WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ah, my beloved Citizen 8700. It is my nice watch, my sports watch, my special occasion watch, my everyday watch. It is, after all my only watch.

After daily wear for about 5 years, the original strap watch broke near the lugs. I'm open to suggestions for a replacement. Since my wife had an extra strap of the right size (a nice 20mm Spiedel calfskin) that I put on, so I can keep wearing the watch.

I find that the skinny band doesn't look quite right on the thickish case (see following two pictures).

The original straps was not my favorite. It was a thick alligator embossed leather with a nice butterfly clasp. The butterfly clasp is what sold me on the leather band. Now, I'm interested in something different.

I thought about a black silicone oyster band, but the ones that I have seen mostly molded to look like oyster bands, but are actually molded strips of silicon, not removable links. I'm afraid these will be hot.

So, in general, I'm open to nicer black straps, but I'd like to avoid leather.

I hope to reuse the Citizen butterfly clasp.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So, in general, I'm open to nicer black straps, but I'd like to avoid leather. I hope to reuse the Citizen butterfly clasp.
That's a nice lookin' 8700; it also looks like it's been through quite a lot :-d

I too have had a Citizen and the leather wore through quite quickly, at which point I switched my strap to something that I found to be much more durable. Have you ever considered something like this?

20mm Rubber Diver Strap Maratac Fit OMEGA Planet Ocean | eBay

Personally, I think that these types of straps feel pretty comfortable against the wrist, is able to resist sweat, don't wear out as easily, and with the textured weave, I think the strap gives a nice sporty look to the 8700. The white stitching on the strap also complements the white accents on the watch face quite nicely.

Here's a link to the same strap (w/ orange stitching), modeled on a Seamaster, so you can sort see how it would look on your 8700:

20mm Rubber Diver Strap Maratac for OMEGA Black Orange | eBay

Anyway, have fun choosing. Remember to post some more pics if & when you get a new strap :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Juan. I saw the orange stitching one before and while I like it well enough, I was afraid it would not breath. Do you think it might be hot and uncomfortable on a hot day?

I take pretty good care of my Citizen, and while I am due to polish it, the pictures are from my cell phone and do not do the watch justice!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks, Juan. I saw the orange stitching one before and while I like it well enough, I was afraid it would not breath. Do you think it might be hot and uncomfortable on a hot day?

I take pretty good care of my Citizen, and while I am due to polish it, the pictures are from my cell phone and do not do the watch justice!
Ah that explains it, which reminds me, I think I'm long overdue for my monthly polish too. Some of my watches are looking pretty shoddy about now haha.

Anyway, as for the strap, it's probably the strap that I wear most often during summertime, specifically because it doesn't feel sticky against the skin like a leather strap does. It's a bit hard to describe, but due to the texture, it feels like the strap wicks away sweat and heat. I noticed that when I go jogging during the day, it doesn't tend to trap heat nor get hot at all. And the best part is I don't need to worry about it when I go swimming or anything.

I definitely do like wearing this much better than my leather ones as an everyday kind of strap, and it's pretty sharp-looking to boot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts