WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Would you consider giving a fiance a luxury engagement timepiece instead of a ring? Would still do wedding bands.

Thoughts?
Would especially appreciate female viewpoints on this?
TIA!
Yup! My wife and I did this (we talked about it first though).

And we did wedding bands + a simple ring with small diamonds for her (which was relatively inexpensive compared to the typical engagement ring.

P.S.: the watch was an AP Royal Oak so we weren't trying to cut costs but rather just weren't big fans of the whole engagement ring hype.

The watch buying process was fun too. She isn't into watches the way I am so this was also her way of learning more about my crazy hobby.

We went to a bunch of ADs/boutiques and tried on a ton of different watches - everything from JLC to Cartier to Rolex and Patek. The AP was her favorite. The whole experience took a few months and was a fun project for us.

Watch Hand Analog watch Clock Finger

·
Registered
99 Posts
No.
1. Always ask your better half what their preference would be. FOMO is real.
2. If you're Asian, this is a huge no. Gifting a watch is akin to putting a time (limit) on a relationship and considered a faux pas. Of course, if you don't believe in these superstitions then it's a non-issue.
3. A ring and a watch may be the other ideal. It's not unusual for the in-laws to gift a watch. Whilst usually more towards the groom, it can go the other way.

Or just go for both.

·
Registered
122 Posts
No.
1. Always ask your better half what their preference would be. FOMO is real.
2. If you're Asian, this is a huge no. Gifting a watch is akin to putting a time (limit) on a relationship and considered a faux pas. Of course, if you don't believe in these superstitions then it's a non-issue.
3. A ring and a watch may be the other ideal. It's not unusual for the in-laws to gift a watch. Whilst usually more towards the groom, it can go the other way.

Or just go for both.
On #2 - yea, a lot of this is cultural. I'm not originally from the US and we don't do engagement rings in my home country. And even though my wife is American, she doesn't really believe in the hype around engagement rings.

In fact - even in the US, engagement rings weren't always a thing. Now of course they have a lot of tradition behind it. This video on engagement rings is funny and informative.

·
Premium Member
41,091 Posts
Sure I would give her a watch instead of a ring.

I would then have to get used to living in the garage the rest of my married life............

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
No, No, No. Absolutely not unless it was her idea. Even so, if you elect to get an expensive watch, I would still get her some sort of ring. As she tells her friends and family that she is engaged and shows them a watch....it won't play well in Peoria.

I love to shop.

My poor, poor husband.
Peoria IL or AZ?

I wholeheartedly agree that substituting a watch for an engagement or wedding ring would have be 100% endorsed by the spouse.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Well lots of thoughts. And most of you are highly in favor of a watch instead of a ring.

(Joking)

I will let you know how it turns out. We are definitely going to do bands. And if she wants a ring, I will get her one.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Would you consider giving a fiance a luxury engagement timepiece instead of a ring? Would still do wedding bands.

Thoughts?
Would especially appreciate female viewpoints on this?
TIA!
For the soon-to-be-Missus? Big no, unless it's a gift in addition to a ring. For yourself? Sure, if you're going to wear it all the time (or at least for the time up to the wedding). If you're going to put it into the rotation with your other watches, it sounds to me like you're just looking for an excuse to acquire another watch.

My grandmother gave my grandfather a gold Rolex as a wedding gift when they married in 1927. It looks like he wore it all the time, for everything (from the state of it, he juggled rocks a lot :( )

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think I’d want the ring or both for her. For me a watch. All comes down to her personal opinions though. For years I’d thought I’d want to get a sub and have the case back engraved, but now that a retail sub isn’t really possible I think that dream is crushed as the timing won’t line up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
A ring made of precious metal (e.g. gold) is an appreciating asset.
A watch is a depreciating asset (whether you accept the fact or not).
You choose.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not unless she explicitly asked for it. And has made it clear she hates rings. Or doesn't have fingers.

I do really like the idea of a wedding watch or honeymoon watch or something. My wife got me a somewhat inexpensive watch as a gift and I wore it at our wedding and is in all the pictures. It does make me think back to the day when I put it on.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts