WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that I'm slowly outing myself as a complete lunatic but, as I'm revving up for the Bears game (that's American football, for our overseas friends), I have to admit to a certain watch superstition.
Yeah, I know, a Chicago Bears fan in Wisconsin is nuts, in itself, but I'm a transplant from Illinois, and always a Bears fan.

Since the start of the season, I've been been wearing the same watch, every Sunday: my "Bears colors" Chronolympic.

Ok, every Sunday except one, two weeks ago. I was out of town and ended up watching the game at my brother's house, and I didn't have it with me. You know what? We lost for the first and only time this season, and to the Dolphins!!! How could I have let the team down like that?!?!

Really, I'm not crazy, and I consider myself a fairly rational, logical person, but you won't catch me wearing another watch on Sunday, for the rest of the season.

GO BEARS!!!​

So, how about you guys? Does anyone else have a watch superstition? Please, tell me I'm not the only one!

eric

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yeah, I know, a Chicago Bears fan in Wisconsin is nuts, in itself, but I'm a transplant from Illinois, and always a Bears fan.
First thing I thought since I'm a Chicago native!:-!

Glad to know you're a Bears fan and don't wear the wedge of cheese on your head.
(Now I need to explain that to everyone...) :-D

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not A Chance!!!

First thing I thought since I'm a Chicago native!:-!

Glad to know you're a Bears fan and don't wear the wedge of cheese on your head.
(Now I need to explain that to everyone...) :-D
I have to personally apologize for letting us down, Russ. That Dolphins loss should never had happend.

I grew up in a small town a couple hours southwest of Chicago. After college, I spent a few years in Kansas City and then moved to Madison a few years ago. It's always, always been the Bears. As much as I love our Wisconsin cheese, you'll never, ever see me do something like this.

eric

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tough break

It's not a watch superstition ...... but every time my daughter has worn her Eagles sweatshirt they have lost!!!!!:-(

My wife a Vikings fan won't let me get her a NEW one!O|
You must have had her dressed up in her sweatshirt, stocking cap and little booties today, Henry. Tough break for you guys with McNabb.

eric

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aww, it was nothin'

Eric,
Keep wearing the Chronolympic. It worked today!

Bears 10 / Jets 0 :-!
Aww shucks, Russ. It was nothin'. I really should give a little credit to TJ and Mr. Urlacher. They were probably just as important to the win as I was.

eric

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have only had my PO for a little while so I haven't developed any superstitions. I don't really have enough watches to wear any different ones.

Although I do like to wear my Liverpool (soccer club for non Europeans) scarf when I am watching an important game. I got it out in the last 10 minutes of a cup final and we scored and took the game into extra time where we won.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Re: Tough break

You must have had her dressed up in her sweatshirt, stocking cap and little booties today, Henry. Tough break for you guys with McNabb.

eric
Well ....... she actually had the hoodie, sweats and a little mini Eagles jersey on ....... and was swaddled up in an Eagles blanket.:-S

I may have to borrow that Liverpool scarf ....... actually I'll stick with the Eagles gear and hope for a high draft pick!:gold

·
Registered
530 Posts
....slowly Eric? :roll: ;-)

No superstitions as yet......but i have my first job interview for eleven years in a weeks time(!).....I'm not sure what watch i'm going to wear but one of my 1950s bumpers (see attached....suggestions?). You can bet that if it goes well and i get through to second interview that I'll be wearing the same as i did for the first!

Cheers for now

P.S. My current plan is to go or the cal. 351 - as you can see, the 355 is still on her bracelet.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Simple logic

....slowly Eric? :roll: ;-)
Oh, if I said everything that I thought, it would have been confirmed long ago.

No superstitions as yet......but i have my first job interview for eleven years in a weeks time(!).....I'm not sure what watch i'm going to wear but one of my 1950s bumpers (see attached....suggestions?). You can bet that if it goes well and i get through to second interview that I'll be wearing the same as i did for the first!

Cheers for now

P.S. My current plan is to go or the cal. 351 - as you can see, the 355 is still on her bracelet.
Yeah, the c.351 looks lucky, but there's more. If you multiply the first two numbers of the movement caliber, then add the third, then subtract the first two, you're left with 7, which is a very lucky number. Simple logic!

Good luck, Colin (not that you should need it, now)!

eric

·
Registered
530 Posts
Re: Simple logic

Yeah, the c.351 looks lucky, but there's more. If you multiply the first two numbers of the movement caliber, then add the third, then subtract the first two, you're left with 7, which is a very lucky number. Simple logic!

Erm.....can you double check that for me....there i was thinking the job was mine, now my confidence is waning!!

Anyway matey, I thank you for your continued support :-D

Colin

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Math is scary

Erm.....can you double check that for me....there i was thinking the job was mine, now my confidence is waning!!

Anyway matey, I thank you for your continued support :-D

Colin
Oh, of course, you should subtract the total of the three numbers. How silly of me, because that just makes so much more sense. So, you multiply the first two numbers of the movement caliber, then add the third, then subtract the total of the three; then you're left with 7.

Whew, that should be a real confidence boost!

eric

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Not A Chance!!!

I have to personally apologize for letting us down, Russ. That Dolphins loss should never had happend.

I grew up in a small town a couple hours southwest of Chicago. After college, I spent a few years in Kansas City and then moved to Madison a few years ago. It's always, always been the Bears. As much as I love our Wisconsin cheese, you'll never, ever see me do something like this.

eric
I'm actually in the reverse situation of you Eric as I went to college in Madison for years and have now moved to a suburb of Chicago as of late. I do make it to most every home Badger game however.

Wow has the Bears gear come out in full force since they've been winning lately, the Packer items in my cubicle get a lot of comments (the Pack did manage to beat the lowly Dolphins this year). I am hoping for a bit of redemption come New Years eve at Soldier Field. I plan on attending the game, Cheesehead and Speedy Pro on in order to start a fresh superstition of winning for the Packers (Notice, I did not have the watch on for the drumming against the Patriots this past weekend)!

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great fans...on both sides

I'm actually in the reverse situation of you Eric as I went to college in Madison for years and have now moved to a suburb of Chicago as of late. I do make it to most every home Badger game however.
Very interesting. I have a friend who is in the same boat as you. I've made it to a few Badger football games, but I get more excited about their hockey team.

Wow has the Bears gear come out in full force since they've been winning lately,
You mean, since the beginning of football season? ;-) Come on, you can't be implying that Bears fans are "fair weather." Soldier Field has sold out every game for decades, even through those stinky seasons. I'll give due credit to the devotion to the Pack, but Bears fans are every bit as dedicated.
the Packer items in my cubicle get a lot of comments (the Pack did manage to beat the lowly Dolphins this year).
Yeah, I get some odd looks wearing my Bears cap, when I walk the pooch, but I think Bears and Packer fans, as die-hard as they are, can be pretty civil. And, I won't comment on the Dolphins.
I am hoping for a bit of redemption come New Years eve at Soldier Field. I plan on attending the game, Cheesehead and Speedy Pro on in order to start a fresh superstition of winning for the Packers (Notice, I did not have the watch on for the drumming against the Patriots this past weekend)!
I was at the '91 Bears-Cowboys Wildcard game with a crazy Dallas fan. After our loss, it was a long walk to the car, as he hooted and hollered in his Cowboys jersey.

As for the NYE game, may the best team win!

eric

·
Registered
867 Posts
So, how about you guys? Does anyone else have a watch superstition? Please, tell me I'm not the only one!

eric
Well, I wore my trusty Omega Seamaster Pro 2254.50 to the Purdue vs. Indiana Old Oaken Bucket game this past Sunday in West Lafayette, Indiana. My Purdue Boilermakers won! So I guess, I'll have to wear this watch again for the Purdue vs. Hawaii game this Satarday. :-!

BTW, From the SW Chicago Burbs, Go Bears!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
No particular watch superstitions, here. In fact, I can't remember what I was wearing when our "lowly" Dolphins beat your beloved Bears. Same as 1985, IIRC. This what happens when you have too many turnovers against a good defense.

You beat ours (Pats, Bills and Jets) and we'll try to beat yours (Vikings and Lions [Thurs.]). Too late for the Pack, though.

Hope the Bears make it to the Super Bowl and you guys come down here and spend lots of money shopping for watches.

As a UF grad, I'm very happy to see Rex Grossman doing so well. And I'll get a little off topic by asking, what's the deal with Michigan not losing any ground in the BCS? That loss makes then 2nd in the Big Ten, not the nation.

Take care,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not my word!

gatorcpa said:
No particular watch superstitions, here. In fact, I can't remember what I was wearing when our "lowly" Dolphins beat your beloved Bears.
Whoa, that wasn't my word; asnigro said that (and, I think it might have been more as a dig at the Bears than the Dolphins). I think you guys have a much better team than your record suggests. I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up with a winning record this year.
Same as 1985, IIRC. This what happens when you have too many turnovers against a good defense.
Yup. I won't make excuses. We lost!

You beat ours (Pats, Bills and Jets) and we'll try to beat yours (Vikings and Lions [Thurs.]). Too late for the Pack, though.
Do it! I'm rootin' for ya, and we'll do what we can, on our end.
Hope the Bears make it to the Super Bowl and you guys come down here and spend lots of money shopping for watches.
We'll take any kind of suppor, regarless of the motivation ;-)
As a UF grad, I'm very happy to see Rex Grossman doing so well.
I think he's still getting his rhythm. I mean, for all intents and purposes, he's still a rookie, but I think he's got a nice, long career ahead of him.
And I'll get a little off topic by asking, what's the deal with Michigan not losing any ground in the BCS? That loss makes then 2nd in the Big Ten, not the nation.
Sorry, college football isn't my thing.

Take care,
gatorcpa
eric

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Eric -

Didn't mean to imply that you said "lowly". Sorry about that.

However, I as a loyal Dolphins fan, do not in my wildest dreams, believe Miami has a chance at a winning record this year.

No way the defense scores twice in a game again, and the offense is not getting it done on a consistent basis.

I'd be happy with beating the Lions tomorrow, hope for 8-8 this year, and a better start next year.

Maybe getting a starting quarterback might help. Harrington is Jay Fielder with a different number -- a good backup, but no more.

Happy Turkey Day,
gatorcpa

1 - 20 of 22 Posts