WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 80 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Dunno.... if the marriage fails but the passion for the watch doesn't, do you get rid of the watch the way you would the ring?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Breitling, Cartier, Casio, Rolex (x2), Seiko, Sinn, Tissot (x3)
597 Posts
I would not have given my wife an "engagement" watch. She would have declined my proposal. I am happily married today because I did what she wanted. Now I get to buy the watches I want.

Be sure to make the right choice when you get down on bended knee...

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I got married for a second time at the end of last year. The ring exchange was conventional but we both exchanged additional wedding gifts. She gave me a Tudor Pelagos and I gave her a Cartier Diamond Pendant. She never wears a watch so, it would not have been considered as a gift for her at all.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Look if she ever throws you and the ring out the door that's not a big drama
but if she throws you and a watch out the door well it could break the watch, so....

get her a G-Shock.

·
Registered
15,645 Posts
Would you consider giving a fiance a luxury engagement timepiece instead of a ring? Would still do wedding bands.

Thoughts?
Would especially appreciate female viewpoints on this?
TIA!
orrrr..why not just ask her what she wants?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Both must be one-watch lover, the wedding watches must be worn 24/7 so preferably bracelet & automatic. Meaningful & romantic than rings as it has movement, it is alive.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Both must be one-watch lover, the wedding watches must be worn 24/7 so preferably bracelet & automatic. Meaningful & romantic than rings as it has movement, it is alive.
Yeah, Im sure. However you want to excuse it. Better get the ring. I'm on your side. I want you to be happy.

Better get the ring.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Carbide for men is acceptable. ~$20

For Her? The woman you've promised to protect for life. At least to the best of your abilities. As a Man, isn't She worth gold?

I promise you, She doesn't want a watch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There’s no historical symbolism to an engagement watch. There is however some limited tradition behind the wedding watch. Unless the fiancé is a watch nerd I would highly recommend against it. Or if it’s a second wedding maybe

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
There is a lot of symbolism and tradition behind an engagement ring that a watch does not have. And showing a ring to girlfriends, mom, sisters, etc., is pretty important. I'd say leave the watch for a first year anniversary gift and stick with tradition.
Aren't you one of the heads of the forum? Shouldn't you be saying yes get an engagement watch, bridal shower watch, meeting with the wedding planner watch, rehearsal number 1 watch, rehearsal number 2 watch, bachelor party watch, wedding day watch, a new watch, a used watch, a blue watch, wedding band watch pair, driving off watch, honeymoon flight watch, etc, etc . . . :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got my wife an engagement ring, and then a watch as a wedding gift, which she wore for many years, then got into smart watches and now wears an Apple Watch, and I pretend that she doesn’t notice my growing collection in the closet.
I say make the engagement a ring, something that she can show off, and everyone will recognize what it is. Then buy her the watch later, wedding gift? Now you have covered your bases.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can't believe this is a real question. The ring is all about symbolism. The engagement ring is usually of a timeless design, so that as her tastes change through the years the ring will always be a classic, and it will never be out of fashion or fall out of (her) favour.

The wedding ring is even more symbolic because the $ value should be insignificant. It is also of a classic design for the same reasons.

A watch can be transient, easy to part with. Just because she likes a Rolex today doesn't mean she'll still like it in 5 years.

If you really want to get her the watch, make it a wedding gift. But the rings can't be substituted.

61 - 80 of 126 Posts