WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting a watch that would fill my sub second dial watch slot.
I've seen a couple of nice Girard Perregaux and want to know if it would be a good choice.

From what I've read, the gyromatic and sea hawk seem to be the ones to get. However, I've seen a number
of 17 jewel watches that look to fit the look I'm after.

Any suggestions? If I get a girard should it be a gyromatic?
Any suggestions on another vintage watch with nice sub second? I'm looking for watches that have some sort
of historical significance and with sturdy movements that won't end up being a headache...

Regards,

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I really like my G-P. It has the feel of real quality. Mine is a 17j bumper automatic which is pre-gyromatic. The gyromatic has a good reputation as an auto. I don't know much beyond this...Here is a picture of mine - I am guessing this is something like what you are looking for.

GP Wrist.jpg GP-Movement.jpg

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like my G-P. It has the feel of real quality. Mine is a 17j bumper automatic which is pre-gyromatic. The gyromatic has a good reputation as an auto. I don't know much beyond this...Here is a picture of mine - I am guessing this is something like what you are looking for.
Yes, those are the one's I've been seeing, very nice looking watch. How smooth is the sweep on the second hand?
I'm also curious about the case weight...

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
I think all GP watches are worth their market price as I see them as generally undervalued. But the good condition non-redials do cost more... I suspect the watch Paleotime pictured is a redial.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Might consider a "hand wound" GP.

A number of sub second versions are usually available. Here's an 18K version with an A. Schild movement:

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
My Gyromatic is at the spa right now so I don't have a pic to post...but it's definitely a very elegant and well made watch. I've been wanting to add another GP to my collection...you really can't go wrong with them.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
How smooth is the sweep on the second hand? I'm also curious about the case weight...
Second hand moves right along - smoothly - no fits or starts. The watch is a reasonable heft, no heavy but not light.

I suspect the watch Paleotime pictured is a redial.
Possibly...if so it is a really old redial. The photo I posted minimizes the patina on the dial. The dial lacks the V-notch that I associate with most redials. I really can't say with certainty whether or not it is redialed.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

View attachment 571721
Is the font on this watch correct? I've seen a couple variations on the GP font...

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
A much used GP calibre with sub seconds is 03 (17 jewels). I have an early 60's, SS, manual winder with a 03 that I like very much. It is also a very good performer (~+10"/ day) in the upside-down position!
17 jewel movements are a sort of standard at vintage GP. Up till the 80s the majority of movements offered were 17; 39 jewels movements were also popular players.
Following what you said, 17 J should be fine for your collection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts