WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newish collector (4 years). I own 7 watches, but well on my way to many more. Once I passed 4 I can’t seem to settle in on a consistent rotation for wearing them. It seems like I wear the newest one for about a month then put it away and wear the older ones based on wardrobe or how I feel that day. Could be just one day or a whole month. I consider myself a collector and don’t plan on selling anything.

My question is how does everyone rotate their watches? Especially the people that have 10,20,100! Do you take them out and wind them? Sorry in advance if these questions have been asked before.

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
I have 27 in rotation currently and always wear the watch that'll put the biggest smile on my face that day. No scheme or rules, I'm not letting my possessions dictate what I should or shouldn't do.

Some of them only get worn a few times in a year(!), but I don't see any problems with that. Most of them have standard Eta/Sellita or cheaper Seiko/Miyota movements anyways. They might or might not get serviced one day, but as long as they work when I get them out of the box, I don't spend much thought on that.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I have a feeling what other people do is based on their lifestyle, job, collection, value, mood, clothing, destination, a need to accessorize and maybe even time of day. I find it hard to believe that anyone's rotational system would work for anyone else. In other words, wear what you want, with whatever you choose, whenever you choose to do so for whatever works for you, your day, your lifestyle, etc. In short: You do you

P.S. If you find you need help doing you then I suggest counseling from a licensed therapist as opposed to mostly weird and odd random watch people (that includes me)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I normally wear them 2 days at a time. About 15 in all. Not all of them get worn every month but I do wind them fully once a month over a weekend.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have six, with a seventh on the way. Three are automatics, two are hand-wound, one is solar (Eco-Drive), and the incoming is quartz. I tend to rotate between the automatics and the Eco-Drive as the mood strikes. Right now I'm mostly rotating between two of the autos and the Eco-Drive. I'll probably wear the quartz when it arrives a few times, but it's mostly going to be a travel/beater watch.

Reactions: Summydad1

·
Premium Member
15,285 Posts
I am a newish collector (4 years). I own 7 watches, but well on my way to many more. Once I passed 4 I can’t seem to settle in on a consistent rotation for wearing them. It seems like I wear the newest one for about a month then put it away and wear the older ones based on wardrobe or how I feel that day. Could be just one day or a whole month. I consider myself a collector and don’t plan on selling anything.

My question is how does everyone rotate their watches? Especially the people that have 10,20,100! Do you take them out and wind them? Sorry in advance if these questions have been asked before.
I have +100 Watches, i just wear them when the time takes me - i wind a lot of watches daily :)

·
Premium Member
74,424 Posts
I change my watch daily and stick to a firm rota whether the watch is new or an existing one in my collection. My rota is set out in such a way as I wear one of my Rolex on alternate days and sometimes a newbie shoves one of these out of the way for a few days but existing non Rolex always get their turn.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I have 27 in rotation currently and always wear the watch that'll put the biggest smile on my face that day. No scheme or rules, I'm not letting my possessions dictate what I should or shouldn't do.

Some of them only get worn a few times in a year(!), but I don't see any problems with that. Most of them have standard Eta/Sellita or cheaper Seiko/Miyota movements anyways. They might or might not get serviced one day, but as long as they work when I get them out of the box, I don't spend much thought on that.
⬆ Pretty much this.

To answer the second part of the question; I have over 100 watches. I only wind the one(s) I'm intending to wear that day; the others can have a rest (well, not the quartz obviously)

·
Registered
676 Posts

You will receive many different views on this. I have a handful of watches and they fulfill roles. Daily, dress, diver, etc. I don’t like having watches just sit around so if I don’t wear it as intended it gets sold off to someone who will hopefully use it. Having said that, my daily driver which is a Speedmaster gets the bulk of my wrist time. The others wait for their turn as I engage in activities that require their attributes. That’s just the way it is. This formula has kept me from purchasing watches I really don’t need, and has kept me wearing the watches I own.

PS I noticed you have only been a member for a month. You may know this already, but Internet forums are often dumpster fires filled with people who find fault with everything. Ignore them. There are no dumb questions. Enjoy your time here.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have ten watches. One for sale because it never gets wrist time. The other nine get worn when I feel like wearing that watch, save for my thrasher ranch work watch. If I am doing anything with fences, engines, horses or other ranch related work, I wear my thrasher.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Create your own system. It's not hard. Just wear your watches. It works out.
I have a feeling what other people do is based on their lifestyle, job, collection, value, mood, clothing, destination, a need to accessorize and maybe even time of day. I find it hard to believe that anyone's rotational system would work for anyone else. In other words, wear what you want, with whatever you choose, whenever you choose to do so for whatever works for you, your day, your lifestyle, etc. In short: You do you

P.S. If you find you need help doing you then I suggest counseling from a licensed therapist as opposed to mostly weird and odd random watch people (that includes me)
I was just asking as a curiosity how other people do things. Mainly to open a dialogue and participate. I have my system and wasn’t looking for “what should I do?” I am always interested in how people do things differently than I do them.

I choose my watch for the day based on work, play, and wardrobe if I’m not working. Sometimes I just choose whatever watch is already wound if I’m in a big hurry to get out of the house. No rhyme or reason past that. They all make me happy in different ways.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
I had to go down to 7 watches for a quality rotation. I wear digital or quartz at work and I switch to a Swiss auto after work and on weekends.

The no wrist time was a problem as I had nice watches that did not get worn. It felt more like a liability than a hobby and certainly not an investment.

I enjoy the hobby much more with less watches. I still look at dozens of watches a day and I have more $ to buy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i wear all 13 (for now) of my watches and i use this to keep my rotation tight - thumb tacks. in my watchbox, i place a thumb tack next to each watch. when i wear the watch, i remove the thumb tack. after it's been removed, i can't wear that watch again until the rotation of each watch is complete. is this a perfect way to handle it? nope. do i cheat a little sometimes? yep. but i don't want to keep a watch that i don't wear and this keeps my rotation fresh. if a watch falls out of rotation, it's time to move it. just my take. 😉

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I have four and wear each one at least weekly, matched to the clothes I'm wearing on any given day.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts