WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I Really Love Watches And Just Want To Know What is The Best Watch Movements For High Ends Watches Like Hublot, Rolex, Breitling, Patek Philippe, Etc. Also Wanted to Know Any Info On How to Find Companies Overseas Who Make And Specialize In These Movements And Make Them. Any Info Is Thankful.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Summary of watch movements:

Patek : best consistent and accurate high end movement

Lange : prettiest high end movement

FP Journe : most innovative movement and best for independents

JLC : best value complicated high end movement

Rolex : best durable and robust auto movement

Omega : Debatably as good as Rolex

Grand seiko : best engineered and accurate luxury movement

Zenith : best chronograph movement

UN : best user friendly perpetual calendar

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Well summarized from Crunchy

Reactions: Crunchy

·
Registered
10,228 Posts

Great list. I'd also throw in Nomos for value.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
AP and VC are most notably missing from this list.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
AP and VC are most notably missing from this list.
I agree AP should be listed, but as I understand it VC hasn't really been making their own movements for much longer than 10 years or so - which is surprising given how long they have been making watches.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Audemars Piguet: Most luxurious watch among the "not know"

Vacheron: Most luxurious among Asia

I joke I joke

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hello, I Really Love Watches And Just Want To Know What is The Best Watch Movements For High Ends Watches Like Hublot, Rolex, Breitling, Patek Philippe, Etc. Also Wanted to Know Any Info On How to Find Companies Overseas Who Make And Specialize In These Movements And Make Them. Any Info Is Thankful.
1- Patek Philippe.
2- A.Lange&Söhne
3- Greubel Forsey.
4- Audemars Piguet.
5- Breguet.
6- Jaeger Lacoultre.
7- Vacheron Constantin.
8- F.P.Journe.
9- Roger dubuis.
10-Franck Muller.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Audemars Piguet: Most luxurious watch among the "not know"

Vacheron: Most luxurious among Asia

I joke I joke
Can't speak for all of Asia, but when I was in China a few months ago, I saw so many VC knockoffs my head was spinning. And these street vendors kept saying, "Better than Rolex! Better than Rolex!" That and Panerai: Two hottest brands in China right now in my guesstimation. So, I come back to the States, go to the South Coast Plaza in Orange County to try on a few timepieces, walk into a VC boutique and every single person working there is Chinese.

I ended up buying a Patek.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Chinese love VC? Really?
Hmm that's interesting.
Maybe it's the beautiful dials they seem to be focused on.
Anyway I much prefer Patek's reputation over VC.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Chinese love VC? Really?
Hmm that's interesting.
Maybe it's the beautiful dials they seem to be focused on.
Anyway I much prefer Patek's reputation over VC.
Yea apparently VC's biggest market is in Asia. But I do prefer a Patek over a VC

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
I'm not sure I fully understand your post. Your first sentence seems to ask our opinion on the various high end makers. The next one asks about how to find companies who make movements, that is, other than the actual brands of the watches such as those you mentioned. Are you by any chance asking what non-in-house watch movements are best (i.e., third party movement makers) or are you asking who makes the best watches?

If you are looking for the general "low down" on the major high end brands, Crunchy's list, plus Audemars Piguet and possibly Breguet should get you going in the right direction. There are micro brands that make really excellent movements as well, movements that are arguably the equal of any on Crunchy's list. Maitres du Temps is one example of such a company. There are probably something on the order of 20 more or so that are of note, along with the purely independent watchmakers.

All the best.

Being a one of a kind means we are automatically the best in the world at what we do.
-- Victor Williamson

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Abu might trade his FP Journe for a PP..:-d
That would be funny.
Haha over my dead body! You guys have exaggerated my post. I prefer a Patek over a VC only cause the VC looks don't do it for me. Their stuff isn't the most stunning stuff to my eyes and if I were faced with a choice between the two...id pick a Patek cause it is easier to get rid of. The statement was "...over a VC" however, I would not be faced with that choice as I would love to put my money toward a Journe any day.

Honestly, if I ever get a Patek it would not be because I drool over their movements or craftsmanship cause I dont...I would only get it to take advantage of the guys who would pay me just as much or more than what I payed because they dont know better. Basically, investing in watches is a bad idea unless....its a Patek or Rolex cause everyone wants those.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts