WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I am trying to learn more about mechanical pieces I am searching more and more online and finding a vast amount of sites, some with great information, some with not so great information and many with gaps in details. So I thought I would pop on here and ask for some help from the WISs in the crowd asking for recommendations on what are some good books for reference?

I am relatively green in my understanding of mechanical pieces in that I understand the basics of how they work and some of the main components but that is about it. I am looking for material that ideally serves as a 'Mechanical Watches for Dummies" and a couple of more refined, detailed works as well... perhaps something along the lines of WOSTEP material?? ;-) I am not really looking for any one brand specifically but rather to expand my understanding of mechanical pieces as a whole, what are these 456-some-odd pieces that make up these little machines on my wrist and what do they all do, etc.

As I jumped on the boards to run some searches before making this post I notice a good number of threads with frustration over new comers asking basic questions or advice of the community and thought instead of making a post about printed text books/reference material alone why not add digital text/reference material in the hopes that maybe there are enough solid suggestions and conversation brought about with my inquiry that it could serve as a point of reference to those with similar ambitions to myself in the future?

Again, I ran a couple of searches, dug through a couple of sub-forums and did some online searches for the material I am requesting here but the best I came across was random works with unknown value (to me), so I figured why not ask for the help of the WIS tribal counsel to get some of the more tried and true pieces of literature and maybe in the end keep myself from being one of the annoying posters.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I came across the below mentioned thread on WT forums and will make a trip to the library tomorrow to check out some of the recommendations. If there is anyone that can further comment on any of the works mentioned in the thread or as mentioned above suggest something else I would appreciate it.

The Watch : Gene Stone
Amazon.com: The Watch (9780810930933): Gene Stone: Books

Looks like a nice piece but is it a book to teach you about watches, or is it mainly geared toward the history of the 50 brands he picked out as his favorite?

The Watch Makers Repair Manual : Henry Fried
Amazon.com: The Watch Repairer's Manual (9780918845115): Henry B. Fried: Books

From all reviews I can find seems like an excellent reference point to soak up knowledge of movements, their components, the repair process and troubleshooting... but at $75 it isnt what I would consider light on the wallet... is there something close to this that wont kill my recently depleted watch fund? Starting off a new watch purchase in the negative isn't easy.

Above mentioned thread:
http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/35123.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts