WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother gave be an Invicta Diver/Chrono that he bought for himself and found he never wore. Quartz. It's barely used, and has sat in the retail box for about 4 years. The battery is long dead. The case/bezel bracelet have a gold finish. The case back says says Stainless Steel. I would not wear a gold watch of this sort. Just a little too flashy for me. But, with a brushed or bead blasted, more traditional, SS finish, it would be something I'd wear. Then I'd still have the gold accents on the face which would probably look out of place.

Is it possible to refinish the gold plating/finish or whatever the heck it is? Best scenario would be to see if I can send it out, spend a hundred or so on a new finish. I wonder if the face can be replaced?

Anyone have thoughts on whether this can be done? If so, is it even worth it? I'd not want to spend too much on an Invicta Quartz, but it also seems like a shame to have the watch just sitting there.

Any thoughts appreciated.
--Steve

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Refurbishing a watch of that sort doesn't make sense to me - cheaper to buy the one you want instead.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
If im not mistaken I think someone on here did exactly that removed some of the plating but I cant remember who:-S JMO I dont think it would be worth the trouble unless your doing it all yourself. save the money for something that you really want and you can use that watch as a beater on weekends doing house chores, working on your car etc just add a battery.........................................;-)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
My brother gave be an Invicta Diver/Chrono that he bought for himself and found he never wore. Quartz. It's barely used, and has sat in the retail box for about 4 years. The battery is long dead. The case/bezel bracelet have a gold finish. The case back says says Stainless Steel. I would not wear a gold watch of this sort. Just a little too flashy for me. But, with a brushed or bead blasted, more traditional, SS finish, it would be something I'd wear. Then I'd still have the gold accents on the face which would probably look out of place.

Is it possible to refinish the gold plating/finish or whatever the heck it is? Best scenario would be to see if I can send it out, spend a hundred or so on a new finish. I wonder if the face can be replaced?

Anyone have thoughts on whether this can be done? If so, is it even worth it? I'd not want to spend too much on an Invicta Quartz, but it also seems like a shame to have the watch just sitting there.

Any thoughts appreciated.
--Steve
Donate it charity for a silent auction item, take the tax write-off based on the MSRP...........that should enable you to buy an Omega! :-D

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. That's sort of what I was suspecting. Perhaps the silent auction thing might be a good idea? My wife is involved in a number of (read: way to many O| ) local philanthropic efforts and I feel like I'm at a silent auction once a month.

Thanks again.
--steve

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Let me give you the perspective from someone who's paid to have at least a dozen watches repaired and restored to working order.
Unless it's a Rolex, Omega, Vacheron or something of that caliber it's not worth it financially. It'll cost far more than the watch is worth.
If you like (say) a 1936 Bulova or you have your Grandfather's 1893 Elgin pocket watch, get ready to pay for it but you're doing it for love.
Restoring /altering a case and dial actually detracts from the value of the watch so it's a double waste of money.
Take jakisbck's advice. Buy a battery for $5, put it in, use the watch to time your morning boiled egg or something - or just give it away to someone who likes goldtone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts