WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
I'm down to about 80+ watches from about 150 watches ranging from a TT Subby to a Citizen tough to San Martins in terms of value. I love what I love. I'm fastidious about selecting my boots from about 100 pairs first, watch second based on the color of my boots and then build my outfit around them. This system allows me to have seasonal watches, where I tend to wear light-colored, mostly non-black dials throughout Spring and Summer with the bracelet or light-colored straps, and darker dials and straps during Fall and Winter.

I don't wind them unless I'm wearing them. Never a problem from that. I have watches that I've owned for 20 years or more, and they run just fine when wound, and have never needed servicing from lack of use.

Just my experience, of course.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Nobody ask when the watch wearing day starts. When you switch out the watch. Here lately, I switch my watch out around 4pm. Wearing it to bed and the next day until 4. Switching it out and repeat.
I do the same. At 3AM, I need a watch with tubes or strong, long-lasting lume to help my 0ver 70 y.o. eyes see if I'm running late for my 3AM old man's pee.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Really no methodology for me.
What I select is almost always “Mood based”
Beware, the more watches you have the harder it can be to pick one from another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Summydad1

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
I prefer having only a handful of watches that each get decent wrist time than a large number where some are almost never worn. Especially watches with some monetary value. I don't mind so much if a cheap beater seldom gets worn.

I have 4 at the moment. Not sure I see myself having more than 6. Don't have a set rotation. Pick the watch based on what I'm wearing (dressier watches with dressier attire) or what I'm doing (e.g. quartz/beater when ruggedness is needed).

·
Registered
Lord Matic Connoisseur
533 Posts
Personally, I'm content at a three-watch rotation. It took about four years to reach the contentment and self-understanding needed to pull off a small rotation. Three's enough, for me, to cover all bases. It doesn't mean I'm not indulging in forums and fawning over potential purchases, though.

To illustrate: LIW Islander ISL-21 for sporty-ish activities, G-Shock DW5600E for the rigours of work, and Seiko Lord Matic for all other recreational activities.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I am currently limiting myself to six.
One I wear mon-fri for work, and then weekends and holidays I pick from the other five based on where I'm going, what I'm doing, and sometimes which one I haven't worn in a while.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My collection size has varied up and down, from 3 to 10+ at a time. I love hunting for watches. I love buying them. I love wearing them. But I find it challenging to own too many of them for this very reason. I want to wear them all and find it challenging to rotate through a larger number of watches in a way that I find satisfying.

So I try to keep it between 5-7, wearing whatever strikes me at the moment and swapping watches a few times a day. And of course wearing certain watches for certain occasions, wardrobe choices or activities.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have 7 and try to keep them all in rotation wearing each once a week. I keep them in a watch box when I'm not wearing them. What I wear is in part based on trying to keep everything in rotation, but also on what I feel like and what I think goes best with what I'm wearing (or sometimes where I'm going). I don't see my collection increasing too much over what I have now largely because if I haven't worn something in more than a week, I feel like I'm somehow neglecting it or not wearing it enough.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I wear what works for me on the day ie what work im doing etc - wouldnt wear my speedmaster washing the car some of my watches rarely get used, but whe they come out to play it feels more special.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Currently there are six watches in my "collection" and I always wear the one I feel like at the moment. It is always changed when I want to wear something else and since there is no fixed rhythm, it may well be that the change already happens after one day or even after several months.

Reactions: Summydad1

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I am currently limiting myself to six.
One I wear mon-fri for work, and then weekends and holidays I pick from the other five based on where I'm going, what I'm doing, and sometimes which one I haven't worn in a while.
I'm curious...which do you wear to work? You have multiple strong contenders.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Fifteen watches, all are worn and wound only when worn. I don’t consider myself a collector, merely an enthusiast with a penchant for having some interesting adornments for my wrist. I don’t know why but rotations have recently started to get longer, up to a week or ten days. I like dress watches but have no opportunities to ‘dress’ so they’re worn as dailies but admittedly not with the same frequency as others. I have a couple of beaters for those few activities which may expose a watch to damage.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have a 12 watch collection. I try to have my watches fill specific roles so that none get neglected. It has worked thus far but I don't think that it would work with a collection any larger than what I have now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A few of my watches are retired or semi-retired, so I basically never wear them, which simplifies things.

Until recently, that left only 4 or 5 watches that get worn, of which three have special purposes: beater, dress, chronograph. That leaves only one watch to wear almost every day, or a couple that split time according to weekday/weekend, whether I'm wearing brown or black shoes, or some other arbitrarily rationalized principle.

Within the past year, I have put together eight new watches, half set up to wear with brown, the other half with black. Each week, I pick out a brown and a black to wear that week, and let my shoes decide the watch from there.

That's just an arbitrary habit, which I wouldn't hesitate to change if I get bored.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts