WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get some thoughts/recommendations from high end watch owners. Do you typically insure your watches?

If I would like to get insurance against theft or accidental damage, what are the best companies to take out policies?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I'd like to get some thoughts/recommendations from high end watch owners. Do you typically insure your watches?

If I would like to get insurance against theft or accidental damage, what are the best companies to take out policies?
Not sure of your location but in the UK most Insurance Companies will cover them on the home insurance up to a certain value for a minimal extra charge.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi.

There was a good thread on this a little while ago that you might like to read through? Any other questions that remain unanswered by that thread then let us all know and we'll try and help.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f381/high-end-watch-insurance-699063.html

Regards,
Thanks for the suggestion, I actually found that thread when I searched, the issue is the common suggestion on there is to add it to your home insurance. However, the issue with that is that doesn't cover me when I am traveling, I get robbed in the street, I accidentally break the watch, or have some diving/swimming accident, etc.

Can anybody suggest some good insurances for those types of situations? I'm not so worried about somebody breaking into my house and robbing me as I am day to day incidents.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, I actually found that thread when I searched, the issue is the common suggestion on there is to add it to your home insurance. However, the issue with that is that doesn't cover me when I am traveling, I get robbed in the street, I accidentally break the watch, or have some diving/swimming accident, etc.

Can anybody suggest some good insurances for those types of situations? I'm not so worried about somebody breaking into my house and robbing me as I am day to day incidents.
Actually, at least here in Texas, if the watch is specifically listed on my home owners' insurance policy, it is covered even when not inside my house. So if a link pin/screw breaks and it crashes to the streets of New Orleans, or I am robbed in Los Angeles (much more likely), then my home owners insurance covers the loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Actually, at least here in Texas, if the watch is specifically listed on my home owners' insurance policy, it is covered even when not inside my house. So if a link pin/screw breaks and it crashes to the streets of New Orleans, or I am robbed in Los Angeles (much more likely), then my home owners insurance covers the loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same with mine.

I think most Insurance companies realise that a watch will be worn away from home so will cover for this.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts

On my home insurance I'm covered outside of the house for the watch I wear (theft, damage, etc) whilst I am out and about and the other pieces in the collection as covered so long as they are in the house (over a certain value some have to be in the safe).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Watch Insurance

Hi,

I was just wondering if there are any specific insurance policies that you can take out to protect your watch(~$5000 range). I do not personally own a home so home insurance is out of the question.

I am mostly worried about robbery because I work in a populated city and at times have to walk at night. What happens when you have an insurance policy and you get mugged?

Thank you!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Re: Watch Insurance

Hi, an inland marine policy is what you need. Your agent can get you specifics on what it will cover and how much it will cost, typically it will cover against theft, fire, etc, and be a minimal premium.

Hi,

I was just wondering if there are any specific insurance policies that you can take out to protect your watch(~$5000 range). I do not personally own a home so home insurance is out of the question.

I am mostly worried about robbery because I work in a populated city and at times have to walk at night. What happens when you have an insurance policy and you get mugged?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts

I can't afford the insurance here in Ca. I got a quote of $270 for every $10K worth of coverage.
$270 for a 10k watch does not seem to bad. Isnt it worth the piece of mind?
That sounds high to me. I have several watches, some jewelry, and some artwork covered under a personal articles policy. Coverage on the watches is in the neighborhood of $1.25 per $100. We use State Farm for homeowner's, automobile, and personal liability as well.

The problem with coverage under homeowner's is that there are larger deductibles and lower limits to coverage. Check this out with your agent. It's possible, for instance, that you can list a watch on your homeowner's and have a $500 or $1000 deductible with a $2500 limit. Lose your Breguet and you're SOL.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi,

Thank you!
Renters insurance. I have a "valuable property" addendum on mine. In my case, its a general policy by dollar value - you can also list specific items - but if you have the general policy, it covers jewelry, electronics, watches, guns, etc.

For the amount of replacement value, IMHO, this insurance is super cheap.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts

That sounds high to me. I have several watches, some jewelry, and some artwork covered under a personal articles policy. Coverage on the watches is in the neighborhood of $1.25 per $100. We use State Farm for homeowner's, automobile, and personal liability as well.

The problem with coverage under homeowner's is that there are larger deductibles and lower limits to coverage. Check this out with your agent. It's possible, for instance, that you can list a watch on your homeowner's and have a $500 or $1000 deductible with a $2500 limit. Lose your Breguet and you're SOL.
But if I own more than one watch which one should list?...:-s

·
Registered
540 Posts

I would think if you can afford a $40k watch, you can probably afford $1080 to insure it. I could be wrong though.

But if you own a $40k watch then it is $270 X 4 = $1080 per yr...o|

·
Registered
540 Posts

I'm a little confused by this too. You can list more than one watch on any insurance policy. It's called scheduled property, and you can schedule any property you want to be covered.

But if I own more than one watch which one should list?...:-s

·
Registered
2,821 Posts

I'm a little confused by this too. You can list more than one watch on any insurance policy. It's called scheduled property, and you can schedule any property you want to be covered.
Sure I can, but it'll cost more money, let say I own four $5k watch = $20k, so take $2.70 per $100 x 20 = $540 per yr.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts