WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm recently sent my angeleus chronodato for repair at what I thought was a reputable watchmaker. I got them back today and on the angeleus it feels like it is very tough to wind and the bottom stopwatch pusher does not work. As well as on both the watches it looks like they just Pryed open the watch not caring about keeping it in good condition. I will try to show this in pictures. Is this normal for vintage watch repair?? Also anyone have any suggestions of where to send them to have then fixed as in I will not deal with this watchmaker again.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,447 Posts
Very sad
The Angelus is especially a lovely and valuable piece
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,819 Posts
Looks pretty butchered, but have you any pics of the condition before you sent it to him?

Have you not had it out with him about what he's caused and not fixed and at least got a full/partial refund ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I unfortunately didn't document it beforehand but I assume that since the slash looks very similar on both watches it was not there before. And I'm going to call about a full refund but I wanted to see my options first.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,562 Posts
Sorry to see you have had a bad service, if you dont trust taking it back to the guy to have it fixed then post where you live and others might suggest someone to take it to. Dont know if anything can be done with the case back maybe a watch guy can tidy it up a bit better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I originally got it fixed in New Jersey ac I can get the watch to the Los Angeles area as well if there are more superior places there as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,315 Posts
You're rather cavalier about sending off thousand dollar watches for repair without (apparently) confirming the abilities of the person you send them to, or documenting their previous condition. I have a very hard time believing that anyone who legitimately calls themselves a "watchmaker" would do this kind of damage on a rare and valuable watch; what "credentials" did this individual present as to their ability to handle working on such esoteric pieces?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bright them to my locAl jewelry store which my family has been using for years and they send it out to someone they use so i figured I could trust them. I should have taken pictures beforehand I don't know what I was thinking.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,315 Posts
I bright them to my locAl jewelry store which my family has been using for years and they send it out to someone they use so i figured I could trust them.
That explains a lot, unfortunately. Although I can't say much for the jewelry store either if they didn't bother to document any visible flaws before sending it out or when receiving it back. Find a qualified watchmaker, instruct them to fully service the watches and document the process (especially any servicing deficiencies) and present the bill to the jewelry store. At this point, I'd expect that to run a good $500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They charged me $415 for the angeleus, including a new crystal. I have a one year repair warranty but I don't want to deal with this watchmaker again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
I'll PM yo umy watchmaker. Here is a before and after of a watch he did for me. Don't quote me because I am not able to price his work for him but he did this watch for me for under $200.

Before:



After:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,447 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
This is sad, but unfortunately quite often the case. I have had a number of watches serviced in the L.A. area and have yet to find anyone quite up to the job. It seems that no matter who I use, I have to piece back on average three times to even begin to put them right.
Sometimes, I eventually give up, and they go back in the watch box either still broken, or even worse than they were before the repairs or service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,037 Posts
Hi there,

this desolate service scene will not turn to the better on short term. People simply can't imagine why a watch they pulled off ebay or a fleamarket for $10 may require care for $100. And if ever someone wastes this amount, hi can be sure that he will never get $110 back. This drives watches into the hands of bloody dilettants. And as this example shows, even serious jewellers follow the urgent demand for cheap "service".

Clear what will happen on long term: When 90% of all old watches are completely ruined, the remaining 10% will become expensive enough to justify professional servicing. And if the collectors interest is decreasing meanwhile, we simply wait until 99% are crushed - it will not last long to do 9% more after the first 90%.

I didn't want to wait, and wasted lots of time to describe and illustrate this vandalism, and its consequences in rigid figures. But my personal NSA, recording every visitor of the according pages, indicated that this is not worth the effort, and so I have no clue how to change things to the better.

Another distressing appearance: I recently described a more than 240 years old n.o.s. verge watch in another forum. Before being auctioned it got a service to make sure that decomposed lubricants didn't harm the bearings. And when I proudly presented the performance of this old machine, better than the average of old precision lever watches, the first response was "my watches need no accuracy - I just pin them into my display case". No question what will happen to these watches, when they ever fail to move their hands.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
They charged me $415 for the angeleus, including a new crystal. I have a one year repair warranty but I don't want to deal with this watchmaker again.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So that means that the WM charged the store $200-250 . That very cheap for a triple calendar chronograph , considering a watch like that takes 4-5 hours without any major repairs. I don't think the WM they used understands how involved these complications can be .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
So that means that the WM charged the store $200-250 . That very cheap for a triple calendar chronograph , considering a watch like that takes 4-5 hours without any major repairs. I don't think the WM they used understands how involved these complications can be .
Agreed, would take me at least 5 hours to service that watch!, and would cost more than that...

Whatever you decide to do with the watch, I have a pretty good selection of parts for that caliber if you need them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Your Angelus is an absolutely exquisit time piece, to see those picture is ....horror.
Your quest is to find a competent watchmaker/horologist and that damage can be reversed, so that you'll enjoy the watch for years to come.
It is hard to accept that anyone in the trade would be part of an act of vandalism like that, and that they did not even bother to address the issue when the watches were returned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Hi there,

this desolate service scene will not turn to the better on short term. People simply can't imagine why a watch they pulled off ebay or a fleamarket for $10 may require care for $100. And if ever someone wastes this amount, hi can be sure that he will never get $110 back. This drives watches into the hands of bloody dilettants. And as this example shows, even serious jewellers follow the urgent demand for cheap "service".

Clear what will happen on long term: When 90% of all old watches are completely ruined, the remaining 10% will become expensive enough to justify professional servicing. And if the collectors interest is decreasing meanwhile, we simply wait until 99% are crushed - it will not last long to do 9% more after the first 90%.

I didn't want to wait, and wasted lots of time to describe and illustrate this vandalism, and its consequences in rigid figures. But my personal NSA, recording every visitor of the according pages, indicated that this is not worth the effort, and so I have no clue how to change things to the better.

Another distressing appearance: I recently described a more than 240 years old n.o.s. verge watch in another forum. Before being auctioned it got a service to make sure that decomposed lubricants didn't harm the bearings. And when I proudly presented the performance of this old machine, better than the average of old precision lever watches, the first response was "my watches need no accuracy - I just pin them into my display case". No question what will happen to these watches, when they ever fail to move their hands.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
A top-quality rant if ever there was one.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top