WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear WUSers,
I am wondering what your experiences are like with watches bought from sites such as jomashop and authentic watches. Is there any significant value difference when you try to flip it off at some stage (in good minty condition of course) compared to watches bought from AD? I am talking about a few years down the line when the warranty has expired anyway. Looking to buy my first Rollie 116234 but with the difference in price of almost 2k from the AD, I was thinking of going via the route of jomashop or authenticwatches..What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Julian.

·
Banned
200 Posts
I recommend that you read the reviews for AW.com. Given that, I would say AD, especially with a Rolex since there isn't much difference in price. However, there are dealers on this site that are reputable.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
AW and Jomashop are notorious for extremely bad after sales service, if needed. It sounds like they are a bunch of neanderthal thugs if you read the reviews on Yelp and other sites.

That being said, they do offer great prices and if you get the watch you order, and in fine working shape, I know several people that have purchased and been happy. Just hope that you get what you ordered because it sounds like once you have to start dealing with them on anything that goes wrong...out comes the talons.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually Australia's AD is selling it for ~9200AUD whereas places like AW.com sells it for 6900USD. The differences in price is so significant don't you think? That is why I ask this question..

·
Registered
15,860 Posts
I've no personal experience with those 2, but have purchased and resold with no problems from Prestigetime and Luxurybazaar (dunno if the discounts are similar to AW and Joma) . . . .

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Just buy your watch from a good gray site and screw AD's like common sense tells you.
And no, it won't affect re-sale as long as you have all the boxes and riffraff associated with the watch.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Actually Australia's AD is selling it for ~9200AUD whereas places like AW.com sells it for 6900USD. The differences in price is so significant don't you think? That is why I ask this question..
Keep in mind that you will pay import duties of around 10% to bring it into Australia. Add that to the FOREX adjusted grey market price of around 7300 and you are around the $8kAUD mark now. When I bought my Tudor from an Adelaide AD, I was able to negotiate over 10% off.

I'd say go have a word with your local AD, you may be surprised. Bringing in overseas watches is a nervous wait with a few potential hidden costs.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
davidsw is a great source for rolexes. jomashop, authentic watches, and ashford are all reputable grey market dealers, so you be getting authentic watches, but without the warranty card. well worth it when ADs, especially in australia, are all in some conspiracy to screw over everyone in that continent.

·
Premium Member
22,434 Posts
ADs, especially in australia, are all in some conspiracy to screw over everyone in that continent.
Yeah, Australian MSRPs seem absolutely ridiculous given today's exchange rates.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Keep in mind that you will pay import duties of around 10% to bring it into Australia. Add that to the FOREX adjusted grey market price of around 7300 and you are around the $8kAUD mark now. When I bought my Tudor from an Adelaide AD, I was able to negotiate over 10% off.

I'd say go have a word with your local AD, you may be surprised. Bringing in overseas watches is a nervous wait with a few potential hidden costs.
Hmm, you are right, I've just checked, a 10% import tax..That brings it up to around below 8k..Don't think there is a chance that I could possibly buy it for any cheaper at the AD though..Will need to have a think then..
Also keep in mind though, it is a Rolex, there is never any significant discounts for Rolexes anywhere around the world..Perhaps I should just buy it over at Malaysia when I head over there..

·
Registered
489 Posts
Like I said, I got about 13% on a Tudor and feel like my AD would work on Rolex as well.

I've found that Aussie ADs won't deal by email, so best to call or visit in person.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thanks for d advice, I did ask at the shop but the price was still above 9.1kAUD unfortunately :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Dear WUSers,
I am wondering what your experiences are like with watches bought from sites such as jomashop and authentic watches. Is there any significant value difference when you try to flip it off at some stage (in good minty condition of course) compared to watches bought from AD? I am talking about a few years down the line when the warranty has expired anyway. Looking to buy my first Rollie 116234 but with the difference in price of almost 2k from the AD, I was thinking of going via the route of jomashop or authenticwatches..What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Julian.
It will depend more on the watch brand and model than where you bought it from.

Certain Rolex Models (Sports models) will hold their value better than other models (Non Sports) and as long as you dont pay over the odd to begin with (This goes for any brand/model) then you shouldnt lose too much when you come to sell it.

You wont make a profit or if you do it wont be a massive one but you can hope to get back what you paid for it.

A Sub bought 8 years ago would be about £2.5k but you would pay about £5k now. If you sold it you would probably be able to get your £2.5k back but you may only get about £3k for it.

It depends how you sell it and how you have kept it in terms of service and other factors.

It may have cost you £1k in service fees by the time you sell it but if you dont service it you may get less for it.

I wouldnt overthink it though in terms of what ifs and buy it firstly because you want it/can afford it/will wear it.

No one knows what the future will hold.

·
Premium Member
34,686 Posts
AW and Jomashop are notorious for extremely bad after sales service, if needed. It sounds like they are a bunch of neanderthal thugs if you read the reviews on Yelp and other sites.

That being said, they do offer great prices and if you get the watch you order, and in fine working shape, I know several people that have purchased and been happy. Just hope that you get what you ordered because it sounds like once you have to start dealing with them on anything that goes wrong...out comes the talons.
Agree. Just part of the adventure, good or bad.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts