WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a good friend with cerebral palsy who I would like to buy a watch for this holiday. He is ok, but walks uncertainly and falls occasionally which makes him understandably skittish about having a nice watch. Currently he has a Timex Expedition that is pretty beat. It is scratched fairly heavily, especially on the crystal.

First thoughts are to get him something with a sapphire crystal, and a hardened case? Budget is flexible, probably around or under 1K or so. I know Sinns are case hardened, but maybe beyond reach. Any other brands or watches that come to mind for my friend. Probably huge watches (>45mm) are out. Strap or bracelet does not matter, nor does automatic or quartz, although I personally love autos...but that is neither here nor there... ;-)

I would like any recommendations, and let's make price not a factor. I want to operate with the most information without limits.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I used to work for a man with said condition. Mentally, the guy was an incredible genius, but physically.....

Honestly, get the man a G shock. Maybe a higher end frogman or something. I understand you wanting to make him feel normal, but....

Also, consider watches with deployants or bracelets. I remember it was hard for my old boss to strap on his resin G.

Good luck,
Ethan

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
611 Posts
Damasko is right around your price range and has similar case hardening, sapphire crystal and supposedly durable movements. I've never had one, but they get great reviews and I have seriously considered pulling the trigger on one several times.

G's are also a good option, as Drop of a Hat mentioned. One of the JDM models comes on a bracelet people seem to really like. If I can think of the model number, I'll come back and add it here.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Dievas has some hardened cases and is almost in your price range. But maybe the play here is just to keep it simple with a Seiko Monster or something durable and affordable and replace as needed.

·
79 Posts
+1 for a Damasko. Probably a DA36. Hardened steel, sapphire, handsome dial, and within your price range.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I like the Damasko and Dievas offerings. I'll have to check out the Seiko's just to see... Not sure about the G-shock. Functionally they would be perfect, but they are a bit sporty in a style that I am not looking for. Ideally I want something that would look good with a shirt and tie, as well as jeans and a t-shirt.

This is all very good. Any other options out there? The Damasko and Dievas (and Sinn for that matter) are very German and tactical in appearance, with their sandblasted cases. That is a byproduct of the hardening process, I'm guessing.

Oh, and I'm also assuming AR coating on inside only? This can scratch on the outside, yes?

Anything else I'm missing?

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Sinn UX.
A quartz movement might suit him better than a mechanic one, plus they are much sturdier.
Also, it is a "real" watch, not one made out of plastic. For the average buyer ( non WIS) this might be a plus.
You mentioned his manual dexterity was not 100% good, so he might prefer the bracelet with deployment clasp.
If his manual dexterity is bad, then a flexible band might work.

·
79 Posts
I like the Damasko and Dievas offerings. I'll have to check out the Seiko's just to see... Not sure about the G-shock. Functionally they would be perfect, but they are a bit sporty in a style that I am not looking for. Ideally I want something that would look good with a shirt and tie, as well as jeans and a t-shirt.

This is all very good. Any other options out there? The Damasko and Dievas (and Sinn for that matter) are very German and tactical in appearance, with their sandblasted cases. That is a byproduct of the hardening process, I'm guessing.

Oh, and I'm also assuming AR coating on inside only? This can scratch on the outside, yes?

Anything else I'm missing?

I believe the DA36 has an AR coating on the outside as well as the inside, but if i'm wrong, and I am sure I will endure a storm of corrections :)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe the DA36 has an AR coating on the outside as well as the inside, but if i'm wrong, and I am sure I will endure a storm of corrections :)
You are correct. The DA36 has AR on both sides, but you can order it special with it only on the inside as option.

Thanks to all who have responded. I love all of the good information that everyone has here! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts