WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I will be going to Hong Kong, Singapore, and Angkor Wat in about a month.

Just got an omega SMPc and hate the thought of leaving it at home for longer than I've had it so far. I also don't want to lose it/have it stolen.

Anyone have safety tips that one doesn't realize until things happen?

I'm thinking like the forum advice about keeping your watch safe when passing through metal detectors (keep your watch on, or put it on your shoe).

Are hotel safes a good idea? Is it imperative not to wear expensive watches out to bars in those cities?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I've been travelling quite often lately, always wore my watch, no problem whatsoever ... I also have a couple of other watches rolled up in a watch bag inside my suitcase, no problem with them as well

regarding Hong Kong, Singapore, Angkor Wat,
will you be staying at a hotel? does the room have a safe?
perhaps you can put the watch in the safe while you gauge for yourself how comfortable you are wearing the Omega outside

I take it you havent been to those places, and my guess is you'll most likely see more people wearing nice watches in those places than where you're coming from ... unless you're going to the remote villages

I've been to Hong Kong, walked around at night bar hopping wearing a Rolex, no problem at all ... mind you, you still need to exercise common sense and dont put yourself in a bad situation

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Insurance on your watch is great.....Nice to know, if they kill you and take your watch....The beneficiary gets a new watch.
If you are the type with the ability to protect your property and self, and feel safe in your ability, wear it.
If not I suggest a $10.00 ugly watch.

Reactions: Watchbreath

·
Registered
483 Posts
The places you are going to are safer than your average American city, if that helps you at all.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Couldn't you try to make the watch look cheap? As in replace the metal bands with rubber bands.

Also don't "flash" anything expensive to people that look shady. Also if you are going there on vacation don't wear some Italian made suit that is just tailored for you. It's just making yourself a target. General common sense works best.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Well,never been to Ankor Wat,but I've been to HK and Sg numerous times,and never had problems whether I'm wearing Gshock or Seiko or Rolex or Panerai

Earlier this month I went to Bangkok wearing my Pam 123,and went to the night market and other places,no problem at all

·
Registered
13 Posts
South-east asia is very safe and you won't risk anything over there.
Even more in HK or Singapore where people wear great watches at every corner of the street.

Don't worry for you watch, nobody will notice, or care about it.

Just enjoy your time with your watch in such great places !

Personnaly I'm always travelling with my GMT2 and I'm always happy to wear it :)

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
When visiting shady places if I choose to wear an Omega, Rolex, etc usually I throw a NATA strap on and nobody ever even notices. But usually I got for a Seiko monster , Suunto or G Shock for those situations.'

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I always take my cheapest watches going to the Caribbean but you worrying about Hong Kong is like "I'm going to ride the subway in NYC, should I leave my watch at home ?" , sure you might even get stabbed on the train, but after taking into account the chance of this happening, to really worry about things like this is insane.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
If it's NYC subway,I'll be more worry if I wear air Jordan on my feet than wearing a Rolex on my wrist...was once almost got in trouble when some dude wanted to take my Jordan XI by force,until they realized it's too small for their leg when I left some sole marks on their pants....

·
Registered
447 Posts
If it's NYC subway,I'll be more worry if I wear air Jordan on my feet than wearing a Rolex on my wrist...was once almost got in trouble when some dude wanted to take my Jordan XI by force,until they realized it's too small for their leg when I left some sole marks on their pants....
Shoes? Really?

Then again someone misjudged my camera weight and failed to yank it off of me. (It was a Cannon 60D with almost every addon.)

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Yup,shoes,they cost huge $$$ for larger size (9+),but I was wearing sz 8 back then (got it around 7-8 years before,but rarely wear them)

And to keep it watch forum topic,I was wearing either Rolex 16570 polar or ana-digi Tag F1 that actually cost more than the sneakers...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Singapore and Hong Kong are one of the safest place on Earth (especially Singapore), both have an affluent middle class that consumes (among other things) luxury watches, with major streets dedicated to high end watch boutiques. You will have a higher chance of getting your watch stolen where you live now than either of these two places. Besides what's the point of buying a watch if you leave it at home all the time?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Singapore and Hong Kong are one of the safest place on Earth (especially Singapore), both have an affluent middle class that consumes (among other things) luxury watches, with major streets dedicated to high end watch boutiques. You will have a higher chance of getting your watch stolen where you live now than either of these two places. Besides what's the point of buying a watch if you leave it at home all the time?
I was about to say...Most Asian cities/countries are extremely safe. You're more likely get things stolen from you on the streets of Anywhere, USA, or Europe for that matter. Just mind your business and enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I've been to all three of those places and never once felt unsafe, there's also a lot of expensive watches on wrists in HK and SIN, at least more than I ever see at home. Angkor Wat was also very safe, and the only thing I'd worry about there would be that most of the temples have extremely steep uneven stairs to climb, so I'd be more worried about gouging the watch.

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
With all the threads about home break-ins recently, I'd say it's many times safer on your wrist in a Southeast Asian country than it is at home alone in its watch box.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts