WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been drooling over some of the pics here at WUS and thought to add a few of my own. I have an 8MP Canon S5 IS but haven't been able to crack the code on getting those spectacularly close shots.

No matter what setting I use, my camera refuses to focus in on the watch at anything closer than arms length. All I get is a blurry mess and not at all what I'm looking for.

Is there something I'm missing here? Do I need a different lens or do I just lack the knowledge necessary to get the shots...or both! ;-)

Thanks for all the help!

Deacon

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Look for a button on your camera with a flower. That will turn on the macro feature. Next, your camera may not be able to focus in macro mode if you use the zoom. And the more light the better - your photos will look less grainy. You may need a piece of tracing paper between the light source and the watch to limit glare. A tripod helps too unless your camera has good image stabilization. Use the timer on the tripod if you can, and if you shoot using your finger on the button press smoothly instead of a sudden push of the button. And of course - shoot a TON of photos because it's digital and doesn't waste film. Just delete the crappy ones.

Oh, just for fun - this was shot with the watch on my wrist and the camera held in my hand. I was standing in my bay window for the most light I could get.

I used a Canon G9 on full auto mode. You don't need an expensive camera with thousands of dollars of lenses. If I remember correctly, this one was shot free-hand with a pocket sized Nikon S600 Coolpix:

Oh yeah, we're in the Omega forum:

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses!

I clearly don't seem to have a handle on my macro function. I select it but it seems to make little difference. Gotta get out the manual and do a little reading.

Gives me a good place to start. Thanks again!

Deacon

·
Registered
86 Posts
I clearly don't seem to have a handle on my macro function. I select it but it seems to make little difference. Gotta get out the manual and do a little reading.
Alternatively, you can press the "MF" button on your S5 to activate Manual Focus. Rotate the adjustment dial counterclockwise until your watch is clearly in focus in the LCD viewfinder.

I can't remember if Canons will allow for manual focus in the fully automated mode, so switch your camera to "Av" (Aperture Priority) if necessary. Go with the narrowest aperture your camera is capable of (f8, I think?) to get more of the watch in focus. Lower it if you find that your shots are still too blurry.

Try photographing with a tripod, or with your camera resting on a surface, if possible. Use the 2-second timer to duck out of the way, so that we don't see your pretty face in a reflection. If you're taking hand-held shots, go into "machine gun" mode and shoot a bunch in sequence. One of those is bound to be steady enough!

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Practice! Shoot a million shots...3 things: Lighting, lighting, and lighting!

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Thanks for the responses!

Gives me a good place to start. Thanks again!

Deacon
I HIGHLY recommend a Lightbox. Search on Amazon for one. It will help out significantly... This is part of the link that was posted earlier.

Here is a pic I took in a Lightbox, with a 5Mp camera:

I did nothing fancy with the camera. Had it on a tripod, with the watch in the Lightbox, set the Camera's Macro on in auto mode, focused, and took several pics. Adjusted lights around the box and took some more. Easy, and looks good to me... ;)

·
Registered
380 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend a Lightbox. Search on Amazon for one.
-Or simply make one yourself; it is cheap, and does not take much more time than finding and ordering one on the 'net. Here's my favourite take on the subject.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well that all helped alot. I wanted to take my Seamaster flying and get some shots on the instrument panel, and now I can. Here's what I did around the house:

I wish I had kept some of my originals for comparison...you would have laughed!

Deacon

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Sweet! Experimenting is key. Harsh lighting = hmm ok. Soft/diffused lighting = :-!

Well that all helped alot. I wanted to take my Seamaster flying and get some shots on the instrument panel, and now I can. Here's what I did around the house:

I wish I had kept some of my originals for comparison...you would have laughed!

Deacon

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sweet! Experimenting is key. Harsh lighting = hmm ok. Soft/diffused lighting = :-!
LOL. Agreed. I was actually suprised how well it turned out just going over to my kitchen table.

In my previous attempts, the harshness of the lighting was not the issue, believe me! They looked like I took the pictures through my grandma's bifocals.

Thanks to your help this is a huge step forward. Lightbox next!

Deacon

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi!

we have the same camera. push the "flower" macro button for a few seconds until it says super macro. you'll be able to put the lens very very close to the watch then half-press to auto-focus. if you have trouble keeping the cam steady, try to use tripod. and then as they say, its all about the lights.

hope this helps. :-!

cheers!
daniel

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi!

we have the same camera. push the "flower" macro button for a few seconds until it says super macro. you'll be able to put the lens very very close to the watch then half-press to auto-focus. if you have trouble keeping the cam steady, try to use tripod. and then as they say, its all about the lights.

hope this helps. :-!

cheers!
daniel
Thanks! I guess SM doesn't work in Auto mode which was half my problem I think. I'm pretty new with anything other than point and shoot so I'm expanding my horizons as I go. My first attempts were truly horrifying!

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
The other thing you want to work on is angle. In the last shot I can make out your reflection in the crystal. Try shooting from different angles to correct this, rather than shooting the watch straight on. Varying the angle will also help with glare. As others have said , experiment! Good luck. Here's a pretty decent shot of my Orange Crush, as Alex has dubbed this P.O. combo:

;-) KAT

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The other thing you want to work on is angle. In the last shot I can make out your reflection in the crystal. Try shooting from different angles to correct this, rather than shooting the watch straight on. Varying the angle will also help with glare. As others have said , experiment! Good luck. Here's a pretty decent shot of my Orange Crush, as Alex has dubbed this P.O. combo:

;-) KAT
Thanks Kat. BTW, I grew up in Old Bridge and went to Rutgers. Sometimes I miss the old country.

Deacon

1 - 20 of 52 Posts