WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Portsea from the Melbourne Watch Co as I liked the triple calendar and white dial. I am quite happy with the overall fit and finish of the watch, although to be fair, I have worn it for only about an hour so far.

I noticed a peculiar thing today - whenever I shake the watch, I can hear a sort of rattling sound from within the case. Almost like the rotor is whirring a few rotations. The watch continues to run without any issues.

Anyone else faced this issue or know something about it?

I have attached a picture of the watch for reference.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
A bit of rotor whirring sound is normal with most watches fitted with auto movements. The only watches I've owned absent or near absent of any sound (apart from ticking) are quartz, handwinders and... Rolex.

I believe the Porsea is fitted with a Miyota, and those movements have significant whirring sound as normal.

·
Premium Member
8,039 Posts
Could possibly be a loose rotor.

Take it to a watchmaker for an opinion as it ought to be a relatively simple fix.

Inform the manufacturer FIRST.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
I had to look up the movement. It's a Miyota 9122, which is uni-directional winding. Are you sure "rattling" is the proper word to describe the sound?

If the 9122 is anything like the 90xx movements, you're hearing the rotor free spin in the opposite direction from winding. Love it, hate it, be impartial to it. It's a quirk.

I personally kind of enjoy it when I hear my Miyotas freespin, and occasionally feel the rotor wobble.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to look up the movement. It's a Miyota 9122, which is uni-directional winding. Are you sure "rattling" is the proper word to describe the sound?
You are right. Whirring is more like it. I was in a hurry to type and didn’t think it through.
Updated the thread title.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the Porsea is fitted with a Miyota, and those movements have significant whirring sound as normal.
If the 9122 is anything like the 90xx movements, you're hearing the rotor free spin in the opposite direction from winding. Love it, hate it, be impartial to it. It's a quirk.
Thanks for the quick replies. This is exactly what is sounds like.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You'll notice that unlike a quartz watch, an automatic watch doesn't tick. The spinning rotor sound is a feature that the manufacturers built in to let you know that your watch is working. You can usually avoid it by holding your arm perfectly still. Many high-end watches will automatically detect your preferences over a couple of days, and stop running.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I learned a sad lesson about automatic watch rotors a few years back. A number of years ago when I only had, maybe, three automatics, I used to quite often give my watches a whirl just to listen to the rotor. Well, that rotor sound proceeded to become louder and louder with one of my watches. So I took it to a local watchmaker and learned that the rotor's bearing was damaged. The quote to repair was $500 - BUT that would include a fully servicing and lubrication of the 7750 automatic movement. I set the watch aside and it's been in a drawer for years. Recently I found another watchmaker who would do the same thing for $300 and I might do it now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I learned a sad lesson about automatic watch rotors a few years back. A number of years ago when I only had, maybe, three automatics, I used to quite often give my watches a whirl just to listen to the rotor. Well, that rotor sound proceeded to become louder and louder with one of my watches. So I took it to a local watchmaker and learned that the rotor's bearing was damaged. The quote to repair was $500 - BUT that would include a fully servicing and lubrication of the 7750 automatic movement. I set the watch aside and it's been in a drawer for years. Recently I found another watchmaker who would do the same thing for $300 and I might do it now.
Don't really need to worry about the Miyota 9 movements. They seem to be designed to take a beating and last for 10+ years without servicing.

·
Premium Member
2,818 Posts
A bit of rotor whirring sound is normal with most watches fitted with auto movements. The only watches I've owned absent or near absent of any sound (apart from ticking) are quartz, handwinders and... Rolex.

Other high-end brands with in-house movements are silent as well. Tudor, IWC, Zenith, Omega, etc. It's the cheap Miyota and Seiko stuff that rattles.

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
:rolleyes: It's not a baby rattle, DO NOT shake.

I opened this thread to see how many posts I had to read to find this one lol

Other high-end brands with in-house movements are silent as well. Tudor, IWC, Zenith, Omega, etc. It's the cheap Miyota and Seiko stuff that rattles.
The 7750 can be pretty loud as well

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
My Skagen also has a Miyota movement.

You get used to it.

Reactions: WizardofWatch

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Yeah. It’s not as jarring now. But still weird to hear your watch whirring every time I move my hand.
My Longines Heritage Conquest is my loudest watch all around. It has an ETA 2824 and I can hear it easily further than arm's length. I can also feel the rotor the most. It is also my smallest watch at 35mm (I have an incoming 34mm Hamilton from the 50's arriving soon). The case size and mass likely have an effect on how much you can hear and feel.

Reactions: WizardofWatch

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My Longines Heritage Conquest is my loudest watch all around. It has an ETA 2824 and I can hear it easily further than arm's length. I can also feel the rotor the most. It is also my smallest watch at 35mm (I have an incoming 34mm Hamilton from the 50's arriving soon). The case size and mass likely have an effect on how much you can hear and feel.
Thanks for this. Always good to learn new things on the forum! 👍🏻

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It’s funny how different people have such different experiences with the same watch brands.

I have 6 more automatics apart from the Portsea - a Tissot, Breitling SOH II, Oris Aquis, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega AT, and a LLD bronze. Never heard so much as a squeak.

Well, guess this watch lends a bit of ‘voice’ to my collection!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts