WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was gifted this Maurice Lacroix years ago. It came on an extremely shiny bracelet, which was enough for me to never really wear it. Just put it on a leather strap. The watch sizes out at 40mm w/ a 20mm lug width. (can't find the lug to lug distance, but measures roughly to 50mm). My wrist is roughly 7 in circumference, perhaps wrist width is more pertinent here which is roughly 60mm.

Question: does this guy look a little too big for me? Obviously things look slightly larger in pictures. I think if I had my way it'd be a 38mm, but a lot of watches I like sadly don't come in 38mm. (makes me worried for the C Ward c60 40m white dial I just ordered)

What do you guys think? Lugs too long, face too big for my wrist? I know it's personal preference, but curious what you all think.

Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Grey

Watch Hand Arm Analog watch Gesture
Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Grey

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looks perfectly fine to me. I've got a 6.5" wrist and 40mm is the comfortable upper end for me (lug-to-lug depending), so 7" should be no problem.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The watch looks good on your wrist and fits well.

The strap looks a little bit to long in your last photo: the end of it is visible on top of our wrist.

best regards
JuNi

·
Registered
39,207 Posts
No you are all good there, no lug overhang, looks fine on you.

Reactions: FTA

·
Registered
471 Posts
Lug to lug fits well. Watch face is on the larger size but not too big for some. Depends on what you prefer. If you look down and it looks big, it’s big. I prefer smaller when it’s all watch face.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I am commonly complaining on WUS about kids these days wearing too-big watches and needing to stay off my lawn.

But the 40mm watch looks fine on your 7 inch wrist.

I agree that 38mm is probably a better size for you for a dress watch on a strap. 40mm is probably ok for a dive watch or other sports watch.

The more you wear a larger watch, the more it will normalize for you, and you may be tempted to wear even larger watches. The folks on WUS will even encourage you to wear a too-big watch. You need to remember how you feel right now and guard against this. Wearing too large a watch makes a man look like a clown, regardless of what other anonymous clowns on the internet tell him is fashionable, or what watch salespeople tell him while trying to earn a commission. Watches are like shoes in that it's fine to admire ones that aren't your size, but you don't want to wear them; they make plenty of watches in your actual size.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am commonly complaining on WUS about kids these days wearing too-big watches and needing to stay off my lawn.

But the 40mm watch looks fine on your 7 inch wrist.

I agree that 38mm is probably a better size for you for a dress watch on a strap. 40mm is probably ok for a dive watch or other sports watch.

The more you wear a larger watch, the more it will normalize for you, and you may be tempted to wear even larger watches. The folks on WUS will even encourage you to wear a too-big watch. You need to remember how you feel right now and guard against this. Wearing too large a watch makes a man look like a clown, regardless of what other anonymous clowns on the internet tell him is fashionable, or what watch salespeople tell him while trying to earn a commission. Watches are like shoes in that it's fine to admire ones that aren't your size, but you don't want to wear them; they make plenty of watches in your actual size.
Ha! I suppose everyone has their preference, but for me 37/38 is probably my ideal size and I have to let a 40mm watch like this normalize on my wrist. Nothing above that for me, but to each their own!

·
Registered
98 Posts
The dial takes up a lot of space, but it has sub dials and a date window to fill it in. IMO the lugs can be subjective, but as long as it's not past 50mm for this style, I think it works.

The watch looks nice. It's up to you if you think it's a keeper.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
It actually looks fine, especially since its a chronograph. It also looks a bit dressier than some chronos, and that can sometimes present as a large thin crust pizza on the wrist. I give it a thumbs up, tho.....

1 - 20 of 59 Posts