WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for a watchmaker who can and does service vintage watches and is near you?

There are many independent watchmakers who eschew any affiliation, but failing a personal recommendation, the best way to start is to contact watchmakers who are members of trade or professional associations. There’s no guarantee that you’ll find the right person on your first attempt, but it’s a start.

Always contact them first and explain what you have and ask them if they can repair that make. With vintage watches, many parts are now restricted by limited supply and, more recently, by the restrictive trade practices of most of the modern watch trade, so if your watch needs parts, they may need to hunt around to source NOS or used parts in acceptable condition. Not all watchmakers are willing to devote the time to this that it takes. Traditionally, watchmakers would have made new ones themselves, but this aspect of the trade has largely died out, due to rising costs.

In the USA, you can visit this site: National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors (NAWCC) who maintain this search facility:
Search

Also is the USA is American Watchmaker-Clockmakers Institute (AWCI), who have this search feature to help you:

In the United Kingdom, the British Horological Institute (BHI) has this search engine to help you:
How to find the right professional : British Horological Institute

The Watch and Clockmakers of Australia (WCA) have this:
WCA Australia - Need a Repair? | WCA

Watchmakers Institute of New Zealand have a search feature, too: Jewellers & Watchmakers of New Zealand

Sadly, Canada is one country that doesn't have a watchmaker's association.

I/we hope that the Forum finds this resource of use, especially newcomers struggling to find help maintaining their watches.

I/we invite contributions, particularly from and for those Forum members from non-English speaking countries.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,141 Posts
Re: How to find a watchmaker near you

Thanks, Habitant, for the extensive work. This is very useful information so I will sticky this. Members are free to add to it (information for other countries, additional names of watchmakers they have good experience with). At the same time, I would like to make it clear that this is for information only: Watchuseek does not check up on claims regarding quality of service or similar issues.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
893 Posts
Re: How to find a watchmaker near you

Another watchmakers body that maybe helpful to those in the U.K is The British Watch and Clock Makers Guild.
Their website has links to members websites but not all independant watchmakers run their own websites.
However if you contact them they may be able to direct you towards someone local to you.
My local watchmaker here in Swindon ,Wiltshire is a member for example but does not have a company website but does have a Facebook page which helps potential customers gauge feedback etc.
Demonfinder

British Watch and Clock Makers Guild

·
Registered
791 Posts
These links were posted by Pithy on the Watchmaking Forum – F6 – recently, so I'm adding them to this sticky to keep the information easily accessible and centrally located.

Belgium (http://www.anhr-nvuh/ this link dnf)

Czech Republic Sdru¾ení klenotníkù a hodináøù ÈR

Denmark Guldsmedebranchen i danmark
The link to Belgium is missing it's .be
correct link is
ANHR-NVUH - Ontvangst

But even then it is full of dead links, spelling mistakes and beside a list of generic watchmakers websites (who I assume sponsor ) there are no watch making shops listed.
Not at first glance anyway, did not have the time to go through the complete website, maybe the french version is better

D

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd suggest that you might get more response by having this moved (ask moderator) to the main forum – any information gained could then be posted here, on this resource thread.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Sorry, moved to WRUW. SDA

PS - of course there's Mr 'Chang' on Portobello Road ( I have forgotten his exact booth but everyone knows him ...) who's a well known vintage watchmaker used by many of the major vintage collectors/sellers in London, SDA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Japan: The Japan Clock &Watch association is a national professional organization with an English page. JAPAN CLOCK & WATCH ASSOCIATION (JCWA) They seem to be more corporate oriented, linked to Seiko and Citizen, have government registration etc.

The Fukuoka Watchmaker's Association seems to be Japan's biggest private watchmaker's group. fwa.jp is their website (Japanese only, of course, but I've got some ideas about that...). Lots of old men in crowded shops, as is the craftsman's way in Japan.
Shop Search (Map) ??????????? | ????????

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, I would like to hear from members in Vietnam, Thailand and the Philippines. The problem being the number of watches and the cost. Repairs won't be economical for most of my sub $ 50 pieces, I'm afraid. But a thorough c l e a n i n g... in Vietnam, the average salary would be about $ 200. A good guy might make more. A giften musician earns as professor only 3,000.000 VND or about $ 130 at a government university.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd really like to find a few repairers in the Philippines, India and Hong Kong. I have local centres that I use however I have a number of older pieces that I'd like to use once in a while but right now are in need of a service for that to be practical. If I look at local options only the cost alone means those pieces will end up being sold off for parts, or not working which is a shame. I'd like to find somewhere that I can send a few pieces to now and again to be serviced and for that to be economical.

·
Registered
138 Posts
MELBOURNE- recommend Watch in time. Did a great job in Servicing my watch recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hello,

The NAWCC link not working?

I am hopping for some recommendation for vintage watch expert both for higher end and lower end. like valjoux 72c and time only lower end watches.

Ideal is southern California in orange county, but open to good one that can be trusted. deal with lots of repairs.

any input will be appreciated.

Thank you,

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am in the Los Angeles area. Did you ever find a watchmaker you trust? Could you let me know? Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts