WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this phenomenon which I'll refer to as the "Watch Parallax Phenomenon." As WPP goes, a watch looks smaller on your wrist as viewed from, well, from your head, as compared to seeing your watch on someone elses wrist where it looks considerably larger. Or maybe compared to seeing a picture of you with your watch on. I'll wear my Sub and think its a nice size but not overly big, but then I'll see one on someone else and think, wow, they must have gotten the Maxicase-Sub. Same happens with pretty much all of my watches. I'm afraid to see my 44mm Panerai on someone else with a spindly wrist like mine.

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,832 Posts
G'day John,

Long time no speak. I think Einstein spent a lifetime trying to work out the universal theory of everything but started out chewing off a little chunk called the theory of relativity:).
I think you are on the brink of something big with your observations!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G'day John,

Long time no speak. I think Einstein spent a lifetime trying to work out the universal theory of everything but started out chewing off a little chunk called the theory of relativity:).
I think you are on the brink of something big with your observations!!!
Yea, I know I've sort of been gone for awhile. Sorry. I've been spending the majority of my "forum time" over on Bimmerfest since I went to Munich and picked up a BMW in March. As for Einstein - just don't ask me for any mathematical calculations to back up or explain my little theory and I'll be ok. b-)

·
Registered
940 Posts
seeing the same watch as yours as bigger on someone else's wrist :-s wait a minute i'll see :-( well i do feel that i see the watch a little bigger on someone else's but won't that be like if the other guys has smaller wrist than me :-s am confused now :-s

·
Registered
792 Posts
Ive noticed this too. I think we (WIS) convince ourselves that our watches are too small because we constantly compare exact sizes of cases and make ourselves think that a mm or 2 actually makes the watch too small . it's like the wheels on my truck , I have 33's and I need to get the front leveled to match the lift on the back , but I see other trucks that are stock and feel they are higher .

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I agree with the WPP theory. I can no longer judge a watch's size accurately by simply looking at my wrist. Just the other day I was disappointed that my Carlos Coste Chrono at 47mm wasn't as big as I hoped. Holy cow, not big enough??

I find that looking at a full length mirror and seeing the watch in context to my whole body gives a better impression of presence.

I also find that wrist shots that show the watch and 1" of wirst on either side don't help. I like the wrist shots that show the whole arm, or the hand in a pocket of jeans, or something like that to give the image scale and context.

I think we all think way too much about his stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts