WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does it seem like most watch journalists / bloggers / video bloggers, etc are so young -- like mid-20s to early 30s? For every Jack Forster, it seems like there are 10 Stephen Pulvirents. Don't get me wrong, some of them put out perfectly fine content and many are impressively knowledgeable, but how did these 27 year olds become taste makers, especially those writing about haute horology?

Like Ben Clymer, for example, who is this guy? Does he come from old money or something, such that he had sufficient life experience to start writing about such high end watches, antique cars, and other old-rich-people paraphernalia when he was 1/2 the age of his average reader?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be ageist or elitist, I'm just trying to understand where these watch reviewers are coming from.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think it entirely depends on which medias you are using. While I am fairly young, I favor journals and websites over blogs/instagram/youtube. Hence, most of my watches' knowledge come from people like Aurel Bacs, Gary Geit, Nick Foulkes, Martin Green, Jiaxan Su, the youngest maybe being Ryan Schmidt. I also read directly from watchmakers (Dufour and Speake Marin are very prolific for instance).

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ben Clymer appears to be a guy who decided to start a small side business around his passion/hobby that ultimately turned into a full-fledged business. It happens occasionally, years ago there were these two guys in Cupertino building little computers as a hobby/small business, and ended up making a few bucks in the process. Its usually younger guys doing this because they're less tied down to a full time career, family commitments, etc. and have less to lose by quitting their day job should that be required.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I’m actually encouraged by this fact. Maybe when all of us old farts die off, there will still be people who care about watches...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Ben Clymer appears to be a guy who decided to start a small side business around his passion/hobby that ultimately turned into a full-fledged business. It happens occasionally, years ago there were these two guys in Cupertino building little computers as a hobby/small business, and ended up making a few bucks in the process. Its usually younger guys doing this because they're less tied down to a full time career, family commitments, etc. and have less to lose by quitting their day job should that be required.
One guy. Jobs was a parasite and Wozniak was an engineer at HP.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Point that crossed my mind...

You're talking Internet blogs principally...magazines have been dead for ages. 60-somethings don't go into the Internet, 20-something and 30-something do.

Then also figure...20- and 30-somethings will work for less.

·
Watchuseek Journalist
1,753 Posts
I think it's this. Eventually many get more lucrative offers and move on.
Some of us stay where we are for many years and support lot of small independent brands to bring forward creativity and diversity. I enjoy dinner and engaging discussion with Dufour as much as beer with Felix and Simon of Hanhart. Learning and understanding different points of view makes it all worthwhile - both from young and old time bloggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
the access to information today is larger and faster than ever, also there are a lot of wannabe's so it's hard to tell what from what

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
1) Social media = mostly young people
2) Young people are in constant search on ways to make business/money
3) You don't have to be rich to have access to items to review, its all about relationships now

·
Registered
163 Posts
Correct - he's 36.

That said, there are older guys, like Jack Forster and Joe Thompson. Wei Koh is somewhere in between.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just writing to say it's funny we have the exact same avatar. It's been my IG avatar since 2014. When I saw it just now I thought it has to be my post

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts