WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are lots of things that watch companies will try and dish up to try and make you feel like you have something really special but in reality- it really doesn't matter. Here are a couple I can think of (and I have watches with a lot of this stuff)

Water resistance beyond a couple of hundred metres
helium escape valves
Longer power reserves
tachymeters
904l stainless steel
Don't get me wrong, some of these things can be nice to have but how useful are they really? what else is marketed as being important but in reality is not rally that useful.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
18,330 Posts
Mechanical movements of any type. I doubt I get hit with an EMP anytime soon...and if I do I will have bigger issues to worry with than my watch. I no longer own any points ignition vehicles lol

500M water resistance for the swimming pool

1 sec/year accuracy

A watch in general.....I have a phone

·
Premium Member
8,104 Posts
Lume reserve or strength I reckon Cam..
Bezel countdown or up?
( hopefully I'm on track mate)
Dave

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
Some watch related stuff I'm told I need are watches. I don't really need more than one. I don't really need a watch.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
I think a long PR can be great if you have a small collection - two or three watches. Otherwise, it's just a neat feature of limited utility.

Not a watch feature but a doodad watch folks tend to buy that seems to have almost zero utility: watch winders. I get it if you have a collection of perpetual calendars but otherwise, it just seems like a pointless gimmick. Are you really that lazy? Do you keep your car running 24/7 so it's ready to go the moment you need it?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think a long PR can be great if you have a small collection - two or three watches. Otherwise, it's just a neat feature of limited utility.

Not a watch feature but a doodad watch folks tend to buy that seems to have almost zero utility: watch winders. I get it if you have a collection of perpetual calendras but otherwise, it just seems like a pointless gimmick. Are you really that lazy? Do you keep your car running 24/7 so it's ready to go the moment you need it?
Yeah, I was going to say watch winders as well. Some people like them though. It looks cool I guess.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I agree with the power reserve thing. It seems like that's the #1 talking point of every watch review I watch anymore. "Oh this watch only has a 38 hour power reserve (ETA 2824 for example), that's crap. This watch with a 70 hour power reserve is so much better."

How long the power reserve in my watch lasts for has never once been an issue. I tend to wear mine for a while and then they sit in the box for a while. As long as it doesn't die on me for the ~7 hours it sits on my nightstand while I'm sleeping, I'm good to go.

And even if it dies, winding it up and setting the time is really trivial. Takes quite literally 2 minutes to do.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I have gone without watch winders and with. I like it better with. Yes.... setting them and winding them every time I want to wear them IS a "PITA." I want to grab and go. If I have to set them, I'm FAR less likely to wear them. Just me. Your mileage may vary.

I think of it NOT like leaving my car running, so it's "ready to go." I think of it like having a charged battery in my car. Otherwise, I'd argue (similarly to a couple of previous comments), "It only takes 2 minutes to jump start my car," which is absolutely true. But, I don't want to jump start my car every morning. I'd rather have a charged battery in it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have gone without watch winders and with. I like it better with. Yes.... setting them and winding them every time I want to wear them IS a "PITA." I want to grab and go. If I have to set them, I'm FAR less likely to wear them. Just me. Your mileage may vary.

I think of it NOT like leaving my car running, so it's "ready to go." I think of it like having a charged battery in my car. Otherwise, I'd argue (similarly to a couple of previous comments), "It only takes 2 minutes to jump start my car," which is absolutely true. But, I don't want to jump start my car every morning. I'd rather have a charged battery in it.
The winder also keeps the lube nicely distributed. I am firmly in the "grab-and-go" camp.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
The winder also keeps the lube nicely distributed.
I'd agree if the watch will be sitting for years, otherwise, [citation needed].

I'd also point out that the engine running analogy is much closer than that of a topped off battery. A topped off battery represents potential energy. A running engine - in a watch, in a car, in a chainsaw - is kinetic energy. Parts like gear teeth are bound to wear prematurely and springs are bound to lose some of their elasticity for the same reasons. Will the effect be dramatic? No. But it's more likely to increase wear on the watch and shorten the service interval rather than lengthening it via some sort of magical lube dispersion.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'd agree if the watch will be sitting for years, otherwise, [citation needed].

I'd also point out that the engine running analogy is much closer than that of a topped off battery. A topped off battery represents potential energy. A running engine - in a watch, in a car, in a chainsaw - is kinetic energy. Parts like gear teeth are bound to wear prematurely and springs are bound to lose some of their elasticity for the same reasons. Will the effect be dramatic? No. But it's more likely to increase wear on the watch andshorten the service interval rather than lengthening it via some sort of magical lube dispersion.
I respectfully disagree. If a watch is worn daily or at least often enough keep it functioning then it is the same as if on a winder. Yes, there will be some wear but that is the case whether on a winder or wearing consistently. For those of us with more than one or two watches, a winder makes good sense, IMHO.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You win this one. Congrats: everyone else go home.

I guess you could also have said, a Speedmaster. Maybe that's even more sacreligious?

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
I respectfully disagree. If a watch is worn daily or at least often enough keep it functioning then it is the same as if on a winder. Yes, there will be some wear but that is the case whether on a winder or wearing consistently. For those of us with more than one or two watches, a winder makes good sense, IMHO.
I realize I'm not likely to convince you and you're not likely to convince me but I'd say the opposite. Having more than two or three watches means you can lengthen service intervals by wearing them in rotation and keeping those not worn "dormant" in a watch box where there's zero wear and tear on the watch rather than in a winder where the opposite would likely be true.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I realize I'm not likely to convince you and you're not likely to convince me but I'd say the opposite. Having more than two or three watches means you can lengthen service intervals by wearing them in rotation and keeping those not worn "dormant" in a watch box where there's zero wear and tear on the watch rather than in a winder where the opposite would likely be true.
To each his own. As a final note, I have used winders for years and have never been apprised of any unusual wear when having a watch serviced and, yes, I am anal enough to ask.😉

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Reserve power meter. Vance.

Reactions: Rocket1991
1 - 20 of 101 Posts