniversary, well done !!

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
18,330 Posts
Would I, personally? No.

My thoughts on others doing it? If it makes the fiance happy, you do you

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Absolutely not under any circumstances. A wedding ring is a sacred thing, it symbolises the union between two people. A watch has a totally different vibe. You can add a watch to the ring if you want to, but not replace the latter with the former.

·
Registered
244 Posts
To me it depends upon the person receiving the engagement ring or watch. If they decide they want an engagement watch, then get them an engagement watch. If not, get an engagement ring. I wish you the best of luck in the engagement.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Ask her what a perfect engagement proposal or"ask" would be like.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I think my wife would have liked that idea better. She never even wears her engagement ring because she’s afraid to lose a stone. A band and a watch would have been better for her I think

41 - 60 of 126 Posts