WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, been more than a year since I last posted. I found something and as I look some seem to be pretty accurate. What's good is that the admin seems to hear out every comments and tries to re evaluate. Have a look at this guys

https://www.watch-rankings.com/watch-rankings/

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm not entirely sure on the utility of things like this, particularly in terms of trying to give it objectivity.

Also, Richard Mille is given special recognition from amongst the most elite of all watchmakers. I suppose they certainly do stand out.....

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In their list richard mille is among the top watchmakers which I also think is true. There are alot of brands that can be confused in their 2-3-4 star category.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I'd like to clear out that in my own opinion, the list is not all accurate. But none of us can really make an accurate list. What I like is how much effort the guy puts to make a list, and everyone commenting, stating their disagreements are well entertained by the maker.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know, I think the creator also bases it on horological accomplishments. I was also wondering, based on his criteria, why Jacob & co is just on the 3 stars when I think it should make it on his 4 star. His reason was:

"

Yeah, Jacob & Co is a tough one. Astronomia is a one hit wonder for sure but overall, there doesn’t seem to be much substance behind their watches. It’s high-end fashion with precious stones before horology. Kinda similar to Cartier but Cartier does have a strong horological heritage besides the bling.

Sure they load up some of their watches with diamonds but that’s not the bulk of their pieces (just like Patek has some very expensive watches). If Jacob & Co only sold expensive watches above $10K or above $40K then they would be a 4 star or even a 5 star brand.

Honestly I’m 50/50 on Jacob & Co. Since you were right about so many other brands take another look at Jacob & Co with a fresh pair of eyes and let me know if you still feel strongly about them being moved up to 4 stars. Would you say they’re more like Cartier or Patek Phlippe?

Remember price is by far the largest factor in the ranking but not the only one. This is a Watch Ranking site that’s based on a number of criteria and not a price catalog."

I think he at least knows something. Maybe a fellow member here at WUS?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like this bit close to the top of the Ultra Luxury Watches:

"May not have the best resale value."

Fortunately I'll probably never know.
Lol. But he does have a point. I think only PP,AP,VC,Rolex seem to be the only brands capable of selling close to New/MSRP. So yeah.

·
Registered
20,994 Posts
Rankings are very subjective, and we could argue till the cows come home!!

Looking at this one a few of my favourites fall into the top category so can't be that far off my ranking ;))

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rankings are very subjective, and we could argue till the cows come home!!

Looking at this one a few of my favourites fall into the top category so can't be that far off my ranking ;))
Indeed, he is trying his best though =))

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is it good for ?
I don't know actually. He just seems to be really into that list. One thing I thought of just now is maybe, it can help people who are about to spend $20k on a rolex see that with that money he can get a Lange, AP, PP, VC or JLC there. I don't know.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Even when price is the big thumb on the scale, the list is ludicrous in so many instances. Perfect example, Corum. Take a look at their utterly tasteless Bubble collection (my "favorite" is the Elisabetta Fantone...really?) and tell me it belongs on a tier with Omega, Rolex, IWC, Bucherer, et al:

https://www.corum-watches.com/en/corum-bubble

·
Registered
174 Posts
Don't really understand the comments here, it's quite an objective site. It's called rankings, but it's actually categorizing based on price.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Even when price is the big thumb on the scale, the list is ludicrous in so many instances. Perfect example, Corum. Take a look at their utterly tasteless Bubble collection (my "favorite" is the Elisabetta Fantone...really?) and tell me it belongs on a tier with Omega, Rolex, IWC, Bucherer, et al:

https://www.corum-watches.com/en/corum-bubble
Checked Corum. I would take their Golden Bridge over any Rolex though.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts