WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Wistful thinking I know, it does take two to clap on this matter.
People talk of history. Dress it up. It's known as the King and Queen.

The King lets the Queen run things. Any back talk to the Queen. It's on. It's the biology of having a pair of nuts.

Don't think you run nothing. Better get the ring.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Speaking as a woman, I would prefer an engagement watch over a ring. But he would have to understand that while special, it would be in the rotation and have to take its turn on my wrist with my other watches.

I never liked the expectation that a woman has to wear the symbol of commitment before the wedding, but the man gets to keep walking around ring-free. I wouldn't want to wear an engagement ring. Not to mention that my wearing of rings is very inconsistent. I like them but they get in the way of yard work, working with tools, etc.

But that's me, a watch geek who isn't even interested in marriage at all (middle age and still happily single). For you, OP, if she's open to an engagement watch, and it sounds like she is, then go for it. For anyone else, probably best not to surprise her with it. But by the time you're considering engagement, you should know whether she'd like it or not.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
orrrr..why not just ask her what she wants?
This is the only correct answer. There’s exactly one person whose opinion matters.

I‘m a married woman, without an engagement ring. I also would not have wanted an engagement watch. But you’re not marrying me, or anyone else on this forum. Start your lifetime of happiness off on the right foot and communicate. How and when you propose will still be a surprise.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Oh, my God.

I see trouble ahead, even if this catastrophe is averted.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
orrrr..why not just ask her what she wants?
Exactly.

I couldn't even get my wife to accept a sapphire or conflict-free diamond, so an engagement watch would have been out of the picture. Not even asking would have set us up for a short marriage or a lifetime of resentment.

On the other hand, if your beau will accept an engagement baguette, then bon appetit.

·
Registered
15,645 Posts
Exactly.

I couldn't even get my wife to accept a sapphire or conflict-free diamond, so an engagement watch would have been out of the picture. Not even asking would have set us up for a short marriage or a lifetime of resentment.

On the other hand, if your beau will accept an engagement baguette, then bon appetit.
an engagement is actually the starting line and not the finishing line. Starting off forcing a watch on her is NOT going to bode well.
How did you propose? Say you're gonna apply for a flat? LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Well great thoughts from everyone. Thank you!

And for context, this is not the first rodeo for either of us. I just thought I would ask the opinion of others here. People who also value watches.

It sounds like the safe move is to buy her a ring, a watch, a car, etc. - for starters.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
When I got married, I didn't want a ring. It seemed so boringly traditional, which I am just not into. My wife, then fiancee, insisted we get rings. It was our one concession to marriage tradition. 25 years later, we're still married, and I'm really glad I have the ring. It's on me almost always, and it's become a part of me. I love having it on when I travel--it's a symbol of love and home, and continuity.

I love my watches too, but they are more transient, more tied to specific moments. What I'm saying is that what the ring will actually mean may only emerge over time.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
That is purely going to depend on the person receiving the engagement item. I would have a discussion about that first. Some insults and moves can never be undone. By insult I mean, giving someone an engagement item when they are fully expecting the ring, going in with no idea of who you're dealing with.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
an engagement is actually the starting line and not the finishing line. Starting off forcing a watch on her is NOT going to bode well.
How did you propose? Say you're gonna apply for a flat? LOL
Nah, we've never qualified for a flat, so had to do it the old fashioned way lol.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Sure....go for it....a luxury watch will prob have lost slightly less value than a diamond ring when you get the almost inevitable reaction and have to flip it.

Kidding, of course, but as with all big ideas in life, always best to run them past management first and get board approval.

And you could do what I did; get her the ring for the engagement and use that and the occasion as about the best cover you'll have to secure fiancé approval to get yourself a nice watch you've had your eye on for a while (and which purchase would otherwise potentially precipitate a 'conversation')......."I'm getting it as my engagement watch, darling. It will always be with me and remind me of this wonderful moment in our lives".....and so on and so forth.

It works.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
My girlfriend happily agreed on the wedding watch idea!

Now she has to wait 5 years until my Rolex AD calls 😈

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I told my wife that this would be like IDEAL however I ended up getting a band from her and she got the equivalent of a new boat in the form of a ring & diamonds. She has since made up for this slight error by getting me a watch or two which if you think about the idea of metals in a shape of a circle then what larger more loving is there then a watch vs just some band ... its actually the more romantic thing to do.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 126 Posts