WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum but have been reading it for a couple of years now.

I would appreciate as suggestions of WUS members recommended watches around the £150-£250 price range. I have a large build (big boned ;-)) and therefore am looking for a big watch. It can be any type, chrono, auto etc.

Thanks is advance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Seiko Orange Monster - the mainstay of the WUS Affordables forum!
You can find them on Ebay for ~$150.00 shipped from the far east.

:gold

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Hi -

Here is a watch that I think would be an excellent option: the Precista 89 100 metre chronograph from Eddie Platts. It's 185 Quid, which fits your price range really well.

Now, it's a quartz, but a quartz with a difference: it's a 27-jewel ETA 251.262, which is the same calibre that goes into watches selling for significantly more (Tag-Heuer, Revue-Thommen etc). It has a split-timing mode, which means basically you can have two things being timed more or less at the same time...

And it's very, very British on top of that. Eddie Platts, the man behind the watch, has been involved in making some spectacular watches, with his Dreadnaught being perhaps his best effort. I've bought from Eddie and, given the chance, can only praise him.

This is quite a watch for the money: to get anything near it, you'd have to spend quite a bit more (multiples thereof!), and I'm seriously considering getting it as a beater. Eddie wanted to put a Lemania 5100 in it, but can't get them anymore: I think he's done the next best thing. The ETA calibre is about as fine a quartz chrono movement as you are going to find outside of the temperature-compensated movements (which can get really expensive...).

Lug to lug, 44.5 mm. Fairly big for your wrists...

And consider this: where else are you going to get a split-timing mode watch for that kind of money? This is, bluntly, one of the real bargains out there.

Ah, the usual disclaimer: I've bought from Eddie, but have no other connections, and have received no compensation in any form for this or any other message about Eddie and his watches... :)

That said: you might want to consider looking at something built around the Unitas movement (it's a pocket watch movement that is nowadays often used to build large wristwatches). Don't know of any particularly good watches, though.

JohnF

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi

If you like retro you could consider an Archimede Pilot Fleiger auto
it's dial diameter is 42mm. with a leather strap it's around £180 delivered.

If Quartz floats your boat the Precista suggested by JohnF is worth more than a look.

You could also look at various Seiko/ Citizen divers & chronos.

Hope this helps

Rob

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Chops I just wanna know why it took you 2 years of "lurking" before you piped in??? :-d :-d ;-)
Welcome aboard finally and hopefully we'll hear from you a bit more often!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody, enough there to get me started. The Precista 89 sounds and looks interesting. I am a fan of the Dreadnaught, great looking watch. Archimede is a name i have come across also but have never researched, so will be looking at that one too.

I have also been looking at the Seiko SNA411 Flightmaster, its a great looking watch for the money. If anyone has come across it or owned one before, any info would be great.

Thanks guys. Will def pipe in more often . Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts