WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Just a heads up guys that there are scammers around on the forum watching the sales listings. I have a watch up for sale and I got an email from one Christine Schmidt relating to it. This in and of itself was not unusual as I have received emails in the past from propective buyers. But when I replied, the next reply from Christine immediately looked to me to be very similar in language to the various scams around online. Anyway I obviously deleted the emails and have not replied again. I also received an identically worded email from a Mr. Matt Codd a few minutes later. I work in IT so its my job to notice these things so just in case any body is contacted by these types be careful.

Also if you are using paypal, then be advised that paypal emails do not come with signatures or escrow arrangements. There is only one real way to be sure if your funds are there, log into paypal from your browser and not via a link from an email. Then check to see that the funds are there. Scammers will sometimes duplicate the paypal email format to trick you into thinking you have been paid. Also remember that the from field in an email means essentially nothing, it can easily be spoofed. The only way to really check where it came from would be to check the headers of the email which may be beyond non technical types so the easy way is just log into your paypal and check for payment. All the best.
Barry.

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
I stopped putting my email is WTS or WTB ads also. I had one person, obvious scammer, contact me for every watch I was looking for!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya good idea, I think from now on I will get people to contact me through the WUS private message system before I divulge my email address. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hahahaha, you just gave me the laugh that I needed to get me through to home time and over the 3-4 o clock slump at work my friend.

·
Registered
820 Posts
got a christine schmidt scammer email myself , i knew it was scammer lol, said buying for grandson roflmao . ive been playing with them lol

BE CAREFUL . they or him or her replied to m kazimon i got for sale .

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
So should we not put our email in our sales threads? They could scam you just as easily through a pm, no? Is it OK to put your email in your profile, or don't even do that?

But that is very good advice to ck your paypal account through your web browser, and log on to verify funds received. Sometimes I do rely on those emails from paypal.

But does anyone know, is the seller good to go as soon as the buyer's $ hits the paypal account? I've heard some say the seller should wait for the funds to clear. And that this is typically one day.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Gary,
Regarding PayPal clearing times these only apply when the funds have been sent to you from a checking account as ye call them in the states. If your buyer is using a credit card or actual funds from their PayPal account then these are not subject to a clearing time and in order for them to be returned to the buyer you would have to authorize a refund or in the case of a dispute between you and the buyer PayPal would contact you and notify you of the disputes process. Those types of funds are immediately authorized. It is best not to send an item until the funds have cleared in the case of the funds being sent you from a buyers checking account via PayPal. Here are two links that you might find interesting.

Paypal Uncleared Status

Paypal Payment Status FAQ

·
Registered
578 Posts
hahahaha, you just gave me the laugh that I needed to get me through to home time and over the 3-4 o clock slump at work my friend.
Haha...I know what you mean. I'm so glad it's home time already where I am at. Anyway back OT, I can imagine a hive of scammers attracted to the literal 'wealth' in WUS like bees to honey.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
BTW, here's a photo of "christine schmidt":

thumbnail.jpeg

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
the buyer can always dispute after receiving the item which will cause automatic reversal of the payment unless it is paid via GIFT option on paypal.

Now, CC payment is easier to dispute/reverse as CC companies can force Paypal to reverse it and paypal WILL SEIZE your account if you don't have enough balance on your paypal account to cover the $$ in question and collection agency will be after you. IF you have enough balance for the disputed amount, then you are SOL and the balance will be taken out. Thus be very careful accepting paypal payments.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
The best advice as others have said here is to not put your e-mail address in the thread and of course, if an offer just doesn't seem quite right don't do it! go with your gut even if it means you turn away a legit potential buyer.....better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
641 Posts
But when I replied, the next reply from Christine immediately looked to me to be very similar in language to the various scams around online. Anyway I obviously deleted the emails and have not replied again. I also received an identically worded email from a Mr. Matt Codd a few minutes later. I work in IT so its my job to notice these things so just in case any body is contacted by these types be careful.
Would you describe what sort of language so that we know what to look out for?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
if you ever get a letter from a Nigerian 'princess', you'd know ;)

it's usually very formal and flowery with imperfect grammar (though bad grammar in itself is not a big indication, as there are WIS around the world) or strange use of words

and what really clinches it is payment through Western Union, you're basically sending cash over to a name that probably doesnt exist

Would you describe what sort of language so that we know what to look out for?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts